G'Day from Darwin

New to VWs or just new to Split Busses? Want to know more? This page is for people thinking about, or just getting into splits - ask your questions, get some free advice, members always happy to help out.

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

Cam Biscuit
DSKer

G'Day from Darwin

Post by Cam Biscuit »

Hello from a tropical member :shock:

Been lurking around here getting the lowdown and doing some research for a little while and thought it was time to say hi. Great site.

I don't have a whole lot of VW experience - when I was jackarooing north of Broken Hill after I left school my mates brother had a country buggy I did a few keys in as well as a DC ute known as the love machine! There was also an old beetle on the property that was used as a shooting bus!

Oh and my old man had a beetle or two back in the late 50's/early 60's that did plenty of k's driving between Adelaide and Sydney. Must see if there's any pics lurking about. My sister also had a Superbug that Renee Felkl in SA had breathed on somewhat that used to go like stink!

Attached is a pic of my air cooled love of the past 7 years or so. Its a '71 model which is specced out as a Group Nc historic race car. Runs a 2.3 litre twin plug engine and is rather entertaining to drive!

Whilst I love the car I think its time to move on and its up for sale. With the wife's permission I'm on the hunt for a SPLITTIE! This is also something that will be shared with my sister and her kids while they're still young enough to want to go in it! I really need to sell the Porsche 1st but I guess if the right car pops up we might be able to wing it....

Ideally will be looking for a camper of some sort, either original or a converted 11 window but would also look to do a camper fit out as well on a microbus. Prefer something already restored or rust free in good nick body wise. It would be nice if it had a 1800 or bigger donk and IRS but will look at anything really!

Pitty Gazzas bus sold, I had a look at it in person at a car gathering one day - very nice!

Anyway I'm sure to be bombarding you with questions in due course. And if anyone is taking their splitty to Phillip Island on the 10th & 11th to watch the historic racing let me know I'd love to catch up. There was a few there on display last time I went down.

Cheers fellas

Cam
Attachments
Rapid Entertainment
Rapid Entertainment
tn1.JPG (36.12 KiB) Viewed 3743 times
okrasa power
DSKer

Nice

Post by okrasa power »

Welcome mate, should still be a few splitties hidding up
Your way? Love the 911 - who built your 2.3L?
Anyway go Kombi hunting and good luck

Mikki
MID WEST DUBBER
DSKer

Post by MID WEST DUBBER »

Welcome :)

Rusty.
Cam Biscuit
DSKer

Post by Cam Biscuit »

Thanks Guys

Mikki not so many splittys up here that I've seen unfortunately :(

Mark Poole Motorsport in Adelaide looks after the Porsche and they also built the engine. He has plenty of 356 parts as well but it looks like you have sold yours now! Lots of VW history also with Mark and his dad Keith in SA. Both pretty handy behind the wheel in their day in Formula V etc.