G'day (I am a newbie) - some thoughts on this one

New to VWs or just new to Split Busses? Want to know more? This page is for people thinking about, or just getting into splits - ask your questions, get some free advice, members always happy to help out.

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

Ian 68
DSKer

Post by Ian 68 »

Nick,

Another thing I learned is not to be afraid to ask any questions.
No matter how trivial or silly you may think the question maybe you will get an answer on here.
Good luck
Ian
Proudly sponsored by Cunado wear.
zeuspig
DSKer

Post by zeuspig »

No probs.

If you restore it yourself the bus will mean a great deal more to you when you have completed it and you will know what you have and that it was done right (hopefully)

I have seen others buy shiney cars in the past, that look great only to find out of the hidden dramas that lay beneath later on.

It can be quiet enjoyable restoring a bus, but I tell ya there has been many times that I have had enough and thought what the hell am I doing!!!
mainebugs
DSKer

Post by mainebugs »

who ended up getting this was in bendigo today (im from castlemaine) picking up one of the others with MGB this thing is pretty darn solid apart from the bullet holes and cargo floor, they all came from a hippy commune in the grampions and the bloke who owned them and got pissed off one day and as they were all in a line hit the first one (green 62 11winda) into the second (DD panel) and then into the third (mango 11 winda).
headstone
DSKer

Post by headstone »

welcome dabs ,i have been reading this thread thinking "i hear ya " last year i purchased a full resto required bus for $600 thinking thats cheap. now not being one who can weld i got someone to look at it and was looking at about 20k just to get the body right.Not including motor,running gear,seats,paint ect $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$http://www.melburgluft.com/viewtopic.php?t=6824

So i was lucky to find a very good bus for 9k that had been in a accident that was a easy repair . 9 k later i have a regod,roadworthy,drivable bus that took 6 weeks to fix instead of 6 years.

Look around ,take your time ask any questions you can think of ,find some one who has done this before and learn everything you can.ask,ask ask .This site is full of great people with lots of knowldge on splittys (except for shaven he thinks that only about dc) .viewtopic.php?t=10900

Good luck
Last edited by headstone on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
60 panel
martinigreenbus
DSKer

Post by martinigreenbus »

Nice explanation ZeusPig, wish I had of done the same :roll:

Headstone, wanna buy it back now you have finished the PV? :lol: :lol: :lol: I'll sell it to ya cheap, got another one anyway :lol:

Thanks for your help today Mainebugs, RESPECT!

And the mango looking bus was certainly nice, straight and worth the effort to have a look....

If you after a resto bus that was clean and easy, that was it Dabs... You should've bid more, it's only money... We saw this today and it was pretty neat.....