Aussie bus in the UK

New to VWs or just new to Split Busses? Want to know more? This page is for people thinking about, or just getting into splits - ask your questions, get some free advice, members always happy to help out.

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

pmg
Newly Converted

Aussie bus in the UK

Post by pmg »

Hi, Iv had aircooled vw's for about 5 years now. My first was a bay window crew cab which i no longer own and last summer i bought a splitty. It has never seen UK roads but been in the country about 6 years.
Its an ex PMG van. Im hoping to learn more about it, as there are some strange holes here there that arnt standard.

Heres are some pics its a 57 panel. I havnt done much work to it apart from rubbing through the og paint. I was planning on doing the work myself but since i bought my missis is now pregnant so i may have to pay for it to be done other wise it may never get finished.

Last edited by pmg on Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
MID WEST DUBBER
DSKer

Post by MID WEST DUBBER »

Looks like a good project :) and welcome to dsk.
Cheers Rusty
pmg
Newly Converted

Post by pmg »

Thanks for the welcome, whats left of it is pretty much solid. Does any one no what the small holes on the dash and on the roof were for?
barny
DSKer

Post by barny »

yes , they had radio gear in them when they were in service with pmg they had extinguishers, log book holders , idiot signage on the dash, extra warning lights and switches,aerial in the roof, anti syphonage spring in fuel neck and a chain on the fuel cap! that should explain some of the holes you have encounted the rest well that could just be the 1980's man... :wink:
pmg
Newly Converted

Post by pmg »

Thanks for that, ye that cleared up a few mysteries. Defiantly got some 80's holes, quite a lot actually.
vwjon
DSKer

Post by vwjon »

PMG stands for "post master general" your van was a postal van / telecoms van, in the 70's the two parted and now we have Aus post, and telstra. a similar thing happened in the UK.

its difficult to tell which group your van worked for, but more pics might help the gurus on here!

i have a 76 high lite ex-pmg (aus post) van
you only need 2 things in life, duck tape and WD40, if it moves and shouldn't - use the duck tape, if it dosen't move and should - use the WD40.
pmg
Newly Converted

Post by pmg »

Dose any one the paint code of the PMG red?
IN2VWS
DSKer

Post by IN2VWS »

I have the codes and formulas, but they may not help you as todays paints are made differently. i.e. the PMG Red formula contains 8% lead. Can you still buy lead based paints?

PMG red:
Duco Dulux Formula
P.M.G. RED
code - 300-09751
Tinter (Setting)
01040 Deep Red (186)
01025 Bright Orange (310)
01019 Reduced Black (312)
01040 Deep Red (500)

Not sure how mixing paint works, but I don't understand why tinter 01040 is added twice????

Dulon Formula:
code - 566-09751
Tinter (Setting)
16932 Deep Red (418)
00740 Reduced Black (448)
16927 Bright Orange (496)
01012 White (500)

........................or, just get your paint colour matched.
Love is like a fart,
If you have to force it, it's probably shit.
pmg
Newly Converted

Post by pmg »

Thanks for all the info. I am slowly staring the resto at last and does any one know what the (what looks like) aluminium strip screwed to the top of the rear door is for its goes the width of the door above the window?. No its not the hinge.
HELMUT
DSKer

Post by HELMUT »

I think it was like a rain gutter for when the door was up, to stop water running down through the hinge??
winerot
The Chairman

Post by winerot »

HELMUT wrote:I think it was like a rain gutter for when the door was up, to stop water running down through the hinge??
when doing paper run in the rain i have been caught out with that happening, water fills up small window then all of a sudden :shock: .
http://mirrorimageweddings.com.au/
I am seatless none nudda zero zilch, have some lefties seeing that's the flavour of the month :oops: