Hi, and some advice

New to VWs or just new to Split Busses? Want to know more? This page is for people thinking about, or just getting into splits - ask your questions, get some free advice, members always happy to help out.

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

c4k4
Newly Converted

Hi, and some advice

Post by c4k4 »

Hi all. New to dsk and just wanted some advice. Considering purchasing my first splitty ( if the misses gives the ok ) and just how do you tell the difference between surface rust and the cancerous stuff especially on the underside of a bus. Cheers Craig
warb
Mod

Post by warb »

Welcome mate, if you can jam your finger though it, it's probably not surface rust
c4k4
Newly Converted

Post by c4k4 »

Cheers, makes sense. ill have to give that one a try.
IN2VWS
DSKer

Post by IN2VWS »

Hi,

With all these buses, the amount of rust you can see on the outside, is twice as bad underneath or where you can't see it.
Love is like a fart,
If you have to force it, it's probably shit.
63 left hooker
DSKer

Post by 63 left hooker »

Welocome mate, where are you and what buses are you looking at?
61 dc
67 beetle
jvm
DSKer

Post by jvm »

Mate, theres plenty of knowledgable people on here....all of which will have got that the hard way!! So they've been where you are now

There will be people near you that can help with evaluations and advice and always post any questions and details of potential buys - chances are the bus will be known by someone.

Above all, don't be afraid to ask
Remember, there are no stupid questions, only opportunities....to learn and for others to take the piss! :wink:

Oh and Welcome, good luck with the bus hunt
morts
DSKer

Post by morts »

First mistake, consulting the missus - get the bus in your shed and then tell her the good news!

Good luck with finding a bus - and your marriage...
No matter what happens they can't take you out in the street and shoot you......
winerot
The Chairman

Post by winerot »

morts wrote:First mistake, consulting the missus - get the bus in your shed and then tell her the good news!

too true, do as i do buy it & cop shit when it turns up for a few days then its all good :lol: :lol: .
i will be in the dog house very soon & for a long while.
http://mirrorimageweddings.com.au/
I am seatless none nudda zero zilch, have some lefties seeing that's the flavour of the month :oops:
coastal kombi
DSKer

Post by coastal kombi »

Craig surface rust will usually come off with a light sand and be more like a dust on top. Cancerous stuff will tend to bubble and sit proud, if you tried to sand this would probably open up a hole. Like warb says anything bad and a screwdriver will go straight through it.
Is it from out west ie dry climate of somewhere by the coast?
Shaven
DSKer

Post by Shaven »

winerot wrote:
morts wrote:First mistake, consulting the missus - get the bus in your shed and then tell her the good news!

too true, do as i do buy it & cop shit when it turns up for a few days then its all good :lol: :lol: .
i will be in the dog house very soon & for a long while.
craig... you have 2 options.
1. get rid of the missus OR
2. by a push bike...
option B is good.
nahhh welcome mate. enjoy DSK... depends what you want & your BUDGET... your budget... not the wife's :P
ohhh & the 2 wise men above... they know :shock: :lol:
cheers matty
Only those whom drive a Dual Cab, Know what real driving is all about