New Member from Canberra

New to VWs or just new to Split Busses? Want to know more? This page is for people thinking about, or just getting into splits - ask your questions, get some free advice, members always happy to help out.

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

Train Driver
Newly Converted

New Member from Canberra

Post by Train Driver »

Hi all - I purchased my first split, a 67 Bus a little while ago and am keen on becoming involved and part of the split community. My bus had been sitting out in the weather for a few years, like about 15 or so and has a nice moss covered rusty roof, although no holes. I am in the early process of stripping it down to its shell so I can throw it into the rotisserie and start from scratch to bring it back to life. As soon as I work out how to add pics etc, I'll start posting some as I progress through the restore. Looking forward to meeting new people and making new friendships.
Ian 68
DSKer

Re: New Member from Canberra

Post by Ian 68 »

Nice one mate, welcome to DSK.
Proudly sponsored by Cunado wear.
Leroy
DSKer

Post by Leroy »

Welcome to DSK,

Looking forward to seeing pics, and the resto unfold 8)
2018 Year of the Barndoor
HELMUT
DSKer

Post by HELMUT »

Hey. Where in Canberra are you?
Ted2
DSKer

Post by Ted2 »

Struth...another Canberra split ?
Cam Biscuit
DSKer

Post by Cam Biscuit »

Welcome aboard to another '67 owner!
Train Driver
Newly Converted

Post by Train Driver »

Where about's in Canberra am I? - I'm in Canberra's most elite suburb, Queanbeyan, which is actually closer to Canberra than most Canberra suburbs. I put down Canberra, cause most people know where that is. So, do any of the Canberra members meet up at all for a coffee, or a beer or to check out each others splits? Would be more than keen to do so.
HELMUT
DSKer

Post by HELMUT »

Yeah there are a few vw peeps meeting for coffee this Saturday 2nd at buzz cafe in Fyshwick, there is a post on here somewhere??
I wont be there due to work.
ozjeff
DSKer

Post by ozjeff »

Please tell me you are leaving the moss covered roof :!:
Its a well known fact an OG SC will always be worth more than a DC with a checker plate tray, towel rails and PINK plates
Train Driver
Newly Converted

Post by Train Driver »

ozjeff - I'm torn! Full resto or the rat look, I'm still undecided. When I first bought it, I swore I would leave it as is and NOT ever wash it, that I would replace a few rusty bits and pieces around the bottom and get it registered. Well now I'm sorta leaning the full resto way, but I don't wanna wait the couple of years that it will take me. With some rust repairs for rego I could be on the road in a couple of months I guess. Faaaark, decisions, decisions.
ozjeff
DSKer

Post by ozjeff »

I have a full resto and rat split, the full resto sits in the garage and rarely gets driven, the rat is my daily driver, probably would never do a full shiny resto again unless the bus had OG paint already stripped. Leave the outside rat and do a nice interior, best of both worlds. You will always be scared to park your car places if you do a full resto
Its a well known fact an OG SC will always be worth more than a DC with a checker plate tray, towel rails and PINK plates
FrankenCab
DSKer

Post by FrankenCab »

keep it og and only replace the metal needed , then you can use and abuse it without a care ...theres plenty of restored busses out there and not enough with battle scars and history ..welcome and post pics ..jeff just fitted a big window to his shed so he can stare at his bus while dinking beer without touching it haha
Straight axle is better than IRS