Split camper

New to VWs or just new to Split Busses? Want to know more? This page is for people thinking about, or just getting into splits - ask your questions, get some free advice, members always happy to help out.

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

michelle
Newly Converted

Split camper

Post by michelle »

Hello!! I'm a split newbie. I've had a 64 bettle which I'm restoring for nearly a year now. But having just been to the Valla weekend, now feel that I absolutely must have a split bus. My husband and I drooled over all of your rides, sorry guys...
I have a question. At Valla I saw a purple and white split camper with a pop top. Is this a modification or is it original?
Cheers! :D
warb
Mod

Post by warb »

sounds like mandy's .. aka splittychick. check this out here .. http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/view ... ?tid=26173
Frogsta
DSKer

Post by Frogsta »

Split campers are rare in Aus.
Only proper camper tops seem to be westfalia,dorm mobile,devon normally imported privately in the early days thus the rareness.
There were a few smaller Aus conversion companys around or home made retrofit tops from 70's kombis and other vans.
I think you could special order a westfalia through VWaus in the day.
THats all I know maybe.
"-Hannovermetalmadness-"(Debilitating desease with no known cure).
crewcabconnection
Mod

Post by crewcabconnection »

Welcome...you should be able to get a windowed van all campered out like a new kitchen for under a grand. Like someone told me recently ... think about what you will actually need in a camper.

A microwave is probably of more use than a stove in Australia. Design and build it to do what you want, it really isnt that expensive...

A Westie like Dave Beckers will be hard to get and worth a lot of money. You can get close to it by getting a new interior made up and there are plenty of caravan parts sites that sell all the gear.

Isn't Mandys a panel van?

There are lots of panel conversions. Some more ugly than others...I like em they look period...but they are a good place to start.

and then there is HELMUT...destined to be an Bus ICON!...love that bus...

You can order in NEW pop top set ups from the UK...go the grinder.

Welcome to the dark side.
Cognitive Dissonance - The only way to grind.