Long time listener, first time caller- Sunny Coast.

New to VWs or just new to Split Busses? Want to know more? This page is for people thinking about, or just getting into splits - ask your questions, get some free advice, members always happy to help out.

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

axlepressbutton
DSKer

Post by axlepressbutton »

Beautiful combi's, both of them. I'll keep an eye out for them, would love to see them in the flesh.
kombi1976
DSKer

Post by kombi1976 »

axlepressbutton wrote: Image

I'd been looking out for one in reasonable condition for a couple of years. One of the leads I had was for one out on a farm in Toowoomba near where I used to live but the guy wasn't willing to sell. Every six months I'd make a call and ask the guy nicely and last month he said yes! I picked her up a few weeks ago.
That's a nice ute.
Any plans?
BTW, I love the front bumper.
It may not be standard but it looks cool.
Any story on what it was used for?
Cheers & God Bless

'62 Beetle
'62 Panel project
'67 Panel
axlepressbutton
DSKer

Post by axlepressbutton »

Not a bad rig for the money- I'm happy with the year too.

She's been off the road for a while. She used to be used around a farm for rabbit and roo shooting, hence the spotlight and the hand rails in the back where the shooters used to stand. I'm not sure about the bumper but its well made and strong as. It looks like something used to hinge of be towed from it.

The paint isn't original; she used to be Alabaster white/grey, which still remains inside. I'm going to strip her back and buff up the original colour; should come up fine. The roof has a beautiful rich orange crackle finish to it, that’s definitely staying!

I wanted a S.C. as a daily drive to carry stuff in so I'm not going to be too precious about it.
Plan is to get her on the rotisserie, rust repair and POR15 underneath. I'm going to match any repair panels to the original colour but keep all her lumps and bumps- it’s character! I'll get a match colour on the drop sides as best I can, drop her, narrow the beam and my sprintstars should suit her well. I have a 1600 twin port and a nice carb set-up for her too.

I’m looking for a treasure chest door, an engine lid and a rear bumper. Anything that fits will do for now if anyone can help?

As you can see from the crutches, I'm recovering from an accident at the moment. (I'm probably crawling around inside the treasure chest in this picture!)

I've got some time on my hands so hope when I'm able to get started that this one should be on the road pretty quickly.
Last edited by axlepressbutton on Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
zeuspig
DSKer

Post by zeuspig »

Sounds like you have it all worked out mte. Sounds like a good plan.

Looking forward to seeing more.
kombi1976
DSKer

Post by kombi1976 »

Those shootin' bars are pretty cool.
Wonder if they hung dead foxes off them... :|
I'm looking forward to seeing this one come together.
Cheers & God Bless

'62 Beetle
'62 Panel project
'67 Panel
Brewmaster
DSKer

Where near Toowomba?

Post by Brewmaster »

axlepressbutton wrote:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d35/a ... NewToy.jpg

I'd been looking out for one in reasonable condition for a couple of years. One of the leads I had was for one out on a farm in Toowoomba near where I used to live but the guy wasn't willing to sell. Every six months I'd make a call and ask the guy nicely and last month he said yes! I picked her up a few weeks ago.
Where abouts near Toowomba did you find this beauty?
jvm
DSKer

Post by jvm »

Looks like a 4 stud vw wheel in the shed - Do you know what its bolted to??