Another Newbie Brit

New to VWs or just new to Split Busses? Want to know more? This page is for people thinking about, or just getting into splits - ask your questions, get some free advice, members always happy to help out.

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

jvm
DSKer

Re: Transporting split

Post by jvm »

Jono wrote:Hey,

I am about to transport a split from the UK, if you don't mind me asking how much did you pay? How difficult was it and anything tips?

Thanks
Hi, my split gets picked up in two weeks along with all our household stuff Before then I've got to weld a section of the cab floor back in, refit all the steering, pedal assemblies, make up brake lines and refit all the brakes. The engine needs fitting and all the interior taking out. :shock:
Its not coming over as a runner but theres still a lot to do!

I can't tell you how much it is to ship just the van as we have a 40ft container to take all our stuff too which is costing just short of £6k. Once its landed (should be end of October) I'll let you know the customs costs.
It was straight forward getting the import approval, just needed to email scans of the UK Logbook and a letter stating I didn't have a purchase document (Which you are supposed to produce). Its being imported under section 4 which is for vehicles older than 1989.
As the log book proves I've owned it for 14 years, there was no problem getting it approved even though I'll be there under a temp Visa

Cheers
Keith
Frogsta
DSKer

Post by Frogsta »

Come on over!
Uk crew moving here are making our split scene advance in all aspects.
Downside is you will have to change your name to
Keef.
"-Hannovermetalmadness-"(Debilitating desease with no known cure).
jvm
DSKer

Post by jvm »

Frogsta wrote:Come on over!
Uk crew moving here are making our split scene advance in all aspects.
Downside is you will have to change your name to
Keef.
Cheers Frogsta

I'm just looking forward to not having to camp in a damp boggy field....in summer!! lol :D