TIN-BITS
DSKer

Post by TIN-BITS »

Mine corners great as well and is a great driver
1965 13 Window Walk Through Deluxe
Kendall
DSKer

Post by Kendall »

with a 1500 bug box it was flat out @100kph to get rid of positive camber you have to slam the ass so low if you hit a rough road or pot holes it feels like youre having a prostate exam.Maybe my shocks were shaged,drop spindles would have been better,But you need two jacks to change tyres one to lift the car & one to push the springplate down I also had to remove the lower shockie bolt to get the tyre out of the wheelarch.If you need to remove the box your entire suspension comes out so the car is stuck where it sits (with irs A arms hubs & wheels stay attached)Lots of other things i can think of at the moment. I know klaus like swing axle & thats cool but i hated it & regretted wasting money on it.Besides volkswagen felt it necessary to change to IRS way back in 1968 who are we to argue
splitbus
DSKer

Post by splitbus »

I have straight axle, one standard Kombi jack gets my wheel off, no second jack needed to push spring plate down
Mike |o\*/o| 55 11 Window

I don't have a bucket list I have a fu#kit list a mile long
TIN-BITS
DSKer

Post by TIN-BITS »

With IRS and 195 x 75 tyres i use 1 kombi jack and remove the shock from the lower mount to get the wheel off.
1965 13 Window Walk Through Deluxe
FrankenCab
DSKer

Post by FrankenCab »

you sure it was a 1500 box I've got the same and can sit on 110 -120 all day but the 1300 box is a lot worse revs go up .
Ah i've got discs without studs and its easy to drop the wheels out just and its a lipped guard .but with running drums on a straight lipped bus i'd just run adjustable spring plates and the empi 9650 shocks drop enough
Drop spindles make a big difference completely changed driving comfort.
Bugs still had swing axle well into the 70's which is late model in my world :) , its simple does the job and you dont have to fk around with irs pivot location as i've followed many a bus with weird camber on one side.
If i want irs I'll drive a bay :P
Kendall
DSKer

Post by Kendall »

werent those bugs povety pack standard models or 1200 or 1300 versions? I read some where VW changed to IRS due to safety concerns and pressure from motoring groups