straight axle 1600

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

dps
DSKer

straight axle 1600

Post by dps »

looking for the easiest way of putting in a 1600 and straight axle in splitty any body give me some good detail about putting in a 1600 twin port in a 50s split what is the best doner for this and straight axle how do i do this?will this engine bolt to my old gear box? if not what doner gear box should i use :?:
FrankenCab
DSKer

Post by FrankenCab »

you will have to clearance the stock gearbox for 1600 motor only a little so flywheel fits, straight axle on an early bus is a bit more involved as the gearbox mount is different to later splits.
about to do this aswell to a 57 so will put pics up. KCW and The Samba are your friends :wink:
splitbus
DSKer

Post by splitbus »

You need a pre 65 type 3 gearbox, has wide 5 and the bigger brakes then buy the straight axle kit off Bernie ( deluxehunter on here ) cut the shock mounts off put the nose cone off the split bus gearbox onto the type 3 box then bolt her straight in ( early splits nose cone is different ) what year is yours ?
Mike |o\*/o| 55 11 Window

I don't have a bucket list I have a fu#kit list a mile long
scotty*85vw
DSKer

Post by scotty*85vw »

i just did this to my 55.if yours is in the 50s it is a bit harder than after 60.s are,yep need the newer split nose cone and hockey stick to mount on the gearbox.
then you have to make or buy the nose cone mount...about 80bucks is solid steel and was told by a few people that it creats a fair bit of noise..i made one up it was easy and i got a cut of of po polyurathane to use as the spacer.

can try find a few pics if you want.

i used burnies kit took 5 mins to put in.
FrankenCab
DSKer

Post by FrankenCab »

use any swing box you really need the long axle long spline so you can run the type 3 drums or bug disc conversion. type 3's just have a better freeway ratio and wide 5 till 1968. you can use bug wide 5 but need a spacer on the axle spline under the nut which is a bit dodgy and the drums are smaller, or machine the snout off the split drums.
dps
DSKer

thanks for the help

Post by dps »

thanks for the help yeah startinh to get a handle on this. how do i find Bernis email or phone to get the kit? i like the photo scotty 85 whos the girrrl? :D
dps
DSKer

she is a 1956 split panel

Post by dps »

yeah the kombi is a 1956 so i guess it will be a bit harder. might just put a 1600 engine in with the old gear box for rego then do more mods afterwards
scotty*85vw
DSKer

Post by scotty*85vw »

yeah it took me awhile to work it all out aswell

waiting to see if it was worth all the hasel.

viewtopic.php?t=9316
this is a link to burnies add for the stuff

its kate moss
resol
DSKer

Post by resol »

Nice avatar Scotty :lol:
71 Lowie Dlx "Chubby"
CRUISE TIL YA BUTTS BRUISE :)
Kendall
DSKer

Post by Kendall »

Well heres an idea dont do it ! IRS it instead ive had 2 straight axle buses and that set up sucks ass.Go for indian autos bolt in kit
splitbus
DSKer

Post by splitbus »

Why did it suck :?:
Mike |o\*/o| 55 11 Window

I don't have a bucket list I have a fu#kit list a mile long
TIN-BITS
DSKer

Post by TIN-BITS »

I did the the IRS rear with single side plate bug box into my 66 with the 1600 and with a 4'' narrowed disc brake ball joint front end and it drives a treat. Very little problems at all.

Cheers.
1965 13 Window Walk Through Deluxe
FrankenCab
DSKer

Post by FrankenCab »

I've driven my straight axle bus daily and fkn great , you must have had it set up wrong . or not low enough :wink: .
Were you running a nice front end ie drop or flipped spindles or trying to run with adjusters set low with 50 series tyres ?
bay window bandit
DSKer

Post by bay window bandit »

Does this stop the wheels from wanting to tuck under when cornering? ie can you push the car a bit harder around bends?
A bad day cruzin' is better than a good day at work.
Mats.
68 Lowlight camper on Sprintstars.
1971 Beetle lowered on Empi 8 spokes.
warb
Mod

Post by warb »

ive never driven a straight axle, however id like to compare, mine is irs and corners schweet..