60 11 window

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

splitthis
DSKer

Re: 60 11 window

Post by splitthis »

Random little stuff

Chasing any Neiman steering lock parts, will consider anything.
chuck85
DSKer

Post by chuck85 »

Just looked through the photos u have put up.
Thats one hell of a project.
Awesome work. Looking great
ogrule
DSKer

Post by ogrule »

Mate you are really killing it - so much rust and you are getting through it bit by bit - well done
splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

I had a few days in the garage in the last 2 weeks and was able to make some progress. I had thought I was all done with gutter replacement after doing the long side but on closer inspection realised I would need to replace the corner gutter too. Started with this mess, just like down the side of the bus a new gutter had been braised on after what i'm assuming was a nasty side swipe at the same time the B-pillar and swage line were all smashed.

New piece of gutter going in, I cut the panel only big enough to repair the rust keeping as much OG steel as possible.

Then I fit the gutter strengthener (forgot a pic) and on to fitting the roof, I replaced it from the B-pillar all the way back to the corner. It's a long weld and takes lots of patience to avoid warping, the front half is almost perfect but i have a little low at the join on the rear 1/4 of the repair that will require some dolly work and a little skim.

splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

Once the long straight roof was done I was left with a small section of corner roof that needed to be replaced. Again i kept the patch as small as possible but not just because OG is better, the corner panels are shit, I'm glad I didn't need the whole thing because they would be a prick to get right.

Then what I HOPE was the last rust in the roof, just above the hatch.

And the roof and gutter are done!!

On to some easier stuff, I had rot in the bottom of the rear most window frame and the front window frame where I had re-skinned the B pillar, I also had to weld up the swage line where the new section joined up and replace a small part of the long panel that was removed for the B pillar repair.

red hot bus
DSKer

Post by red hot bus »

Awesome work Matt getting closer
Way too many projects
Cam Biscuit
DSKer

Post by Cam Biscuit »

Great work Matt, looking forward to seeing it in the flesh.

Its amazing how much work these things can take to get back to being on the road.
Ged
DSKer

Post by Ged »

Thanks for sharing this, it is amazing
Ged

57 11window project
64 Standard Beetle
69 Lowlight
70 CB100 x 2
rusty 55
DSKer

Post by rusty 55 »

Top work mate, it is a credit to you. It's going to be an awesome bus
it’s got nuffin to do wiv yer “vor sprung Durch technic” ya know!
gaz
DSKer

Post by gaz »

Nice work
braddick
DSKer

Post by braddick »

Mate top work as always
C u in a few weeks
Looking forward to your advice on the Mingo mango
Cheers
morts
DSKer

Post by morts »

Stellar stuff Matt - it is an amazing turnaround.
No matter what happens they can't take you out in the street and shoot you......
splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

Thanks guys. It really should have been finished a couple of years ago, between life getting in the way and temporary loss of motivation it's taken longer than expected. I really am on the home stretch welding wise though so hopefully some paint will start flying next year (finances allowing).

Heres a few pics of a fun little project I did a little while ago. I plan on running both semaphores and indicators but the bus will be 12v. To run the sems on 12v you need a resistor inline to drop the juice to 6v. The problem is resistors heat up so they need a heatsink attached to stop from burning up. A normal person would just bolt them to a piece of ally and be done with it.....but i'm not normal. I've wanted to do some CAD stuff for a while but had no idea what I was doing, after a 40 minute lesson from Mick (thanks mate) I was off and designing the worlds most over-engineered heatsink. Obviously increased surface area equals increased heat reduction so that was the aim, this is what I came up with.

I have 2 because when having indictors and sems you need to split AFTER the switch. If you were only running sems you could wire one resistor in before the switch.

I had planned to get 10 or so cut and then sell them as assembled units but because of the intricacy of the design they were bloody expensive to have cut on the waterjet (about $45 each) so by time you include the resistor and the time to assemble I reckon it's a pretty limited market of idiots like me who would pay $65 a pop for one :lol: . If anyone is interested in having one cut themselves I have the dwg/dxf files and can email them to you for a beer 8) .
rabidkombi
DSKer

Post by rabidkombi »

That's awesome work
braddick
DSKer

Post by braddick »

Any updates
Was hoping to go thro your build thread but photobucket has f##ked another good build thread