G'day from Bundaberg

New to VWs or just new to Split Busses? Want to know more? This page is for people thinking about, or just getting into splits - ask your questions, get some free advice, members always happy to help out.

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

mullerbugs
DSKer

G'day from Bundaberg

Post by mullerbugs »

Hi, i'm toying with the possibility of buying a split bus. It's not an urgent desire but definitely something which will happen.

I've been in Australia for just over a year having moved from London where i have owned an array of V dubs including a 64 Doormobile. I sold that early on to buy the missus a engagement ring but have yearned for one ever since. I've got a some nice original Empi bits to put on the bus when i do get it, regrettfully i left a load of stuff in the uk but if i get the bus i want it'll be pretty cool! Love the rat look stuff and loving the look of this site which i stumbled across by accident and has now got the urge going again!

In Bundaberg now so if theres anyone close by who's heavily into the scene be great to hook up, dont be scared to send me a message!

Catch some of you soon,

Shane
Ian 68
DSKer

Post by Ian 68 »

Hey Shane,

Not to sure who live up your way but there's bound to be a few up that way.

If you ever venture south towards the Sunny Coast theres a good few of us down in Caloundra.

A few of us are expats as well, we have regular ( ish ) piss take / gatherings and chat bollox,drink lots of coffee and generally take the piss and have a laugh. It's a good bunch down here if you ever fancy the trip South. Had a little gathering at Moffat beach last Sunday, think 8 buses in total and around 15 / 20 people including a few of our wife's girlfriends, think there are some pics in Anything goes..cruise to Moffat beach..that's a few of us anyways.

Welcome to DSK

Best
Ian
Proudly sponsored by Cunado wear.
mullerbugs
DSKer

Post by mullerbugs »

Cheers for the warm welcome Ian, i'd be up for a trip to Sunny Coast though do i have to stick a VW badge on my Toyota Camry??

There doesn't seem to be too much VW orientated happening up this way, seems to be more V8 and Hot rod orientated so keen to hook up with some dubbers.

Just give me a heads up when you guys are looking to meet up again, prob need a bit of warning so i can arrange work but thats easy enough. So i'm up for it.

Looking forward to talking bollocks and Split Bus envy!!

Cheers
Shane
Ian 68
DSKer

Post by Ian 68 »

Shane

We're talking about a get together every 4 weeks or so on the coast at one of the beaches.

Next one should be in may, it'll get posted up in the events / runs section so keep an eye out for it.

All being well it'll be around the 20th May, I think we going to try Kings Beach in Caloundra as it has more parking than Moffs..

Best

Ian
IN2VWS
DSKer

Re: G'day from Bundaberg

Post by IN2VWS »

mullerbugs wrote:Hi, i'm toying

hmmmmm.....no pictures please.....

Welcome to DSK. I hope you find a bus soon.

Cheers

John
Love is like a fart,
If you have to force it, it's probably shit.
067DUB
DSKer

Post by 067DUB »

G'day Shane, shopping for old VW's is great , heaps of folk here can help, not much gets past the DSK crew... :lol:
mullerbugs
DSKer

Post by mullerbugs »

Ian sounds good i'll provisionally pencil it in my diary but i'll def keep my eye on events calender.

When i say toying it's a given that i will buy one but having only recently moved out here fundage isn't sufficient to just go and buy what i would like and i possibly have to sell some bits (non vw) to make it all happen. I only really stumbled across this website by accident the day before yesterday and i'm hooked already!

It's also interesting to see what kind of money different models and conditions go for so at the moment its all an education but i will get one lads and become a proper DSKer.

Thanks heaps for the warm welcome too.
mullerbugs
DSKer

Post by mullerbugs »

So call me crazy but i went and picked up a bus.....but before you get excited i'll just let you know its f@*Ked!!!

Yes i know i need serious therapy but there was just something about it that i couldn't turn it down! It had apparently been bought by someone else who realised it was far too much for them to take on. Muggins over here, forever the dreamer loves a challenge so guess we'll see how it turns out!

I've been told its a 56 but i've yet to check out the chassis number to confirm and that it was from WA. It's solid up top, roofs got a ding which should be ok but all the gutters are good and the sides are relatively good. Floors need attention but ofcourse the obvious is the reconstruction it's gonna need to the front and the sourcing of parts to get this bus back on the road.

Thought the missus was gonna kill me but she told me to just go for it, saying that at least if i spent money on it, at least it'd be worth something when i'm done!

So as opposed to letting it just get ripped up or scrapped i'm going to try and save this one and if i can't then at least i tried and will have learnt some stuff along the way (like just turn around and run next time) but if in the event down the line it's on the road i'll feel an enormous sense of achievement.

Lets see how we go........
1956 11 Window (coz I'm crazy)
1977 Ford F100 V8 351 4x4 (coz I like being broke)
2011 HSV GTS (sorry bout that!)
Roo
DSKer

Post by Roo »

G'day Shane, welcome. Great to see you've finally found a bus mate. Beauty is in the eye of the Bus holder! Go for it. Plenty worse than that get resurrected. You just have to keep us updated with pics though!!
Cheers, Roo
Cheers, Roo
Ian 68
DSKer

Post by Ian 68 »

Nice one mate, well done, nice early bus, great patina as well !

Ian
Leroy
DSKer

Post by Leroy »

She can be saved! Glad to hear your going to have a go. Such perfect patina 8) Oh, and welcome......
2018 Year of the Barndoor
mullerbugs
DSKer

Post by mullerbugs »

Cheers for the positive feedback chaps 8), once i figure out a plan of action I'll start a project thread.
1956 11 Window (coz I'm crazy)
1977 Ford F100 V8 351 4x4 (coz I like being broke)
2011 HSV GTS (sorry bout that!)
Dibsy
DSKer

Post by Dibsy »

Great project, good luck with your resto mate !
evsky
DSKer

Post by evsky »

Hi mate apart from the front the rest looks straight enough love the paint. More pics please hows the inside.
FrankenCab
DSKer

Post by FrankenCab »

youll be surprised how well the factory steel comes back into shape ..port a power and maybe unpick rh pillar if its not rusted and get a green one from al and try n keep front skin ..cool project
Straight axle is better than IRS