61 Double Cab - Keep or Sell?

New to VWs or just new to Split Busses? Want to know more? This page is for people thinking about, or just getting into splits - ask your questions, get some free advice, members always happy to help out.

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

Waz17
Newly Converted

61 Double Cab - Keep or Sell?

Post by Waz17 »

Hi, my son owns a 75 Bay and we've just recovered a 61 double cab from a farm in Western NSW where he was working recently. I'm very tempted to have a go at restoring it but as a first-timer it may be a bit too much of a job. If I do restore it I'll have to pay him close to market price for it, as he needs the cash. Does anyone know what it is worth as-is? Some photos attached.

Interior is pretty clean (but bare). Some damage to LH front and floor pan.

The rear seat area is pretty clean but there are a few rust holes on the drivers-side floor and lower wall.

Engine bay is cleaner than some I've seen, but just lacks an engine.

The left hand and rear drop gates work well, as do the latches. RHS missing.

Roof and gutters only have minor surface rust.

Unfortunately the axle beams have been cut from the chassis beams. Hopefully repair sections can be found somewhere. Does anybody know what these sections are called and if they make them after-market???

There's bad rust on the bottom of both sides of the cab side panels, and the nose cone looks like its been kicked in, as well as running into something on the lower LHS, and probably needs replacing. For some reason they've also cut off the louvered sections on each side of the engine bay and welded in a solid piece, so these also need replacing.

Rear cargo deck is pretty solid, apart from a few holes and a patch of rust in the back LH corner.

Finally, the front doors are pretty buggered. Look like they've been jumped on. Probably not salvageable.

[/img]
FrankenCab
DSKer

Post by FrankenCab »

I'll give him 2.5k for it :) ..rear torsion housing has to be located from another bus , same as front sections where beam bolts up and steering box location , you would basically need a donor bus like the sc that was on ebay a few days ago from dubbo , is that it or does it have seats ? as these can be the hardest to find and expensive , on price with all the bits thats missing which you would have to refit using a jig to get everything located again and if no seats or bumpers were with it I'd say 2-10k depending on what he paid for it ,
One resonably complete one sold on ebay for 2500 but was rusty , I just paid 9500 for one that was complete bar a door n rear bumper and rusty :) ie no tray , rear floor , chassis sections , gates rusty , yeah alot of rust but it did come with seats n bits . Had to pay extra for sheet metal bits ,
Its a BIG job ahead of you as utes are normally used and abused and this one seems special .....If he/you wants to sell I'd be interested in a 3rd for my collection :) cash money ...

Or I'll swap you a complete 69dc thats needs rust work :)
Straight axle is better than IRS
Waz17
Newly Converted

Post by Waz17 »

Thanks FrankenCab. What you see is all there is (apart from 1 wheel and a petrol cap) :D
okrasa power
DSKer

big job

Post by okrasa power »

Wow massive job welding in the torsion tube and chassis rail, if any one can do it it's you klaus.

Hope you know what your getting in to.

Mikki
spl65t
DSKer

Post by spl65t »

Do it. Get the Rocking Horse for the collection. :)
Linz
Der Splitty.....slowest thing up the Blue Mtns, since Wentworth, Blaxland & Lawson :twisted:
FrankenCab
DSKer

Post by FrankenCab »

its special and its green ;)...swapsee's you know u want to...owes me 3500 call me 0428 427 986 ha ha
Attachments
Picture 372.jpg
Picture 372.jpg (159.33 KiB) Viewed 10310 times
Picture 371.jpg
Picture 371.jpg (150.41 KiB) Viewed 10310 times
winerot
The Chairman

Post by winerot »

owners hoping for $6000 to $8000, posted on kc
http://mirrorimageweddings.com.au/
I am seatless none nudda zero zilch, have some lefties seeing that's the flavour of the month :oops:
resinmonkey
DSKer

Post by resinmonkey »

Almost the twin of yours klaus! But 3 is definitely greedy!

Big job for sure- definitely wouldn't take that on without some pretty experienced help - but you are in the best place for help and support 8)
FrankenCab
DSKer

Post by FrankenCab »

oh well i can only offer :lol:
winerot
The Chairman

Post by winerot »

keep offering as mikki said big job & its a hacked shell with nothing else.
http://mirrorimageweddings.com.au/
I am seatless none nudda zero zilch, have some lefties seeing that's the flavour of the month :oops:
ozjeff
DSKer

Post by ozjeff »

Let someone buy it for $6k then it will be on ebay for half that in 6-12 months when you are ready for it klaus :wink:
Its a well known fact an OG SC will always be worth more than a DC with a checker plate tray, towel rails and PINK plates
Waz17
Newly Converted

Post by Waz17 »

Hi guys, yeah my son put it on the Kombi Club site, initially with no price but was told by moderator he had to put a price, so that's what he said (without asking me). If its worth $6-8 then I'm out.
FrankenCab
DSKer

Post by FrankenCab »

I'll sell u the lowlight one for 3500 alot better starting point :) has motor n bits and runs
martinigreenbus
DSKer

Post by martinigreenbus »

Sure it needs some work, but looks ok to me.....

And if you think those doors are too far gone, you might be better off not bothering with any resto...... They look pretty ok to me.

I agree on the 2-3k mark. I'd sell it for that if I had salvaged it.

Good luck, it's a big job. 8)
Waz17
Newly Converted

Post by Waz17 »

I thought the doors could be salvaged but I took them to a panel beater who does some resto work and he said he wouldn't waste time and money on them. They're prob a bit worse than they come across in the photo.