Hi everyone newbie needing help.

New to VWs or just new to Split Busses? Want to know more? This page is for people thinking about, or just getting into splits - ask your questions, get some free advice, members always happy to help out.

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

gregdonohue
DSKer

Hi everyone newbie needing help.

Post by gregdonohue »

Hi everyone , I'm new to the site and would like to say Hi , looking at some of the knowledge on here it looks like I am in the right place to not get stung when buying my first bus , I am looking for a nice splitty campervan , have spotted a few on the UK ebay site , which i happen to work over there so not a problem looking at the bus (not sure what I'm realy looking for though)but Iam trying to learn , hopefully not the hard expencive way,
here is one I like the look of I know its ended but it is still for sale ,I do have a friend on this site who is helping me big time any thoughts would be appreciated
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230864461782? ... 1438.l2649
Thanks Greg
kombi1976
DSKer

Post by kombi1976 »

Greg, this seems like common sense, but find a good aircooled VW repairer who knows Splits and have them do a report on the car.
It may cost you some money, here in Oz between $150 and $300, but they will spot anything you won't know to look for.
Certainly if you're dropping £10k+ on a car it's worth spending the dosh.
If you can't find a repairer contact SSVC (Split Screen Van Club) and ask them for help.
Cheers & God Bless

'62 Beetle
'62 Panel project
'67 Panel
68BUS
DSKer

Post by 68BUS »

Says its no longer for sale. You may have missed it??
Not too surprised if it was in good nick and only 14ooo pounds. Not a bad price.
Brad

1966 11 Window - Evie.

Volkswagen Kombi - The worlds Original Search Engine.
gregdonohue
DSKer

Post by gregdonohue »

Thanks for the input guy's relay appreciated.
The bus ibis still for sale. Just a bit concerned about the sun roof after reading all the post s about that one that went for 68k
Any advise would be welcome.
Thanks again
Greg
kombi1976
DSKer

Post by kombi1976 »

This is a bit less of a concern.
It has a bulkhead where the other one did not.
I suspect it may also have had a poptop fitted at some point in the past (judging by the size of the hole) so it may have some additional strengthening, although not necessarily.
Personally I wouldn't go for a bus with a sunroof like this.
I'd either buy this and have the hole filled, put a poptop back in it, or get a reputable firm to fit a proper sliding sunroof and add some belly pans for proper support.
But hey, it may be fine.
However it's something to have checked by a professional.
Cheers & God Bless

'62 Beetle
'62 Panel project
'67 Panel
68BUS
DSKer

Post by 68BUS »

I see no issue with it. Many a volkswagen distributer has been allowed to cut holes in the roof for pop tops. As mentioned above there should be another form of strengthening, either belly pans or another type of support.

There have also been a bunch of folk fit sunroofs to busses that once had poptops (see parisbeetles website).

Thing to look for may be are all the door closures. If the gaps are where they should be and all windows and doors open and close okay there cannot have been much movement in the bus.

I had a factory (dealer fitted anyway) poptop on my 68 with no belly pans. It passed engineering certificate in NSW and has shown no signs of moving.
Brad

1966 11 Window - Evie.

Volkswagen Kombi - The worlds Original Search Engine.