Gday. Hi, Hello to all

New to VWs or just new to Split Busses? Want to know more? This page is for people thinking about, or just getting into splits - ask your questions, get some free advice, members always happy to help out.

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

Highland
Newly Converted

Gday. Hi, Hello to all

Post by Highland »

Gday. Hi, Hello to all

I am a new member to this forum, so thought I would take the time to introduce myself.

My first memory of being in a Kombi, was a Bay camper travelling up through the Northern Territory across the Tenant Creek road and then back down the east coast to Melbourne with m parents when I was about 8 years old (that was about 30 years ago now). Back then the road up to cooper Pedy was not made and I remember the corrugations in the road shaking just about all the cupboards loose... Nothing that a few wood screws didn’t fix when we got to the destination. After that unfortunately the poor old girl passed on and since that I have been Kombi less.

That isnt exactly true, as I did have a Bay Dual cab resto project for a while, but as a newbie a couple of years ago jumped in without costing how much she was going to cost to repair, so after some scary quotes, as I am not a welder of fabricator, passed her along to a Kombi Club member who is hopefully in the midst of bringing her back to her former glory.

We are down in East Gippsland, and the username I picked isn't meant to represent the hills where we live, as we are down at the beach, but will have a bit of a view of the hills in the distance, but is to do with the reason why we moved down here, and that is to purchase some land and get back to basics, growing our own vegies, and cattle (Highland Rare Breeds), chickens etc so we can be as self sufficient as possible. That is at least the plan.

Building our shed and house will commence early in 2013, and the shed is big enough to house a couple of cars/projects, so I am now starting to get my families head around the idea of getting back into owning a couple of Kombis.

Ideally there would be a family of four in the garage. Firstly there of course would be the Dual Cab Bay window. In a way I regret parting with the one I had, and would love to own another. Secondly there would be a Bay camper for the holidays season to be able to get away from it all for a few days. I would also love to own a Panel Van either Splitty or Bay. Lastly, and I know I am dreaming now, but I would love to have a Splitty Dual Cab.

Initially after our house settles in Melbourne in the early new year, I am going to have a budget of about 20 - 30k to purchase one with. It will be needed as a second car so will need to be in reasonable condition to be used as a daily drive for a while.

Thats about it from me. It will be nice to meet you all, and hopefully if the Kombi gods are smiling will be an owner sooner than later

Matt
splitbus
DSKer

Re: Gday. Hi, Hello to all

Post by splitbus »

Welcome aboard Matt, and good luck on your hunt
Mike |o\*/o| 55 11 Window

I don't have a bucket list I have a fu#kit list a mile long
Dibsy
DSKer

Post by Dibsy »

Hi Matt, Welcome !

We bought the Acreage, then the big shed, then the Splitty .... now we are broke :lol:
Highland
Newly Converted

Post by Highland »

Thanks DSKer.... how did you find the move to acerage ??. we cant wait. I hear you about being broke... for the love of owning a Kombi.
Dibsy
DSKer

Post by Dibsy »

Acreage is ok if you like mowing, we love watching the Kangaroo's at the back and the bonus is we have a big backyard to drive offroad in, later in life when the kids move out we will retire to a unit with no garden :wink:
Highland
Newly Converted

Post by Highland »

We tried the townhouse in Melbourne with a tiny back yard... Thought it was going to be the ideal thing with more time for the kids, and to get out and about, but ended up not really enjoying it. But I guess after we have 20+ years hopefully where we are now we could be wanting a change :-)