Image resizing and uploading tutorial

New to VWs or just new to Split Busses? Want to know more? This page is for people thinking about, or just getting into splits - ask your questions, get some free advice, members always happy to help out.

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

crewcabconnection
Mod

Image resizing and uploading tutorial

Post by crewcabconnection »

So you wanna post images on DSK huh? - but you've only got Microsoft Paint? - heres a quick tutorial on what I suggest you do.

1. Images on the net are only 72dpi - and the page you're looking at is about 790 pixels on average - taking away scroll bars...on an 800x600 monitor.

2. Digital cameras use megapixels - so without getting geeky, they are a lot larger that you need on the net, so you're going to need to shrink them.

2.1 - If youre scanning flat images on a scanner - then set the scanner to 72 DPI and scan. Often the default is much higher 150, 300, 600, 1200 etc.,

3. DONT shrink them on the camera! - if you set your digital camera to its lower resolution, then if you later want to print them out, you may well get a poor result. The solution is to SHOOT BIG and then RESIZE.

4. Get some software. I recommend a great FREE application for Windoze called IrfranView. Its a swiss army knife of image manipulators. You WILL NEED TO TRY to use it, and it has tutorials. It will reduce the file size in resolution and in width and height.

---Huh? - Msure that whatever program you choose to resize images - you need to work in 72 DPI (dots per inch) - cause thats what your screen has!.

5. Go and get IrFranView. http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/3000-2192-10021962.html

6. Boot the application

7. Go to FILE>OPEN [choose yer pic] - Press Okay

8. Go to IMAGE>Resize/Resample - (Ctrl R)

9. Holy crap - a dialoge box with stuff in it!

-- You can now easily resize your pix - on the right - you can choose a set size but on the left you can actually specify an exact size - I recommend 550 pixels. For no other reason that they work okay on most forums.

-- So SET NEW SIZE - and enter 550 in the first box if its landscape or 550 in the second box if its portrait. - Notice that as you type the number, the application also works out the other edge size for you! - Make sure youve checked PIXELS as the UNIT of measurement - Now Press OK.

10. Thats it - Now go to SAVE AS - NOT SAVE! - NOT SAVE! - Use SAVE AS!

-- Enter the name of the file - by default you will get the original file name - DONT OVERWRITE IT!!! - I suggest you give it a new name - such as - DSC0012_small.jpg.

--- And make sure you save as a JPG - the default formal is BMP. JPG is the best web choice for photos.

Congratulations you just resized you file.

+++ You can BATCH convert with this application, but be carefull not to overwrite your originals by pointing the saved small files to another folder or directory +++ With a BATCH - you can covert about 255 at a time!

PART TWO

Dont fill DSKs server with images! - Go and get a FREE account with http://www.photobucket.com. Use thier bandwidth not ours!

You can then simply upload your image to a FREE online album. If you image is too big, it will resize it for you anyway - but its a waste of bandwidth and time to upload a 2 meg image if its gonna get cut down...RESIZE IT FIRST!

Inserting the image into DSK or any other forum is simple!

When you photo is uploaded to Photobucket. It gives you an address of the file to use.

All you do is cut and paste into you post! - Easy as. The bottom one is the one to use - there are 3 options - it is in the [img]blah[/img] format.

So when you enter your post, just type what you need to say and insert the code - NO NEED TO ADD AND ATTACHMENT in DSK.

Now you can use the same IMG and /IMG code in all forums.

The other benefit of course is that you get a FREE place to store your digital images. It will let you also store digital film snips too (.avi) files.

And its all FREE!

--------------------------
Any hassles just PM a MOD and they'll help ya! - ENJOY
Tonz Magonz
Mod

Post by Tonz Magonz »

Thanks CCC,That sure makes things a lot easier....ah..I think.. ps. Just one question...whats an image.?? pps Do you want the piss back,i just took????????? Tonz
Wanted..Barny bits or 60's Supercharger other than Judson
crewcabconnection
Mod

Post by crewcabconnection »

an image - information, when raw data is organised in such a way that it becomes information - pictoral information. Sorry I teach IT....I mean a photo, logo, text as a graphic, illustration or any other representation that is not produced as system text, hyperlink or audio. In this I am accepting that animation and video is an image, all be it a serial display of images.

You can keep yer piss, I never drink Fosters.
Cognitive Dissonance - The only way to grind.
Tonz Magonz
Mod

Post by Tonz Magonz »

Me either, give me a VB,Budweiser ,Corona or Hahn ice.....Tonz
Wanted..Barny bits or 60's Supercharger other than Judson
kombinationdetailing
DSKer
Location: Under something German and stinky... no, it's not your mother

Post by kombinationdetailing »

Yeah, sweet that makes sense... now I'll just put this white ceramic elephant down and have a ciggie, thanks for da tip!
Lots of VW's in a big Fuch off Shed
"...if only my VW's ran on Tabasco!..." :)
grover356
DSKer

Re: Image resizing and uploading tutorial

Post by grover356 »

Is this an okay size to upload or do I have to shrink it down?
warb
Mod

Post by warb »

looks the goods.
scooter
DSKer

Post by scooter »

Give Imgur.com a go its very straightforward and you can cut n paste the bb code straight into your post. Saves you from downloading or signing up for anything. You can also grab images from other web pages etc etc.

Otherwise what CCC said.
DUB187
DSKer

Post by DUB187 »

I've got a little trick that may help most people with iPhones!! (The mrs taught me this)

What you can do is screenshot your photo on your phone, then crop it ready for upload.. Works great and really simple to do.