Hi from the Central Coast

New to VWs or just new to Split Busses? Want to know more? This page is for people thinking about, or just getting into splits - ask your questions, get some free advice, members always happy to help out.

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

Rovert
DSKer

Hi from the Central Coast

Post by Rovert »

Hey Guys, I was sent here from another forum by one of your members.
This is a copy of the post i made there.
Hey Folks, my name is Trevor & as you can see i'm new here.
I am about to start modding a 61 bus for a customer.
I have never modified any VW's before, which is the reason i am here.
At the moment the owner only wishes to do suspension & driveline mods. with full paint & interior next year.
Basically what we have planned is,
Red9 front & rear suspension & Subaru motor with subarugears modified box
Obviously there are alot of other mods to go along with this type of conversion that we will tackle along the way also.
I've been researching this build for around a year now and have accumulated enough info to now make a start. The time is right for me also & more importantly the customer has set aside the money for the build.
I've built cars for this guy before, if he says he's good to go, he's good to go.
The bus we have is in very good nick, no rust, no accident damage & garaged its entire life. We also have a full history on the vehicle.
So, that pretty much sums up the project, now , if I may, a couple of questions to start.
Can anyone recommend an engineer that may of previously been involved in a similar project.
I am located on the NSW Central Coast, so Sydney or Newcastle is where i'd be looking.
You guys who have used the Red9 Front & Rear on a splitty before, what do you think of it, any problems etc.
Did your engineer ask for any changes to be made to any of the components, or was it pretty much good to go as is.
We are now on the look out for a donor vehicle also.
I figure it will probably be an early 2000's RX Imprezza or Liberty.
What vehicle would you guys recommend???????????
I will have many more questions to ask as this progresses so I hope you guys don't mind me popping in & bombarding you with them.
Anyhow, thanks for any help.
Cheers,
Trevor.
067DUB
DSKer

Re: Hi from the Central Coast

Post by 067DUB »

G'day Trevor , glad you're here mate. Looks like you're getting right into the build and using top components, quite a few people here have the Red9 products and have lots of miles on them.

Throw up some pics of your build, we love pics !

Cheers , Chris.
Rovert
DSKer

Post by Rovert »

Hi Chris thanks for the reply.
No pics worth showing at the moment, were just getting parts & info together before we rip into it,
Once we start i will regularly post up progress pics.
Good to hear some feedback on the Red9 product.
ozjeff
DSKer

Post by ozjeff »

A 61 rust free garaged split is plenty to put pics up :!:
Its a well known fact an OG SC will always be worth more than a DC with a checker plate tray, towel rails and PINK plates
067DUB
DSKer

Post by 067DUB »

Hell yes ^^^^^^^^^
Shaven
DSKer

Post by Shaven »

Where on the Central Coast are you Trevor?
Get some of those pics up. & welcome to DSK
Cheers Matty
Only those whom drive a Dual Cab, Know what real driving is all about
FrankenCab
DSKer

Post by FrankenCab »

think that was me who told you to visit ..avd arent that kombi smarts ..dont subi it ..I'll swap you a type 3 wagon with ej20t conversion for the bus :) hehe
Straight axle is better than IRS
Rovert
DSKer

Post by Rovert »

FrankenCab wrote:think that was me who told you to visit ..avd arent that kombi smarts ..dont subi it ..I'll swap you a type 3 wagon with ej20t conversion for the bus :) hehe
Thanks for that. Unfortunately its not my bus, I am merely the builder.
The conversion will be done tastefully, i'm sure you guys will like the end product.
Will an alloy radiator look better mounted on the bumper? :wink:
Shaven
DSKer

Post by Shaven »

L@@K for the Puke icon... :|
Only those whom drive a Dual Cab, Know what real driving is all about
kombinationskraftwagen
DSKer

Post by kombinationskraftwagen »

Here's a split that had a suby motor:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11547

And a lowlight with the radiator mounted underneath (the previous on was a single cab, so was able to mount the radiator in the treasure chest)

http://forums.kombiclub.com/showthread. ... w-Pics-6-9

The radiator mounted underneath looks a lot better IMHO. At least then it's harder to tell its got a different motor. I remember reading somewhere that the 2.2L motors (ej22) are often used as the width is the same as a 1600 so no cutting is required in the engine bay. They are getting a bit older these days though. The double overhead cam motors are wider and so require modification. Someone else will be able to confirm this though.

Pics are always good to see no matter what stage you're at... :D
FrankenCab
DSKer

Post by FrankenCab »

other option is ej25 with sohc heads turboed ..definately put rad underneath or where bulkhead for fueltank is move that towards the front of bus and make that the rad position with ducting pushing air out side vents , then mod rear seat base or use a dc rear seat as it sits on a seperate base .
have seen small hyundai rads used x2 which would clear shifter tube and handbrake bits and pieces ..has engineer been informed as he may have other requirements ?
Straight axle is better than IRS
Rovert
DSKer

Post by Rovert »

Thanks for the replys Guys.
Appologies, I was just taking the piss with the radiator mounted on the front comment.
I'd rather chop off my left nut than do something like that.
Not my style, I'm 50 years old & even when I was young I would never have done that.
Couple of interesting threads there & some great work.
Unfortunately Turbo's are out, the owner is quite conservative & will never use the power.
I built a really nice 66 Mustang Convertible for him recently, full rotisserie rebuild, best of everything, he drives it like Grandma.
I dont have an engineer chosen yet, was hoping to get a recommendation on someone who has done a few Kombi's.
I would have used Humphreys whom I new, but he has now retired.
Cheers Guys.
Perezoso
Newly Converted

Post by Perezoso »

Hey mate, i went looking for an engineer on the coast but have been told the only one is a guy called athol who is just north of Swansea. I've got his info somewhere but if you call safe travel solutions in Gosford he can give you his number. They told me he has help write the safety procedures the nsw rta go by. His was very informative when I called him about putting a seat in a panelvan. Saying that the police would like you to have windows but its not law.
Dan
GottaSplit
DSKer

Post by GottaSplit »

Hi Trevor, welcome to DSK. I am in the process too of finding an engineer so I can get my bus official to carry more than 2 people. During my search for engineers I found this guy out near my out-laws.... http://www.terrytoomey.com.au/ I havent used him, dont know who has but as he is close and I dont have to drive far I will give him a go. If anyone else knows of this guy... let us know, likewise if/when I use him, I will revert....
Cheers
Jamie
spl65t
DSKer

Post by spl65t »

GottaSplit wrote:Hi Trevor, welcome to DSK. I am in the process too of finding an engineer so I can get my bus official to carry more than 2 people. During my search for engineers I found this guy out near my out-laws.... http://www.terrytoomey.com.au/ I havent used him, dont know who has but as he is close and I dont have to drive far I will give him a go. If anyone else knows of this guy... let us know, likewise if/when I use him, I will revert....
Cheers
Jamie
Jamie, I have been to Terry Toomey. This guy ain't or wasn't VW friendly. He's more into the race & ricer scene. Bearing in mind he's very thorough. Will cost you just to talk to him and you need an appointment. Otherwise speak to the hand. If your after getting your bus approved for more seating worked out cheaper for me to just get an approved RTA belt fitting station. I used a mobile guy based at Winston Hills to come to my place. He gives you a ticket that you can take to the RTA or just keep a copy in your car.
Linz
Der Splitty.....slowest thing up the Blue Mtns, since Wentworth, Blaxland & Lawson :twisted: