G'day from Toolern Vale

New to VWs or just new to Split Busses? Want to know more? This page is for people thinking about, or just getting into splits - ask your questions, get some free advice, members always happy to help out.

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

adriansbus
DSKer

G'day from Toolern Vale

Post by adriansbus »

I've been looking at the forum for awhile and thought it was time to say hi. Just become a splitty owner and if you took note of the header and saw Toolern Vale here in Victoria, you may be thinking that it is the splitty that has been sitting just off from the Melton-Gisborne rd, sorry to disappoint, it ain't that one. I'm sure he'll be buried in that one.
I've been able to pick up a 59, 11 window with all the usual rust issues. Funnily enough I bought a vw powered compressor about 8 months before hand and the hour meter only shows 158 hours, after pulling the head off one of the stages of the compressor and still seeing the hone marks in the cylinder, I have no doubt the are genuine.( its a 8000psi diving compressor originally owned by the navy as a backup compressor) I did a search on the engine no and it comes up as a late febuary 1961 motor. I won it on ebay for $300. I had no idea what I was going to do with it. Must of been an omen, I now own a 59 splitty to put it in.
cars I own are a bit eclectic, from a model a hotrod under construction, a 54 chev, 70 mgb and a 73 type square back which was originally bought new by my wife grandad.
Only the other day my 10 yo asked if we can work on the kombi together, that made me feel so proud. I'll have to bring the resto forward now.
I'm sure I'll be asking questions, so bear with me.
Cheers, adrian.
63 left hooker
DSKer

Re: G'day from Toolern Vale

Post by 63 left hooker »

Adrian,

Welcome mate, plenty of people with plenty of knowledge to help you with your resto.

Good luck to you and the ten year old :D

Warwick
61 dc
67 beetle
IN2VWS
DSKer

Re: G'day from Toolern Vale

Post by IN2VWS »

Welcome Adrian.
Look forward to seeing some progress pics as you move ahead.

John
Love is like a fart,
If you have to force it, it's probably shit.