Newbie. Saying Gday. Want a SC soon...

New to VWs or just new to Split Busses? Want to know more? This page is for people thinking about, or just getting into splits - ask your questions, get some free advice, members always happy to help out.

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

cam205
DSKer

Newbie. Saying Gday. Want a SC soon...

Post by cam205 »

Hi there,

Been looking over the sight and you guys seem like a great buch. Feels really friendly.

Im wanting to buy a Split Screen Single Cab Ute for a business. I have been trying to get an idea of what i need to look for in terms of rust and engine problems. I have rebuilt a few Peugeot motors and and Alfa motor so am fairly mechanically minded. Im also trying to guage what price i should be paying for one.

I want something that needs a paint job.( as i have an idea in mind) Surface rust isnt a problem. Do they rust badly in the structure?? After something that has a fairly solid motor and gearbox, aswell as suspension. Looking to spend between 8000 and 10000. Am i aiming to Low??

Im going to be fitting a Coffee Machine, Juicer and BBq and set up at beaches and local soccer Footy etc events on weekends. I have most of the business side of things sorted (council permissions, licences etc).

I have LOADS of further questions about these cars but whatever you guys have to say will be very helpful.

Regards Cameron
Frogsta
DSKer

Post by Frogsta »

Where are you in Aus Cam?
Go to your profile tab at top of page and fill in location as it really helps people maybe in your area.
Truth be told there are a few singe cabs being bought and sold on here and vary in condition.
It can be a difficult model for rust issues but if you find one it can't hurt to ask us what we think of it .
Keep an eye on the for sales and place a wanted ad.
If you look you will find.
"-Hannovermetalmadness-"(Debilitating desease with no known cure).
frenzix
DSKer

Post by frenzix »

welcome cameron, hope you find what you are looking for, the price you mention can definately buy what your after.. it's just a matter of waiting and jumping in at the right time.. let as many people know as possible that your looking for one and keep watching.. even on ebay as they frequent there.. Rust wise, any of the bottom 6 or so inches are inclined to rust out first, just depending on how they are kept, motor wise don't be too worried as you can pickup or rebuild motors easily.. it's finding the dry split that is the challenge. Good luck!

Tim
cam205
DSKer

Post by cam205 »

Cheers for the Replys guys.

Well if any of you hear for one for sale please let me know. I will be keeping a close eye on Ebay and the for sale sections of this forum and a few other VW forums.

Ideally i would love one that has had the rust sorted as im on a tight budget and wouldnt really have the time for it either. Im prepared to sort most of the light stuff out and heavier stuff here and there but nothing to serious.

In regards to motors and the Volts situation, im a little behind the times. I would be changing it to 12v as i have read that its much more relaible. How hard is this to do.

Fitting a bigger motor?? I would like either a 1600 twin port or a 1800 donk. Is the conversion a nightmare or fairly straight foward?? Again, im not wanting to spend big $$ here. Is the 1200 and 1300 motors OK (power wise)

Cam