Hi

New to VWs or just new to Split Busses? Want to know more? This page is for people thinking about, or just getting into splits - ask your questions, get some free advice, members always happy to help out.

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

Baldjones
Newly Converted

Hi

Post by Baldjones »

First time at doing this so Hi. What a fantastic site! I have been reading and learning sooo much in a short time. Currently we are looking for a splitty as we have had a passion to get one back since driving one half way around Aus some time back.
Have been trying to work out if it's worth buying LHD and converting but can't see any real costings in here as yet. Will keep looking as I work out how to work the site trouble is I get carried away reading all the other good information.
Ian 68
DSKer

Re: Hi

Post by Ian 68 »

Welcome to DSK.
Proudly sponsored by Cunado wear.
067DUB
DSKer

Post by 067DUB »

Welcome bud , as for a LHD to convert, i hope you have some good coin saved. There are great RHD buys around all the time, if you want RHD buy one, the money saved will be worth it.
People are more looking for good dry ,rot free cars now, the side which has the steering wheel is becoming less and less of a factor. If you can stretch to 20k , you will get a solid Aussie RHD bus.
Baldjones
Newly Converted

Post by Baldjones »

Cheers for that, it just happens that every time i go funny in the groin it's a LHD but i just know I wouldn't like sitting on the other side whilst the bride drives, yer we've got some bucks stacked and in no rush. We've been looking for quite some time mainly on car sales, gumtree, kombiclub and I just lucked onto this site via bus n bugs (was it?) site in Melb who redo interiors.
Do you have any idea of a conversion cost? I've heard 5K for a Karmann Gia.
FrankenCab
DSKer

Post by FrankenCab »

Finding parts for conversion would be the issue , not often you see a bus get wrecked out theses days , think creative engineering has a conversion kit for rhd
Straight axle is better than IRS