Hello all. From Brisbane

New to VWs or just new to Split Busses? Want to know more? This page is for people thinking about, or just getting into splits - ask your questions, get some free advice, members always happy to help out.

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

Daisy Mae
DSKer

Hello all. From Brisbane

Post by Daisy Mae »

Hey!

Daisy and her hubby here from Narangba. Just bought an amazing '55 Split Kombi Ute, right hand drive.
Hoping to push it into our study time to make it a restore project.
At the moment just basically a rolling shell with a few bits and bobs. Have some fabulous ideas for it, but we are just starting with a full body resto.

Plenty of experience between the two of us with past builds but this is the first time with a VW. Joined the forum to have a squizzy beak at other like-minded people's VW's, reallly excited! Hopefully we can gather some info off yous to help our build/resto a lot more easy, any tips and tricks welcome!

I have some questions as to where the VIN number plate is located in these, haven't come across it yet. We did find a number behind the drivers seat though.

Will definitely be posting more pics as we get further along.

Keen on meeting up with new faces to converse and see other Kombi's.

Cheers, Daisy.
68BUS
DSKer

Re: Hello all. From Brisbane

Post by 68BUS »

Welcome.looks nice.
No vin number on them. It chassis number is stamped into bodywork.
Normally to the left of the engine.
There is sometimes also a second letter and number stamped for Aussie built dubs.
Brad

1966 11 Window - Evie.

Volkswagen Kombi - The worlds Original Search Engine.
tar76
DSKer

Post by tar76 »

Welcome mate, i'm just down the road from you Bribie rd Ningi. Always up for a split chat
62 Single Cab.
Triumph thunderbird bobber
62 XL falcon.
And for F#%k sake no peace signs!!
Daisy Mae
DSKer

Post by Daisy Mae »

68Bus, found a plate which is stamped Made in West Germany and saying something about the kilos of the car. Couldn't read the rest. But thanks for your help =)

Might go for a drive to Bribe one weekend and meet up at the beach for a relaxing day or something of the sorts, aye Tar?
Ian 68
DSKer

Post by Ian 68 »

Another 55 Yoot eh ? Nice one !

Have a look in the engine bay to the right hand side you should find the number ( mines also a 55 Yoot ) above the tinware that goes over the gearbox...number should start 20 +++++++

Chuck the number up and it's easy to give a month and year then.

I'm up in Caloundra, if your up this way give us a shout and we can compare Yoots ha ha

Best

Ian
Proudly sponsored by Cunado wear.
Daisy Mae
DSKer

Post by Daisy Mae »

Ahh fount it! Thank you. I saw the plate there but the number was a bit harder to find :p

Number is : 20 - 119066
Ian 68
DSKer

Post by Ian 68 »

Thats March 1955, very very early non Barndoor Yoot. Wolfsburg Bus, very very nice.

Mines May 55.

I see lots of lovely dove blue through the paint, are you ( hopefully ) planning on keeping / patching in where req'd the OG paint ?

What parts are you missing / looking for ?

Any plans for it worked out ? Keeping it stock ? IRS / Swing axle rear end ?
Daisy Mae
DSKer

Post by Daisy Mae »

At the moment just looking around for basically everything, checking the prices. So looking for prices on Motor and manual gearbox, Seats, Headlights etc.

I have some good plans for it but it all depends on how much money and time we have, (which hopefully is a lot). I love original Kombis so after body work is done will be going back to everything original as much as we can. Interier and paint job to be as it was. Which yeah was Dove blue.

If youre ever down this way (seen as it isn't running) gimmie a bell and you can drop in and check it out.
Still in the very early stages but planning everything while we do the bodywork to be prepared.
splitbus
DSKer

Post by splitbus »

Welcome aboard, nice early ute 8) 8)
Mike |o\*/o| 55 11 Window

I don't have a bucket list I have a fu#kit list a mile long
067DUB
DSKer

Post by 067DUB »

looks great, glad to see another local :)
Daisy Mae
DSKer

Post by Daisy Mae »

Thanks Splitbus and Dub =D

Going to take this one real slow and not to rush seen as splittys are my favorite. (rushing his cars doesn't matter :P) so it might have some rust for sometime yet. But I promise she'll look amazing when we're done!
Ian 68
DSKer

Post by Ian 68 »

Daisy Mae wrote:At the moment just looking around for basically everything, checking the prices. So looking for prices on Motor and manual gearbox, Seats, Headlights etc.

I have some good plans for it but it all depends on how much money and time we have, (which hopefully is a lot). I love original Kombis so after body work is done will be going back to everything original as much as we can. Interier and paint job to be as it was. Which yeah was Dove blue.

If youre ever down this way (seen as it isn't running) gimmie a bell and you can drop in and check it out.
Still in the very early stages but planning everything while we do the bodywork to be prepared.
There will be a few that read this thread and a collective huge sigh will be heard knowing that your going to try and preserve the OG paint where possible. ( Of course it's your Yoot and you can do what ever you like ) Hopefully the yellow paint job is not lathered on and a few cans of oven cleaner, some good face masks, gloves, safety glasses and a gurney will see it all dissolve with not effort at all.

If you are looking for OG parts you may be in for a bit of a shock...it's not cheap. The good news is that there are plenty of good and bad repro parts available.

Replacement panels are not really an issue and again you have a choice of suppliers.

Do you have factory safari windows with the Yoot ? Bumpers ? Are you going to keep it ratty looking ?

Sorry for all the questions ...not every day another 55 turns up and close by as well
Daisy Mae
DSKer

Post by Daisy Mae »

Questions are fine, haha.

About the ratty look, I love the ratty look but my partner likes the nice and slick look. So that I do not know... until I can convince him.
Factory safari but we don't have the windows, unfortunately. All glass was there but the front.
No bumpers or anything else. All we could get was the rolling shell.

About the paint, it might be a bit hard if going for the ratty look to match in where we are fixing all the rust. So we might have to have some thoughts about keeping it OG or having to recoat it in a Dove blue. Either way I'm really for going for the blue if it can be saved and look good I want to keep it as that as much as I can.
Ian 68
DSKer

Post by Ian 68 »

Daisy Mae wrote:Questions are fine, haha.

About the ratty look, I love the ratty look but my partner likes the nice and slick look. So that I do not know... until I can convince him.
Factory safari but we don't have the windows, unfortunately. All glass was there but the front.
No bumpers or anything else. All we could get was the rolling shell.

About the paint, it might be a bit hard if going for the ratty look to match in where we are fixing all the rust. So we might have to have some thoughts about keeping it OG or having to recoat it in a Dove blue. Either way I'm really for going for the blue if it can be saved and look good I want to keep it as that as much as I can.
All good.

Rear pressed Yoot bumpers are
very very hard to come by and command big $$, fronts not so bad but still not cheap.. Front safari's are another hard to find part but like everything else that you need, it's out there, just got to find it and have the $$ to pay. You'll find a lot of help on this forum and probably offers of parts as well..
Leroy
DSKer

Post by Leroy »

Welcome to DSK! Great to see another early 55 for SEQ 8)
2018 Year of the Barndoor