G'Day from Mittagong

New to VWs or just new to Split Busses? Want to know more? This page is for people thinking about, or just getting into splits - ask your questions, get some free advice, members always happy to help out.

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

1962 Split
DSKer

G'Day from Mittagong

Post by 1962 Split »

In early January this year I came across two splits camping at Kangaroo Valley, Matt and Ryan (Dutchy and Warb??) and families and they suggested I join up and talk about the resto that I am now into my 4th year. Its a 1962 11 window Australian delivery bus that needed to be saved from the elements. It was way beyond a simple restoration, with some holes big enough to crawl through, but exactly what I was looking for, a bus that I could turn into a period tow vehicle for an old race car. She required the bottom 2 feet replaced all round including the floors which allowed some strengthening of sills, beams and boxed sections to hang a modified hayman reese tow hitch off. Still along way to go including internal trim and fitout, wiring, suspension, modified exhaust and putting a lot more stuff back on. The engine is a slightly modified uprighted Type 4 (2.25 litre) hooked up to an IRS beetle box running a 4.1 diff. I'll put up some photos in the projects section but a few below of where I am up to.
Attachments
Jean and Roxy 2.jpg
Jean and Roxy 1.jpg
botcolon
DSKer

Re: G'Day from Mittagong

Post by botcolon »

8) welcome mate! would love to see/hear more.
63 left hooker
DSKer

Post by 63 left hooker »

Welcome, looks like a great shed you've got there :D
61 dc
67 beetle
spl65t
DSKer

Post by spl65t »

Warb & Dutchy = Peas n Gravy :)
Welcome too
Linz
Der Splitty.....slowest thing up the Blue Mtns, since Wentworth, Blaxland & Lawson :twisted:
Cam Biscuit
DSKer

Post by Cam Biscuit »

Welcome and nice stash!

There is another Group N racer in Adelaide with a splitty project although I think his is getting a 911 motor ;) Don't think he will be towing with it though.

Funnily enough I sent this photo to a mate yesterday suggesting he build one to tow his Group S 911.......
Attachments
steve_wright_ian_clark_porsche356a.jpg
1962 Split
DSKer

Post by 1962 Split »

Thanks guys, the pic from Cam of the split towing a 911 would have to be my dream rig. My mini only weighs 620kg and with a light trailer the total towing weight would come in at less than a ton fully loaded. Still a bit of an ask for a standard bus so I have made a few mods to make it a bit easier. I'll start putting up some info and pics in the projects section shortly.