Sunshine Coast - 1960 11 Window Split

New to VWs or just new to Split Busses? Want to know more? This page is for people thinking about, or just getting into splits - ask your questions, get some free advice, members always happy to help out.

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

NevsOval
DSKer

Sunshine Coast - 1960 11 Window Split

Post by NevsOval »

Hi Ladies & Gents,

Thank you for the opportunity to be part of DSK.

I'm Nev & you may recognise my username from such forums as Melburg Luft & NoH20.

I have a 1960 11 Window Split that is a very slow project & a restored 1963 Beetle which is my daily car when I am home on the Sunshine Coast.

I have been slowly gathering parts as I see them and currently have a Bay front end with adjusters, a twin port 1600, L Bug box with a Kruisenwagen IRS kit in the garage, oh and some MWS Fuchs.

I bought it in Wangaratta in 2011 from a local garage who knew the history of the Kombi from new.

It had been a shearer's car which he bought new and in 1972 the motor blew up.
So rather than get it fixed he put the drawbar which is connected to the steering box on the front & just towed it behind an old HG Prem.

The owner of the local garage, who's father had also worked on the car, got the opportunity to buy it after the old fella died.

We drove past the garage, looking for a toilet stop for the kids & a beautiful red & white 11 window was out the front. My wife said "Go in and ask if it's for sale" I said we could not afford it & she says "You never know, he might have one out the back?"

Long story, short, the other one was just being repaired, but he had this one. So my wife refinanced the house for me to buy my Kombi.

The poor old Kombi has been dragged from Melbourne to Perth, then Geraldton & now it resides on the Sunshine Coast, due to work & family commitments. We currently rent so I don't fancy the prospect of stripping the ol girl down yet, till we buy another place. So she is at a bit of a standstill :cry:
image.jpg
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
tar76
DSKer

Re: Sunshine Coast - 1960 11 Window Split

Post by tar76 »

Welcome look forward to seeing it on the road oneday down the track
62 Single Cab.
Triumph thunderbird bobber
62 XL falcon.
And for F#%k sake no peace signs!!
Ian 68
DSKer

Post by Ian 68 »

welcome to DSK, great to have another Dove blue bus up here on the Sunny Coast.

There's a good few of us up here around these parts, a few of us in Caloundra.

I'm in Mountain creek a bit with work and stuff, was up there last Saturday and will be again this saturday.

Catch up soon no doubt at a local gathering, next one is dubs at the abbey which I think is the 18th May ? Usually all hook up at the Etta pub and cruise.

best

Ian
Proudly sponsored by Cunado wear.
NevsOval
DSKer

Post by NevsOval »

Thanks guys,

Unfortunately, I work in WA, Ian and I won't be back in time. But I'll keep an eye on the events page & try an get along to one in the future.

It frustrating, don't have the money to pay to have it to be restored or the time/place to do it myself. So it's a bit of a Catch 22. I got on to DSK for info, interest & to meet like minded Kombi owners, so when I'm ready to go, I should have all the knowledge I need know where to start :D
Ian 68
DSKer

Post by Ian 68 »

No problem. Throw a post up when you are back next and try and get a few of us together for a chat.

Ian
Proudly sponsored by Cunado wear.
NevsOval
DSKer

Post by NevsOval »

Thanks Ian,
I'll be back around the end of May :D
h
DSKer

Post by h »