Proud new owners of a 1960 11 Window Splitty

New to VWs or just new to Split Busses? Want to know more? This page is for people thinking about, or just getting into splits - ask your questions, get some free advice, members always happy to help out.

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

VRSenator065
DSKer

Proud new owners of a 1960 11 Window Splitty

Post by VRSenator065 »

Hi All, my wife and I have just become the proud new owners of what we believe is a June 1960 11 window split. I have been half looking for another project for a year or so after just finishing a more muscle car kind of build that has taken a little over two years. A panel beater mate of mine found this out the side of one of another workshop and the deal was done for $500 which I was really happy with.

What is there is actually pretty sound, unfortunately it was used as a donor car and the front floors and front have been hacked around. Its also missing the front doors, side cargo doors and rear engine hatch (I assume those names are correct?) So I am thinking new nose, and try and find some doors etc in good nick, any help there appreciated.

My plan is to restore it externally sympathetically, with two tone paint, but uprate it all mechanically to bring it up to more modern standards of drive-ability and use it for us to both do some touring in. I am thinking most likely a scat motor or similar, IRS conversion, air bag suspension, disc brakes etc. With my last car I did everything except body/paint, this one I want to attempt to do it all myself. I am not after concours, but something that holds its own, looks cool and is fun to tour in.

We picked it up on the week end, at this stage I have just put it in a 40' container I have, I wont be starting the build in earnest for a year or so, I just couldn't pass it up for the price. here are some pics

63 left hooker
DSKer

Re: Proud new owners of a 1960 11 Window Splitty

Post by 63 left hooker »

Great score for $500! Plan sounds great, good luck with it.
61 dc
67 beetle
68BUS
DSKer

Post by 68BUS »

They finally let you on hey.
Welcome to sunny DSK. Split knowledge base of Australia.
Brad

1966 11 Window - Evie.

Volkswagen Kombi - The worlds Original Search Engine.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Thanks, yes really looking forward to being amongst of knowledgeable people :) I have a lot to learn about Kombi's, never had anything to do with them before, a good friend is a bit of a VW tragic though. I guess I should start a build thread, is there a particular section I should start that in?
Last edited by VRSenator065 on Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
68BUS
DSKer

Post by 68BUS »

Brad

1966 11 Window - Evie.

Volkswagen Kombi - The worlds Original Search Engine.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Build thread started :)
067DUB
DSKer

Post by 067DUB »

Welcome bud, I had a good look through your previous build, very impressive stuff ! I bet the young lads get a fright when they line up with you :shock: .

This build will be different for you I'm sure, you have a rusty bus but for $500 who cares right ? . Be sure to use the search function , It's saved me heaps of times .

Godspeed :)
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Thanks a lot, actually strangely enough looking forward to learning something new. Just spent an hour on the bus stop website looking through the panels etc I will need. And yea really for $500 I just feel like I am so far in front of the curve already. I am under no illusions how much work will be involved, but I just plan on starting at one corner, finishing it, then moving along if that makes sense. That's how I did the Senator just broke it down into small discreet jobs and knocked them off one at a time. Looks like the front will be the biggest pain, although it looks like complete sections may be available. And of course I have no idea really what condition the underside is truly in. I have set a rough estimate of $20k in parts and 2 years from when I start it to do it all, that's with me doing all the work, time will tell if that's way out or not. But if it goes over I am not too stressed. I am not going to start it properly until I can finish it. Suesy and I are going to head to Lorne in October, I believe there's a big Kombi/VW show on, will be good to walk around and get some inspiration.
067DUB
DSKer

Post by 067DUB »

Be sure to ask around about KF (KlassicFab) metal . Personally I've found it to be THE BEST you can get, it fits very well. Check the DasResto parts website. Do a search within this forum for resto work ,there has been some amazing stuff produced in little back sheds and garage's . Looking forward to your work.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

067DUB wrote:Be sure to ask around about KF (KlassicFab) metal . Personally I've found it to be THE BEST you can get, it fits very well. Check the DasResto parts website. Do a search within this forum for resto work ,there has been some amazing stuff produced in little back sheds and garage's . Looking forward to your work.
Thanks for that, that is exactly why I love forums, much appreciated :)