Brand New to this place

New to VWs or just new to Split Busses? Want to know more? This page is for people thinking about, or just getting into splits - ask your questions, get some free advice, members always happy to help out.

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

FATBOYslim68
Newly Converted

Brand New to this place

Post by FATBOYslim68 »

Hi to all. Brand New to this place, keen to acquire all the knowledge i can to prepare me for the joys of splitty owner. Still got a wayz to go i imagine any advice welcome. looking to own a camper so i can finally see OZ in a vehicle that will be growing in value over the next twenty years and become one of the family, love and treasured.A resent visit to my local panel shop left me disillusioned though, they said stay away from Kombi they are a rust magnets, hope someone out there can comment, i was quite disappointed to here that. Also I have just recently failed my sleep test compulsory for NSW drivers of commercial class licenses or any one with OSA and this may end my driving any vehicle anywhere anytime. So stressed by this rule as i had planed to live in my new ride for the foreseeable future, so if i don't post for a while its because i depressed by this disappointment.

Should i get to keep my license, i want to begin searching for a provider who can advise on the complete BUILD from buying the base vehicle to project finished camper Bus. As i will make this my permanent home for a good while it needs to be warm and comfortable
and on budget of apx 50k. After speaking with spectrum smash repairs they said the rust repair could be more that 100k. !!! What hope is there. anyway nice to chat, latter guys.

FBS
Last edited by FATBOYslim68 on Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frogsta
DSKer

Re: Brand New to this place

Post by Frogsta »

Find another panel shop that care....
Where are you located?... As there may be places which are kombi experienced and can be recommended by people on here.
"-Hannovermetalmadness-"(Debilitating desease with no known cure).
DRHEMS3
DSKer

Post by DRHEMS3 »

Welcome FBS
What a great way to see OZ..
I work in a panel shop and I've seen 10 year old cars with more rust
then some kombis. Every vehicle will rust.

Repair & maintain....
FATBOYslim68
Newly Converted

Post by FATBOYslim68 »

I recently saw a 6 wheel kombi on the net images Google. Wow more room for living awesome. what would this involve. structurally speaking. Given a rebuild of the base vehicle would be fairly extensive anyway.

FBS
FrankenCab
DSKer

Post by FrankenCab »

50k won't get you far if you can't build it yourself
10k for decent complete split
7k for motor capable of pushing a heavy camper
3k for reco box and IRS conv ( maybe more)
3-4 k for front end if you want something comfortable more if you go red 9
10-15k interior
25-40k in rust and prep poss paint
1500rims n tyres
10k for safari , headlights , tail , glass , rubbers , and missing small parts .
Welcome to split kombis :)
Straight axle is better than IRS
resol
DSKer

Post by resol »

Welcome to DSK M8
Yep find a new panel shop
You can do alot yourself to save some cash.
Get the right place to fix the rust then some elbow grease... enjoy!

might sell instead of swap?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21576
71 Lowie Dlx "Chubby"
CRUISE TIL YA BUTTS BRUISE :)