how do you buy yours?

New to VWs or just new to Split Busses? Want to know more? This page is for people thinking about, or just getting into splits - ask your questions, get some free advice, members always happy to help out.

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

Jim Sulley
DSKer

how do you buy yours?

Post by Jim Sulley »

Hi Guys, just wanted to ask your opinions.
I am looking on gumtree and ebay for a splitty i see two on ebay at the moment. In the past i have not really commited to buy, but now i feel it is time. I ask you how you all go about viewing buying and getting you cars back home. I live in Adelaide and traveling the country just to view kombis is expensive how do you guys do it do or would you consider buying from the pictures on ebay.
Jim
tar76
DSKer

Re: how do you buy yours?

Post by tar76 »

Big punt to buy from pictures! Many have been there and burnt.

If buying form ebay or gumtree, get it checked out!
62 Single Cab.
Triumph thunderbird bobber
62 XL falcon.
And for F#%k sake no peace signs!!
splitbus
DSKer

Post by splitbus »

Bought mine through pictures, was lucky, I paid my brother to go pick it up for me

this one looks the goods to me

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/251610997032?nav=SEARCH

Depends on budget, this one is getting up there $

Some guys on here know of car transporters that could bring it home for you
Mike |o\*/o| 55 11 Window

I don't have a bucket list I have a fu#kit list a mile long
spijlbus
DSKer

Post by spijlbus »

Have a look yourself or someone else to check it out.
Pictures can be deceitful.
Good luck hunting!!!!!
067DUB
DSKer

Post by 067DUB »

NEVER buy just from pictures. The old rule still stands, "If you can't touch it, don't buy it" .
Jim Sulley
DSKer

Post by Jim Sulley »

Thankyou for your comments, I know in the back of my mined not to buy from pictures. All split for sale always so far away and i would reduce my budget flying every where to look at them.

Thaks again
Jim Sulley
DSKer

Post by Jim Sulley »

splitbus wrote:Bought mine through pictures, was lucky, I paid my brother to go pick it up for me

this one looks the goods to me

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/251610997032?nav=SEARCH

Depends on budget, this one is getting up there $

Some guys on here know of car transporters that could bring it home for you
This is the one i have seen and like, bit too late to fly out to look.
Cam Biscuit
DSKer

Post by Cam Biscuit »

Its a lot cheaper to go and have a look than to fix up a horror bog monster…...
pmgbus
DSKer

Post by pmgbus »

i bought a split off pics recently and i was very happy with purchase. i have also been burnt ! i sugest you get someone who knows splits and their nasties to look on your behalf. since you are in adelaide drop by for a chat. have a look at a couple of projects on the go.
cheers andrew
Jim Sulley
DSKer

Post by Jim Sulley »

pmgbus wrote:i bought a split off pics recently and i was very happy with purchase. i have also been burnt ! i sugest you get someone who knows splits and their nasties to look on your behalf. since you are in adelaide drop by for a chat. have a look at a couple of projects on the go.
cheers andrew

Cheers Andrew, i will call up around and have a look at the projects you have got.
tatvw
DSKer

Post by tatvw »

I just bought of the eBay pictures, discription said rust in the usual places, but I didn't realise rust could rust! Check them out if you can, but the end of the day a cheap split needs work so spend up if you can't use a grinder and welder
63 samba
63 Panel
hammernnail
DSKer

Post by hammernnail »

purchased a karmann cabriolet off evilbay a while - from a dsk'r to boot - without inspecting in advance... i didnt think bog could be applied so liberally!
Attachments
Karmann Cab.jpg
1964 panel - money pit
1968 country buggy - KO778
1960 karmann ghia cabriolet - show n go
1964 squareback - rustoration
FrankenCab
DSKer

Post by FrankenCab »

Bought plenty from pics just have to ask the right questions and get pics of worst spots
Straight axle is better than IRS
KombiMadness
DSKer

Post by KombiMadness »

I've bought 2 from pics in the USA and both are gems. But you need to see hundreds of pics, of all the areas that usually rust, from different angles.
Also, talking on the phone to the owner for as long as it takes, asking the right questions and getting a sense of the person you are talking to - scammers, shonky dicks and liars usually show their true colours even on the phone; they get impatient, don't want to answer your questions or dance around them, etc.
A good bloke and proud VW owner is happy to talk about the car and tell you everything. This combined with asking the right questions and looking at 100's of photos, minimizes the risk.
In my case, I also checked the seller's feedback on The Samba and emailed the VW body shop owner where some recent work on the Kombi had been done, for further sussing out.

If I was buying a Kombi within say, 500 Ks then I would drive and look. Any further and I would probably do the above but also ask a fellow DSKer to please check it out......
My Dad's Kombi circa 1967 at Taronga Zoo. I'm the light weight with the skinny legs, my older brother is doing the roof jump!
68BUS
DSKer

Post by 68BUS »

I bought mine from a DSK'er. He was in Newcastle. Spoke on the phone and looked at pictures. He sounded good and photos looked good. I still bought a plane ticket down (one way admittedly) to check it out in person. Bus was totally as described and I am still really happy with her. But always worth the plane ticket.
Brad

1966 11 Window - Evie.

Volkswagen Kombi - The worlds Original Search Engine.