G'day

New to VWs or just new to Split Busses? Want to know more? This page is for people thinking about, or just getting into splits - ask your questions, get some free advice, members always happy to help out.

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

R100
DSKer

G'day

Post by R100 »

Hi all,

I'm new to Kombi's and VW in general. I bought a 73 bay camper a few months ago and fell in love with the bus. A few weeks later a 67 bus came up for sale for a very reasonable price and I couldn't resist, so much character. It's pretty complete (also came with a spare gearbox, towbar & front beam), just missing points and rotor button, pass seat & steering wheel. After many trips to Repco I finally worked out the points and rotor needed for the dizzy, fitted new plugs as well, and after about a minute or so of cranking, (and fixing the carb float valve as it was flooding badly when cranking) it fired up and ran, woohoo. Previous owner said it hadn't been started in the 12 years he's owned it, nor did his mate (previous owner to him) ever have it going.
Currently living near Hobart, but should be moving to the Narre Warren area in a few weeks.
My other favourite cars are early rotaries, and I own a 69 R100 as well. Hope to meet people with same interests through DSK. Background is auto electrical, (medium level) mechanical, and some electronic experience.
GFresh
DSKer

Re: G'day

Post by GFresh »

Hey mate,

Sounds like you have your hands full of cool projects

Lots of good info on this forum and a cool bunch too

Welcome to DSK

Cheers, George
KombiMadness
DSKer

Post by KombiMadness »

Welcome R100,

Sounds like a good entry with a Bay Window and a Splitty. Great that you got the motor running again after all those years.... 8)

But we love photos. If we don't see pics it didn't happen :lol:
My Dad's Kombi circa 1967 at Taronga Zoo. I'm the light weight with the skinny legs, my older brother is doing the roof jump!
evsky
DSKer

Post by evsky »

G day mate welcome.
Im a fellow rotor head i just sold my capella coupe a few months back to free up some coin to finish my split but no dout ill be looking to get another b4 long. Pics of all your toys please :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ted2
DSKer

Post by Ted2 »

Welcome R100. Good to see you followed my lead ;p
If you want to ingratiate yourself to fellow dsk members start a build thread in members rides and throw up a few pics.
Cheers John (Ted)
GottaSplit
DSKer

Post by GottaSplit »

Welcome to the mad house...
Like all the others here show us some pics!!!!(including the rotor)
Cheers Jamie
R100
DSKer

Post by R100 »

hi guys,

thanks for the warm welcome, I'll take some pics in the next day or so, maybe a video as well of engine running. we're all packed up and getting ready to shift back to the mainland, so toys are under tarp and/or on trailer, but I'll get some pics and post soon. will have to sell the bay camper as getting it across the water is going to make me broke lol, Spirit of Tasmania charged me just over $700 to get a car trailer across last time (that's not including the car that was doing the towing, just the trailer) but i've had the R100 for over 16 yrs and am very attached to the splitty now, so those 2 will definitely come with us.
R100
DSKer

Post by R100 »

here's a few pics, i've had to leave the covers on as it's super windy today and they'd prob end up in the neighbours yard
Attachments
IMG_3762.JPG
IMG_3761.JPG
IMG_3760.JPG
IMG_3759.JPG
IMG_3757.JPG
tar76
DSKer

Post by tar76 »

Hey mate and welcome....use to have a RX3 and a 1 owner mint RX4 coupe back in the 90's
62 Single Cab.
Triumph thunderbird bobber
62 XL falcon.
And for F#%k sake no peace signs!!
R100
DSKer

Post by R100 »

RX3 & RX4 are on the list somewhere lol, one day......hopefully!
R100
DSKer

Post by R100 »

Here's a youtube clip I made of the engine starting and running, tried to embed it but doesn't seem to work

http://youtu.be/Dv3N2g7Ugb8