Hi DSK'ers from Tom in Adelaide Hills

New to VWs or just new to Split Busses? Want to know more? This page is for people thinking about, or just getting into splits - ask your questions, get some free advice, members always happy to help out.

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

TomRat57
DSKer

Hi DSK'ers from Tom in Adelaide Hills

Post by TomRat57 »

I have just joined up today and look forward to contributing to the forum where I can. Im relatively new to the splitty scene, but have had a love of the aircooled vw's from way back. Had a couple of beetles in my teenage years, including an oval window 54, which I stripped down to a bare metal shell and rebuilt......with a few mods included. Well the 54 got sold many years ago, with a few regrets since. In recent years I've been keen to get into a splitty "project" and managed to get hold of a 57 single cab ute for $3k, from down south around Strathalbyn. I was very happy with the price I paid for it, considering it was a reasonably complete "roller". However it does need the usual rust repairs , including both load bed and treasure chest floor, so I will be on a steep leaning curve when it comes to body panel repairs/ replacement and rust repairs. My plan is to get it on the road as a Rat. I've been patiently picking up the missing parts on sites like gumtree and ebay.
One of my next challenges will be to build a rotisserie. I know there are a number of design variations around, like offsetting the rings from the mounting points etc. I'd appreciate if you have got any advice and info on what features you have found to work for you.
I'll try and load some pics of my 57 tomorrow.
Good night all,
Tom
4tune8
DSKer

Re: Hi DSK'ers from Tom in Adelaide Hills

Post by 4tune8 »

Welcome Tom
Post some pics, we love em!
Enjoy the ride
TomRat57
DSKer

Post by TomRat57 »

thanks for the welcome G'day 4 tune8.
OK, heres my first attempt to attach pic for all you DSK'ers who love pics!!! My (yet to start) 57 SC project..... yes I know it has some real rust challenges, but the "financial controller" had my on a fairly tight budget at the time of purchase.
If this pic loads OK I'll put some more up tonight
Attachments
IMG_1266.JPG
Cam Biscuit
DSKer

Post by Cam Biscuit »

Welcome Tom

Keep an eye out for my sister in the red & white micro with the rack on top. She's in Woodside.

There's also a pretty original early dove blue 11 window I've seen in Balhannah a couple of times.

Cheers
pmgbus
DSKer

Post by pmgbus »

hi tom, Andrew from Hahndorf here, I remember your yoot from when it was at middleton, then sold to Goolwa? a guy at a landscape company? catch up soon.cheers
TomRat57
DSKer

Re: Hi DSK'ers from Tom in Adelaide Hills...PICS added!!!

Post by TomRat57 »

Hi Cam Arnott - thanks for the welcome and I'll keep an eye out for your sisters micro and the dove blue 11 window. I haven't spotted either of them at this stage but I have a mate who lives near Woodside, so I do travel that way quite regularly. We live near Springton (just north of Mount Pleasant) on a few acres. I haven't seen too many splittys up this way. But there is a split window van stored under a tarp in town...I don't know what the model is or the owner, but according to some local it needs a full resto. There is also a very clean looking (and unmolested) dove blue single cab bay window (daily driver) getting around Springton.....which I've often admired.

G'day Andrew - it was great talking to you recently and Id love to come over to your workshop and have a look at your projects and a chat. However, be warned, I will probably also be picking your brains about restoring splittys! You have an excellent memory.....this ute was from a guy at Goolwa. He ran the irrigation business there. He didn't tell me too much about the utes history, other than it was being used as a chicken koop at some stage....which explains why the treasure chest floor is virtually non-existent. He also told me that he was planning convert it into a double bed.....can you believe that! I felt quite after I bought it, as I realised I had actually saved this Yoot from a grim fate! I'd love to know more about it's life at Middleton....if your around this weekend at any stage let me know and I'll drop by. Did you know it was also a PMG ute?

Here are some more Pics as promised....warts and all!
Cheers Tom
Attachments
IMG_1288.JPG
IMG_1296.JPG
IMG_1275.JPG
IMG_1276.JPG
IMG_1301.JPG
IMG_1300.JPG
IMG_1284.JPG
IMG_1281.JPG
IMG_1274.JPG
IMG_1271.JPG
morts
DSKer

Post by morts »

G'day Tom from over the range. Early singles are the bees knees, just keep plugging away and it will come together.
No matter what happens they can't take you out in the street and shoot you......
TomRat57
DSKer

Post by TomRat57 »

Hey morts, cheers for the support down south. I look forward to the day I get this baby cruzin around the hills
Applez
DSKer

Post by Applez »

That is a project all right. Good luck with it and welcome to DSK.
botcolon
DSKer

Post by botcolon »

nice one Tom. Whats the plan besides rust? Going to try and get the dove blue from underneath there?
TomRat57
DSKer

Post by TomRat57 »

Actually, I quite like the British racing green ( or whatever green it is?) and am planning to keep it that colour. Will blend in the repairs and give it a wax.
Shaven
DSKer

Post by Shaven »

Hi Tom... mate welcome to DSK. You will fit in well with a SC. Nice ride :wink:
Only those whom drive a Dual Cab, Know what real driving is all about
djfitch
Newly Converted

Post by djfitch »

hey mate dj here new to dsk keen to get a few kombi contacts
Wombatventures
Newly Converted

Post by Wombatventures »

Hi Tom,
Looks like a cool project.
Check out this thread on the Samba. It will help heaps.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... sc&start=0
If You want a copy of the vids that Glideking has in the thread I can run a copy off for you as well.
I'm up at Peterborough. Hope to be down for Volksfest on the 29th of Nov.
Look out for our little green Notch if your there.
Terry
NOTCHed, BUGgered and BUSted! Hope one day to SPLIT!
Currently suffering from Delusions of Sanity!
TomRat57
DSKer

Post by TomRat57 »

G'day Terry,
Firstly - welcome aboard! Hope to see you at Volksfest....and will look out for your green Notch.
Thanks for the info on Glidekings SC resto.
I had already watched many of his on-line vids some time ago, and saved the links. They will certainly help me tackle the challenges I face, when I finally get some time to start my project.
Have a good trip down from Peterborough, it should be a nice day for a sunday drive.
Cheers,
Tom