Introductions but no bus from adelaide

New to VWs or just new to Split Busses? Want to know more? This page is for people thinking about, or just getting into splits - ask your questions, get some free advice, members always happy to help out.

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

Ginger
Newly Converted

Introductions but no bus from adelaide

Post by Ginger »

Hi guys and girls unfortunately if you came here for photos of a cool splity I'm going to disappoint you....

I am on the home stretch of a mini moke and was thinking about what I will spend my weekends swearing at when its "finished" ( it's never finished). Well I was out driving around the western suburbs for my job and a red and black split window drove past in the other direction. I have to say I almost did a u turn to follow it and check it out some more. I have also seen a split SC in red and black around the traps but unfortunalty I have the new guy curse and love windows, the more the better...

For the foreseeable future (Christmas) I have promised not to buy any new projects as the honey moon must be paid for but next year all bets are off!!! So I am here to read as much as possible, see if I'm still in love in 7 months (with the mom is) and if I have any new air cooled friends. (Secretly I have already asked around with a few people if they have any barn finds awaiting my rescue)

So hi :D
Roo
DSKer

Re: Introductions but no bus from adelaide

Post by Roo »

G'day Ginger and welcome to the land of the split!! Beware of the Kombi Kurse, once it bites there's no going back... 8)
Cheers, Roo
KombiMadness
DSKer

Post by KombiMadness »

Hi Ginger,

Welcome! :D

Mate, a Mini Moke is a seriously cool car I reckon and a good one is quite rare these days. They are an icon of cheap travel in warm countries before too many ADR's crept up....... My flat mate had one 35 years ago and we used to fly around in that thing and had so much fun. Like All Minis they corner on rails......

Post up some photos of your Moke resto in 'Anything Goes' - we'd love to see it.

I hope you're good at welding though because the only way to get a split under 30k these days is to buy a half rusted out one! :shock: and even then people are paying too much! Being in SA is good because there seems to be a steady stream of dry(ish) country paddock finds from that state. Keep your ears to the ground and hopefully the right project bus will soon be in your garage.....
My Dad's Kombi circa 1967 at Taronga Zoo. I'm the light weight with the skinny legs, my older brother is doing the roof jump!
Ginger
Newly Converted

Post by Ginger »

I'll do a thread in anything goes but just because I have the chance:

The red panel was to show some one the color it used to be.

I really am hoping to find something in a shed in the middle of no where at the moment, that elusive genuine 30k km dry barn find 23 window samba with original paint....... :roll: I do travel a lot for work and my job is mainly talking to groups of people so you never know your luck.
067DUB
DSKer

Post by 067DUB »

Welcome pal, wicked Moke bud, good luck with the Bus hunting, ask lots of questions and be sure to buy the right project, they are very labour intensive resto's .
Cam Biscuit
DSKer

Post by Cam Biscuit »

Nice Moke!