My first is in Perth! Can anyone help?

New to VWs or just new to Split Busses? Want to know more? This page is for people thinking about, or just getting into splits - ask your questions, get some free advice, members always happy to help out.

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

Jessica
DSKer

My first is in Perth! Can anyone help?

Post by Jessica »

Hi, I am looking at my first splitty (VERY excited), it's in Perth, I'm in Canberra. It has $13 000 on it, immac outside (repainted). The details are as follows:
1966 Australian Splitscreen Kombi
Unregistered
1500cc motor
High Speed Conversion
Convertible bed/back seat
Holden power booster brakes
Dual Fuel tanks
Tinted windows
Deep Garnet Red and Off-White Finish

I think it sounds like an awesome buy. I want to drive it home (the folks aren't too keen on my maiden voyage idea ha ha). The gear selector needs work (what does that mean? The gearbox??) I'm mostly worried about some of the rust the pics show. The people who are selling work full time and say they don't have the time to take it to the VW place I found as it is 40 minutes from where I live. Is anyone in Perth willing to go and check it out (I'd pay of course!)? The mechanics won't go to it apparently. Helllllp! :D
Jessica
Jessica
DSKer

Post by Jessica »

Oh, this is the pics i can access (hotmail is freaking out again)
Attachments
kombi2.jpg
kombi2.jpg (36.63 KiB) Viewed 9024 times
Jessica
Jessica
DSKer

Post by Jessica »

Inside
Attachments
kombi3.jpg
kombi3.jpg (32.09 KiB) Viewed 9023 times
Jessica
Jessica
DSKer

Post by Jessica »

Inside
Attachments
kombi3.jpg
kombi3.jpg (32.09 KiB) Viewed 9022 times
Jessica
lobus
DSKer

Post by lobus »

Where abouts in Perth is it? I have a mate over there who has a very critical eye. If I can ppersuade him maybe he will go and check it out for you.
Jessica
DSKer

Post by Jessica »

WOW! That is JUST what I need, thanks so much for the quick reply. They haven't told me yet, i will post something as soon as I get a message back from them. Thanks again!
Jessica
lobus
DSKer

Post by lobus »

I can't mqake any promises butI will certainly give it a try for you.
David
Jessica
DSKer

Post by Jessica »

Just got a message, they said they are in Swanbourne. I will send you a pm shortly, ta mate!
Jessica
vsleepy
DSKer

Post by vsleepy »

Hi Jessica, not sure we can let any more splits cross the border...!

If lobus' mate cant go have a look i'd be more than happy to go have a look-see and take a pile of photos for you, and give you my less than expert opinion! :D

r,
James
Jessica
DSKer

Post by Jessica »

Wow, this little site is one big happy family huh? lol. Well that would definatley be cool. What do you mean by less than expert?... :wink:
Jessica
frenzix
DSKer

Post by frenzix »

have really really good look over it before you fork out your greens, it has been butchered a little.
crewcabconnection
Mod

Post by crewcabconnection »

its a panel van obviously, but as Timmy says, you need to have a very close look at it. New paint hides a multitude of sins. Ask the owner for pics of the work done...any self-respecting split owner will ahve taken a gazillion photos.

Particularly check ...

1. The front nose, especially the bottom, they all rust big time there, a magnet is your friend in that department. The bumber and the lower lip seem to be out of shape.

2. Check those window frames, looks like someones 2pac'd the rubbers.

3. Whats going on with the fuel doors?

4. Whats with the air intake over the back?

Jessica, great to have you in here ... that bus is a panel, not a windowed van, and it's missing the cab divider, which is a structural item, not to mention a good place to put the spare.

At $13k, you have to think that the paint job looks like a 3k 2pac and given the inner windows are still gulf blue (panel colour), I'd be worried as who ever has done it has not stripped and done all of it. Its no real hassle to paint inside if you've got the rubber out anyway.

The brakes are Holden ... you need to get someone to look at that as its a home made modification, as in the fuel tanks. Why do that? High speed 1500?, well if it's running the stock gearbox and reduction hubs, it will certainly be screaming, but not with power, just noise.

At $13k, I personally would not buy it. I think that it's worth 4-6k looking at it from the few photos. The owner really needs to justify the money on it. It's more wrong than right. Just my opinion, but as its not a DSK known ride, be wary. Check out Muzza's original bus he bought recently for similar money.

I bought something that looks like this many years ago and got my fingers burned...given all the chop work, they are asking top money for it.

I know it sounds like a downer, and know that feeling of 'I must have one'...but take this to a smash repairs and get an independent inspection done. I suspect that you can spend $13k better.

PM the Chief or Kombi Rescue ... or call them ... I they can't go look, but can certainly help you 'vet' the vechicle...

Hope I've not poo pood it, but it's a lot of money.
Cognitive Dissonance - The only way to grind.
crewcabconnection
Mod

Post by crewcabconnection »

And PM Elton and Helmut - the local DSK chapter in Canberra....they might help out or show you their stuff, which will help you get a perspective on costs. Sorry the above post was full of typos. Opps
Cognitive Dissonance - The only way to grind.
byronbus
Admin

Post by byronbus »

Yeah too dear for what?

Id ask elton to help you find a bus...

{Edit} Elton goes by the name of GREENBUS {edit}
littlerubberthings
DSKer

Post by littlerubberthings »

hmmm - was thinking it doesnt look kosha but well said ccc - dont know how you can tell the rubbers are 2pacd though...

Jessica - the simple point as ccc said was if its all legit the owner will have heaps of pics of all the rust being cut and steel being welded back in - if they dont they didnt. I too bought a shinny glossy beast many years back only to watch it grow in size as the rust hidden by bog grew and swelled the bog and cracked the paint and turned into a disgusting hulk that would have cost more than the bus was 'worth' to fix :(

Take your time and $13k will get you a good solid bus thats not going to keep costing you. Some of the freaks on here will help you out for sure...
good luck