G'Day im new here, after some advice.

New to VWs or just new to Split Busses? Want to know more? This page is for people thinking about, or just getting into splits - ask your questions, get some free advice, members always happy to help out.

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

Joel
Newly Converted

G'Day im new here, after some advice.

Post by Joel »

Hi my name is Joel, im originally from the hunter region of nsw and i am looking into getting a splitty for the "soul" purpose of fixing it up for a ratty. Can anyone point me in the direction of advice for purchasing, having the rat registered, and what the best engine is for a conversion? :D
Hoves
DSKer

Post by Hoves »

Hi Joel, in my opinion, i think you are best to first source a split within your budget, and once you have your canvas, fire away with the questions. There are so many variations..
Joel
Newly Converted

Post by Joel »

Is there any good sites that regulary have split screen kombis posted for sale or any wreckers i should visit?
ozjeff
DSKer

Post by ozjeff »

Here and ebay are your best bet for a rat resto bus. Let people know a bit more about what you are after and how much you want to pay for a bus. There are lots of people with things lying around, wave some dollars about and you might get a reply.
Joel
Newly Converted

Post by Joel »

Im after a panel van soon and will be looking at paying up to $2500, wann lock it up in me shed and have myself and some mates work on it for a few years to get it running and rego'd
paul willans
DSKer

Post by paul willans »

good luck,you'll need it with $2500!
clk500 AMG
64 s Notch
57 Boronia Brown bus
59 Pmg ute
62 Beryl Green bus
brad@busnbug
DSKer

Post by brad@busnbug »

Probably need to spend a bit more Joel. Go back through the "splits for sale" section here and see what $2500 buys. You'll get a feel for the market.
zeuspig
DSKer

Post by zeuspig »

There is a Van on ebay at the moment starting bid $3500.

If you get anything around the $2500 expect to spend BIG dollars on it to get it up to registered.
Joel
Newly Converted

Post by Joel »

Thanks guys i think il have to increase my budget, i saw that one on ebay dont look too bad, its great having this site for a dipshit like me, im learning lots and very much appreciate all the replys
MISS VDUB
DSKer

Post by MISS VDUB »

Come to the right place, definitely expand your budget and you will hunt down something to work with.

Rats Rock!
brad@busnbug
DSKer

Post by brad@busnbug »

its great having this site for a dipshit like me, im learning lots
Don't worry Joel, It's a big learning curve and no-one ever has all the answers. Ask away and you'll get all the help you need.
Joel
Newly Converted

Post by Joel »

what are some of the most important things to look for and ask when buying a split screen :?:
zeuspig
DSKer

Post by zeuspig »

The body is the most important - No bent chasis or bad rusted chasis.
Rust issues mainly are;
around the front nose, front floor pans, doglegs, side sills inner and outer, your jacking points and outriggers. Cargo floor. Remember they rust from the inside out so if you can see on the out it's going to be hell worse when you start cutting.

I would steer clear of any with bad roof rust, the rest of the panels are easy to obtain.
Last edited by zeuspig on Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joel
Newly Converted

Post by Joel »

Thanks for that. I dont mind the rust at all as im looking for a ratter. how hard is it to have them regod with the body looking all rusty, what do they mainly look for? what are the main things that needs to be spot on
zeuspig
DSKer

Post by zeuspig »

I had a car regoed in QLD a few months back and all rust had to be covered over. I needed it on the road so just put bog over the rust to get it regoed. But it wasn't too bad only in the tailgate.

As for just surface rust that is no problem it can look ratty but will have to pass a roadworthy. Anything structual will not pass!!

I am doing a rat at the moment and replaced heaps, have a look at 58DD in the resto section, this one was pretty bad and I replaced most panels.

Here is a link to mine, but you will find many other restos have a look through to see what you will be up for.

viewtopic.php?t=6249