1960 Split Window Resto/Rebuild

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

067DUB
DSKer

Re: 1960 Split Window Resto/Rebuild

Post by 067DUB »

63 left hooker wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 6:12 am
VRSenator065 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:22 pm I started leaning toward the red 9, but IMO it's very very good but a compromise. It was going to cost me a lot to have it engineered, and the way the steering shaft sits so low and is exposed is a problem, the turning circle is also compromised. It uses the factory mounting only, which wasn't designed to take the loads out of a coil over. From my point of view, dropping serious $$ on a suspension that still has limitations didn't make sense. That's just my point of view btw...
Lucky I bought it 10 years ago when it was less expensive and the Aussie dollar was at parity (still doesn't rectify the short comings mentioned but a bit easier to swallow)
Yeh me too, think mine was 4.5k or something like that, I'd K+L with flipped spindles now days
63 left hooker
DSKer

Post by 63 left hooker »

067DUB wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 6:59 pm
63 left hooker wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 6:12 am
VRSenator065 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:22 pm I started leaning toward the red 9, but IMO it's very very good but a compromise. It was going to cost me a lot to have it engineered, and the way the steering shaft sits so low and is exposed is a problem, the turning circle is also compromised. It uses the factory mounting only, which wasn't designed to take the loads out of a coil over. From my point of view, dropping serious $$ on a suspension that still has limitations didn't make sense. That's just my point of view btw...
Lucky I bought it 10 years ago when it was less expensive and the Aussie dollar was at parity (still doesn't rectify the short comings mentioned but a bit easier to swallow)
Yeh me too, think mine was 4.5k or something like that, I'd K+L with flipped spindles now days
Pretty sure I paid $10k for front and rear way back when. I too would probably go in a different direction now. Would look a air ride 8) 8)
61 dc
67 beetle
red hot bus
DSKer

Post by red hot bus »

Love how your making it your own, I remember at the start you were making everything so it could be returned to stock. Now it will be one weapon of a kombi, can’t wait to see it completed. I’ve fitted a few red 9 kits to customer cars and really couldn’t recommend them, especially for the money these days. The biggest benefit is eliminating the old steering box. Will be pretty keen to see how your set up works Gary and also if maybe it could be modified a little to fit a standard kombi with a little less modifications.
Way too many projects
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Yea Cooper, I remember saying that too... The Senator started that way too, next minute...
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Went out and saw the progress, tubs are all but done. When they started working on the passenger door they weren't happy with how thin the metal was on the lower edge. I had only done the driver's side, so they will make up a repair patch. I had also missed welding the front valance fully, which needed a slice taken to pull it in properly. But that's pretty much the tubs done. It will need the seat frame massaged but that's simple. Tbh they have done way more work than I had thought it would need, I had sort of got a bit over it, welding and grinding, so probably should have kept it home and done more, but at least it's being done properly, would have been a pisser to all my work then have it not come up 100% due to what I had missed.

63 left hooker
DSKer

Post by 63 left hooker »

Sensational work! What does the tape measure show?
61 dc
67 beetle
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

63 left hooker wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:15 pm Sensational work! What does the tape measure show?
Cheers, I was just seeing how low it was, 135mm.
63 left hooker
DSKer

Post by 63 left hooker »

VRSenator065 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:52 pm
63 left hooker wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:15 pm Sensational work! What does the tape measure show?
Cheers, I was just seeing how low it was, 135mm.
Nice!
61 dc
67 beetle
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Might add, that's bump stop low, I will never run it that low in practice.
scotty*85vw
DSKer

Post by scotty*85vw »

VRSenator065 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:36 am
Dude that’s the money shot. yeaaaah!

Well how much lower than 135mm you going to try run it then 😬 haha

Gone back through this a hand full of times. Sensation work. Going to be epic bus!
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Thanks dude!!, I never intended to show it, but if I ever do, I will most likely screw it down that low, it does have the cool factor. I'm just stoked it's that low and has full clearance lock to lock. Have ordered the CSP Python exhaust, also the CE dual brake booster set up. I need the booster in my hand so I can get up under the bus and work out a neat spot for it. Part of me thinks opposite the battery in the bay, which means running the two brake lines to the rear, then the front one back again, but it's that or booster at the front and vacuum line to the front from the engine. Or I go an electric vacuum pump as I ran on the Senator which means I could put them anywhere easily. The SV6 Commodores have a super neat compact electric vacuum pump, with an inbuilt pressure valve etc so you just need a power feed from ignition via a relay and you are gtg. Cross that bridge when I come to it I guess.
spl65t
DSKer

Post by spl65t »

Is this wearing some colour yet ?
Update due…. :D
Der Splitty.....slowest thing up the Blue Mtns, since Wentworth, Blaxland & Lawson :twisted:
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

First things first, shit there is some activity on here lately, awesome!! Bit of a lull in it really for me anyway, mainly working on the MG whilst waiting for bits to arrive. Body-wise they are just fully finishing the tubs, which fingers crossed means it will be back into full epoxy by the end of this week, then it's onto colour prep again. Have just received my dual cct brake servo from CE, looks like a nicely built unit. Also have got the electric brake vacuum pump. Still unsure if I go that way or traditional vacuum to the manifold, Also have made progress on the rear trailing arms, springs are ordered now too, just need to design the brake adapter to get it all working with the rear discs I am using. Also have chosen the upholsterer, and have been speaking to the cabinet maker about the mods we have planned for the stereo unit we are basing the interior around.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Couldn't go out and see it today as waiting on the test to see if I have picked up the Chinese bat flu. I wouldn't tell painters this, but I am not sure this is the most exciting time of a build, although I 100% recognise the work that gets it to this point! But progress is progress...
63 left hooker
DSKer

Post by 63 left hooker »

P
"Progress IS progress". I'm full bore into my Beetle build at the moment and get excited every time I manage to tick a box off as done, no matter how small.
61 dc
67 beetle