1959 resto

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

longboardbus
DSKer

1959 resto

Post by longboardbus »

Hi there

I found this 1959 bus in a barn about 6 months ago. It took a bit of wrestling but finally got it purchased and dragged it home. Its not in too bad condition for over here (NZ) but you may think its pretty bad compared to the busses in oz. Its got no rego but i've been in touch with the rego people and shouldnt be a problem as long as the work is done properly. The plan is to do the work once and do it well its not going to be a quick resto (couple of years maybe) just keep plugging away at it trying to do as much as possible myself ..... all part of the fun. I want to try and keep it pretty standard without getting anal about it if poss tweak suspension to get a couple or three inches lower. The bus came without engine but i have a 65 bus in a real bad state with 1500 engine / box and 12V conversion so hopefully just swop it all over. Anyway work has now commenced. I got the bus pretty much stripped down the bottom was covered in underseal so i've been chipping this off before i send the bus in to get media blasted. The guy knows what he's doing using Garnet i think, thanks for all the info on this site for helping with this decision. Hopefully get all the underseal off in the next week the off to the blaster to see how bad it reallly is. Here's a few piccies anyway
Attachments
017.JPG
017.JPG (49.04 KiB) Viewed 2287 times
P1310562.JPG
P1310562.JPG (70.95 KiB) Viewed 596 times
P2020573.JPG
P2020573.JPG (64.85 KiB) Viewed 596 times
P2020593.JPG
P2020593.JPG (72.23 KiB) Viewed 596 times
P2020594.JPG
P2020594.JPG (71.01 KiB) Viewed 596 times
Last edited by longboardbus on Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aloha bro
no show
DSKer

Post by no show »

looks like you will busy , good on you for having a go yourself
loVol
DSKer

Post by loVol »

Hey mate, I'm basically in the same boat myself. Looks pretty solid on the NZ scale!!!
Getting a rego isn't as big of an issue as some try to make out, just make sure the repairs are good, and well documented with pics.

Daniel.
Leroy
DSKer

Post by Leroy »

Nice one mate, good luck with it all. Keep us all up to date with progress. :D
chillax
DSKer

Post by chillax »

Got to love a 59!
Best of luck with it all mate :)
zeuspig
DSKer

Post by zeuspig »

Love the early buses. Good stuff mate.

Look forward to seeing more
kombi1976
DSKer

Post by kombi1976 »

Don't sweat about the condition of your bus, mate.
Plenty of guys on this list have had serious rust work done on what were just shells.
Yours doesn't look too bad, especially for a pre-60 Bus.
Cheers & God Bless

'62 Beetle
'62 Panel project
'67 Panel
longboardbus
DSKer

1959 resto

Post by longboardbus »

Spent a bit of time going over the bus with a fine tooth comb. This is the list of replacement panels i need. I'm going to put an order in with Gerson next few days to get this underway. Its not going to be cheap but as they say you get what you pay for. (Cheers again for the crack on this site about different replacement panel suppliers)
Cargo door rocker (inc inner sill)
Pass side B pillar (lower 400mm)
Drivers side B pillar (lower 400mm)
C pillar (lower 400mm)
Doglegs both sides (F**K these are expensive)
Lower inner valance
lower outer valance
Lower nose (150mm)
Short side rocker
2 x top hat sections
Windshield repair section
4 x outriggers
4 x jacking points
LHS cargo door lower repair section
RHS cargo door lower repair section
Long side rocker (inc inner sill)
Pass side cabin floor repair section
Drivers side cabin floor repair section
Heater tube
Cross brace front chassis
Cross brace rear chassis
Cargo floor ........ not sure if its easier just to replace the lot will buy locally tho

Hopefully finish chippin underseal this weekend Its a crap job but should save me a few bucks!
Aloha bro
longboardbus
DSKer

slow progress

Post by longboardbus »

Just thought i would post an update. Progress is slow! the bus is undercover (carport) but its pretty cold at the moment and getting dark before 6pm stops any real progress.... dreaming of summer. I have spent a lot of time chipping off underseal and after several hours of frustration I decided to rip up the cargo floor 1. It needed a few patches anyway and 2. for the sake of $600 it going to make the next stage a lot easier i havent got a rotisserie so at least i will be able to see what im doing.

Best news is that my Klassicfab repair panels have arrived... woohoo!

I have played around with them and they look like they will fit beautifully. They look really well made... one hitch there was some confusion over the order and i got a couple of bits i didnt ask for but missed out on a couple of bits i needed. Gerson was awesome about it he is going to send my missing bit across for nothing and when i sell my extra bits i will deposit that into his account cannot say fairer than that.
Really recommend Klassicfab if anyone else is undecided on where to buy their repair panels from.

Anyway a couple of photos
Attachments
P4030720.JPG
P4030720.JPG (71.54 KiB) Viewed 312 times
P4030721.JPG
P4030721.JPG (52.61 KiB) Viewed 312 times
Aloha bro
OMR_007
DSKer

Post by OMR_007 »

That sounds really good mate! Keep the progress coming. I too am looking forward to summer :D
morts
DSKer

Post by morts »

Looks like your getting all set up to rip into it. Also looks like Gerson sent everything except the body shell :lol: :lol:
No matter what happens they can't take you out in the street and shoot you......