Volksarama "Bonneville Bus" to become reality

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

boxrod
DSKer

Post by boxrod »

Vee Dub Parts Unlimited - http://www.vwparts.net/ - The folks over at V.D.P.U. decided they wanted in the project. Greg offered up a set of their 94mm long cylinders and a set of high quality Wiseco pistons. What an awsome contribution!!! If you've never been to their website, check it out. It's very well organized and easy to find what you need. Thanks guys.

I also did some stuff on the bus this week. I finished installing the Moon discs. These are the Zdus fastener style and look bitchen. Alot more work than the hub cap style but good for high speed.
I took an old Moon disc and made it into an installtion jig.
That way I could mark where the tabs were to be welded in.

Then welded them on. They need to be placed at exactly the right spot and at the right depth and angle to fit right.

The rear wheels will be spaced out farther out to get the right look.
[img]http://volksarama.smugmug.com/photos/234773784-XL.jpg
boxrod
DSKer

Post by boxrod »

Updates can be followed at http://www.volksarama.com/BonnevilleBuilduppage1.html

Vee Dub Parts Unlimited - http://www.vwparts.net/mm5/merchant.mvc ... e_Code=VWP - The guys over there felt like they wanted in, so they contributed a super nice set of 94mm long jaycee cylinders and a set of 94mm Wiesco pistons !!! With the big stroke, long rod, low compression, and turbo pressures the high quality set of plugs and jugs will work awsome. Thanks VDPU.

I also got the bus over to George and Kevin over at The Wagen. These guys specialize is panel replacement, slam jobs, complete restorations and general repair. They will do all the rest of the sheetmetal replacement and customizing.
Front sheetmetal R&R was first. Kevin removed the old buckets from the old skin and installed them in the new front skin from E.I.S.. He also shaved the front turn signal holes. Nice job KEV.
They also started shaving the dash and made a small tunnel from the drag link. Next they are going to convert the BIG back window to a small one and shave off the fresh air vent and overhang.

And off topic. I got a new design in stock now. Notch-O-Grande is a south-of-the-border themed Type 3 shirt with a little Day of the Dead mixed in. Available in red, black, and white and sizes from smal to 5X !!!Check it out at www.volksarama.com
boxrod
DSKer

Post by boxrod »

Kevin kicked ass again at the end of the week and fabricated/installed the pre-64 window opening. He used an older style hatch and then grafted in two filler panels along the sides. I think he got it all done in a day. It totally changes the rear look of the bus. Next, Chris Clark, is going to be the removal of the fresh air overhang to make it look like a barndoor front end.

Before

After

Nice work Kevin. Remember that's THE WAGEN in Las Vegas.
Dasdubber
DSKer

Post by Dasdubber »

nice updates - loving watching progress!
boxrod
DSKer

Post by boxrod »

More work being done today. Chris Clark started the front roof rework on Friday. Monday he finished roughing in the overall shape. There is still alot of welding to do to connect the spot welds, but the shape is definitely there. All work was done at The Wagen. These boys do not mess around.

Before

Friday

Monday

Thanks Chris, awsome work as always.
benettonvw
DSKer

Post by benettonvw »

Nice stuff Derek.
We meet at the Classic in June(actually at Nick Diners before the Classic).. I am the tall, freaky looking skinny guy.. I think you some pics of my tattoos and stuff too.

Just thought I'd say hi and glad to see that this bus you are passionate about is working out for ya.

Jim.
Volksaddict
DSKer

Post by Volksaddict »

...great stuff..keep the pics coming..please
Cheers and Beers rayv
kombi1976
DSKer

Post by kombi1976 »

Wow! Automatic barndoor!! :shock:
Maybe I should do that to my bus........ :| :D
Cheers & God Bless

'62 Beetle
'62 Panel project
'67 Panel
boxrod
DSKer

Post by boxrod »

Chris Clark wrapped up the metal fab on the roof this week. If you would like this done to your bus, either contact Chris Clark or The Wagen for more info on pricing. here's the final result

Next stop is right next door to Jim's shop called Sand Freak. Jim is an awsome welder/fabricator. He's finishing this rail right now. All in house designed and built (except drivetrain). This will be his signature car. He also does roll bars/cages, bumbers. sheetmetal fab, etc. Great guy and great work.
mascalzone
DSKer

Post by mascalzone »

ok DSK..in keeping with this..I have yet to purchase a panel (which is what I want)..so..I am accepting money to go towards my split..rest assured when I get it I will tell everybody how you all gave till it hurt (you, alot more than me) then, if it's an old shitter that needs work, I will happily accept your labour, advice, free parts - old or new, lots of ego stroking, and when you have all contributed to it's purchase and it's build..well..ya can all piss of as your not ever ganna ride in it.
I will also pimp my kids in the photo for the cuteness value and a hope you have deeper pockets....
BSB..021 221
account..498 487 866

send all free stuff to me at 26 Casablanca Crt, Burleigh Waters, qld 4220

next post I will have heaps of cheap stuff made in china and sold with a 297% markup to all you suckers..
Karmann1
DSKer

Post by Karmann1 »

How the bloody hell do you get these things so low????

Nice front runners.
My busses may be rusty and they may not go but damn, they look cool!
boxrod
DSKer

Post by boxrod »

5 inch dropped spindles and 7 inch narrowed beam in front. Raised torsion housing in back.
boxrod
DSKer

Post by boxrod »

Alright, it's was really quiet last month because Jim, from Sand Freak had to complete the Mega-dollar sand rail for a customer. He was still working on the bus though, but what he was doing was laying the foundation for the cage. Very important work but not real interesting to look at. Well, this last two weeks he's been putting the actual cage in and it's starting to look like a race car. All the bars are not in yet, but you'll get the idea. Another couple days and the cage should be done then back to The Wagen to get the nose skin back on and rockers installed and misc metal work.
The first couple pics are just the attachment points under the bus.

Go to www.volksarama.com to keep up on the BVille Bus and show coverage

I'm still looking for a few more sponsors. Contact me if you want to get on board. Thanks, Derek
boxrod
DSKer

Post by boxrod »

Alright, the cage is all done. My kids are gonna have fun playing on all the bars. Next it's headed back next door to The Wagen to get the nose skin put back on.

Gonna have to raise it a bit because of the extra weight.
crewcabconnection
Mod

Post by crewcabconnection »

that nukking futs!
Cognitive Dissonance - The only way to grind.