My 1967 VLKSWGN

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

winerot
The Chairman

Post by winerot »

its just dripping character & the trip meter is to drool for, want to sell it :wink: just guess the speed.
cheers wally
Penguin
DSKer

Post by Penguin »

shark wrote:OK guys I am new to this so bear with me. My mind says wider rear narrower front may make it tippy? But if you go wide rims all around you may have steering problems and aqua plaining problems. So wider rear tyres give better drive but thinner fronts will help with steering :? But that should work well if you keep the same axle width. So if this is the case why make the axle width narrower on the front ? I think :?
Others will know more about this than me, as my bus is stock. When the front of the bus is lowered there are clearance problems between the front wheels and the body. Narrowing the beam and running lower profile tyres on the front provides more clearance. I have no idea how handling is affected, but like you I've wondered if the bus becomes less stable.
kombi1976
DSKer

Post by kombi1976 »

It's basic geometry that the bus will be more unstable but it's all comparative.
Afterall the suspension is a lot lower than standard and stiffer than standard.
As a result it moves less readily and keeps the vehicle flatter.
If you have a stack of body roll with the standard redux hubs then it would be problematic but with straight axel kit or IRS and a lowered front it would handle better even with the narrowed front.
It probably wouldn't handle as well as a standard width front beam but then that's negligible because the overall handling would be far better than standard.
Cheers & God Bless

'62 Beetle
'62 Panel project
'67 Panel