65 Devon Caravette

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

SuperSid
DSKer

Post by SuperSid »

It's all a bit new to me too, but the guy that built it has been in the game over 30 years so knows his shit...pretty sure he gets them out of germany, and says it should cruise at 100kph around 3000rpm. It depends on the rolling circumference of the tyres you run, i'm getting a ratio sheet with speeds later in the week to work out mine, will let you know how it comes out. No worries with the 1500...
steveo69
DSKer

Post by steveo69 »

Hey SuperSid - nice video re beetle paint job. In fact paint job looks great on the screen etc Can you send me more details by chance re advantages (obviously price) but others, disadvantages and traps for beginners. Why wont you be doing the kombi that way is it because you have invested more bare metal work on it that?
Very interested as i have a 59 ute that i want to look good but not at a 10k price tag. Might be better to buy a ticket for you to come to Perth to do a job on it for me!
Cheers
Steveo69
SuperSid
DSKer

Post by SuperSid »

Advantages? No many, just cheap i guess...the only other thing is that it's easy to touch up if you get a scrape. it's never going to be as good as a professional spray job, but if you have a ride you just want to get on the road and have some fun, for a fixed budget it's okay. This method is very time consuming, okay for a small car but a Kombi? A lot of metal there, also mine is going back to OG colours, and this method is pretty limited in the colour range. Get a door or something and do some practice, a lot of people have had some good results...have a rummage through this thread, heaps more info here.... http://thekombikonnection.myfreeforum.o ... ut796.html

SuperSid
DSKer

Re: 65 Devon Caravette

Post by SuperSid »

There's tumbleweeds rolling through this old thread...but....after 6 years the project is a runner! Fitted the interior over the Xmas holidays and been on a few cruises since then, including the nationals a couple of weeks ago at Easter. Big job and I won't be rushing back to do it again! Shiny exterior, original patina'd interior....

matara
Admin

Post by matara »

Looking great, JP White would be proud of you! Are you still looking for any missing Devon parts, or did you find them all?

Cheers

Steve
SuperSid
DSKer

Post by SuperSid »

Pretty much got them all Steve, wouldn't mind an original washstand as mine is a rep, got the Easicool/crockery cabinet/Dudley cooker/whale pump/light from UK over about 3 years. This stuff is getting rare and hard to find! How's your 65 going? Been away from this site for a while as trouble logging on but all good now...
SuperSid
DSKer

Post by SuperSid »

Just added this little gem to the stable, 1963 SO34 Westy flipseat, og paint and 27,000 miles on the clock, spent most of it's life in a museum...! Full tent incl sides and front, as well as the foyer tent, missing a few small accessories but i'm on the hunt and that's part of the journey 8)

chriswill66
DSKer

Post by chriswill66 »

Super cool Super Sid. Has that porta- potty got a wooden seat?.... and is the porta-potty part of the original fit-out? I Love the whole set- up. Magnificent.
Cam Biscuit
DSKer

Post by Cam Biscuit »

Sweet as, Sid!
SuperSid
DSKer

Post by SuperSid »

chriswill66 wrote:Super cool Super Sid. Has that porta- potty got a wooden seat?.... and is the porta-potty part of the original fit-out? I Love the whole set- up. Magnificent.
Yip wooden seat for the crapa, the previous model (SO23) had a black seat. I think it was an option when purchased new, but most the early Westy's seem to have them...
chriswill66
DSKer

Post by chriswill66 »

Cheers mate. I've always loved Westys.... even more now! That crappa is a pearler!!!! :lol:
Crash55
Newly Converted

Post by Crash55 »

Nice ride, looking good.
SuperSid
DSKer

Post by SuperSid »

Got the final piece a while back - genuine Devon awning and poles. Nothing to do on her now, just go for cruises, do the odd wedding and enjoy her to the max....

gaz
DSKer

Post by gaz »

Love it, great set up, ticks all the boxes 8)
Cam Biscuit
DSKer

Post by Cam Biscuit »

Sure does