59 11 window Splitty Custom Resto

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

Hoves
DSKer

Post by Hoves »

Thats good stuff Al. Not to hi-jack the thread, but wanted to give the thumbs up to the boys at Leons Motors, same guys as those doing the tune/work on Armandos bus.
They have finally got the bottom of my issue (around relays/fuel pump, carbs etc). Andy rang today to say a little bit more to go, but the 23 made 118HP at the wheels and he said that he stopped at 5500RPM, but still had a few left in it. Good news is that is now running very well, so cant wait to get it back.
Dasdubber
DSKer

Post by Dasdubber »

Good to hear they got it sorted out Mick - I have no hesitation recommending them as A) they know their stuff, and B) have the in-house dyno (and O2 sensor etc) which provides an objective measure of how the car is running - this makes it a lot easier to track tuning changes and alterations.
kombi1976 wrote:Wow, great to see that car being resurrected.
Will it be returned to it's former glory?
Have you met Peter or Bryan, his brother, who did the sloper job on th car?
Bryan did a lot of rust work on my '67 and is a top bloke.
Peter is still cagey about that motor.
He didn't give up much info when I met him and it was a feral car.
Had to be to kill all those Falcon and Mustang drag cars.
Andy, it will be going back to its Camel sponsored livery with original style signwriting, acrylic paint (rather than two pack etc) - since it will be for exhibition purposes rather than actual competitive racing, the owner has been informed the cigarette advertising shouldn't be an issue. I haven't been fortunate to meet Bryan yet but briefly met Peter once. Dave Butler who is co-ordinating the rebuild using a lot of the original parts has met Peter a number of times and runs one of his other cars on the strip at the moment. Here is a link to a thread with more info re. mechanicals etc:

http://forums.aussieveedubbers.com/view ... ?tid=62163

Cheers
Al
Dasdubber
DSKer

Post by Dasdubber »

Well all the tedious but enjoyable jobs continue on Armando's bus including detailing (paint/polishing) all engine components and ancillaries.

The final variation of the face plate was laser cut and test fitted today before being removed and painted (about 10 mins ago)....tomorrow it will be buffed and reassembled. Pushing to get it all back together for the Jamboree show (four cylinders/rotaries) at Willowbank on sunday if weather is kind.

Cheers
Al
D-Train
DSKer

Post by D-Train »

looks killer al, once again!!
shark
DSKer

Post by shark »

That is sooooo cool guys
I know what I am doing - I Think ?
Tonz Magonz
Mod

Post by Tonz Magonz »

Any thoughts on the Red9 front end yet..?
Wanted..Barny bits or 60's Supercharger other than Judson
Dasdubber
DSKer

Post by Dasdubber »

Tonz, so far so good - it made a big difference to handling and ride comfort by playing with the shock bump settings and coil over height. We pulled the engine for detailing (above) but hoping to get certification in the next few weeks after which we can legally drive it on the road more thoroughly assessing the front end. Early indications suggest the investment will be worthwhile.

Getting close to completion now...a few more interior photos:

More photos here for anyone interested:
http://dasrestohaus.com.au/gallery2/v/C ... g2_page=41

Cheers
Al
Tonz Magonz
Mod

Post by Tonz Magonz »

Thanks Al..

The design and finish is just awesome..

Hope to call by for a sticky-nose during the Vic school holidays at the end of Sept..

Cheers
Hoves
DSKer

Post by Hoves »

Thats off the charts Al - great work. cant wait to see it in the flesh..
KombiMadness
DSKer

Post by KombiMadness »

Love those sly front indicators within the front bar...
Pixie
DSKer

Post by Pixie »

Love the bus and hate to ask a silly question (feel free to flame me for it) but will this have a spare wheel? and if so where would it go. I Remeber seeing what you did for 'sharky' s bus but this has a different interior.
I'll apologise now for the stupid question once again :oops:
Dasdubber
DSKer

Post by Dasdubber »

Pixie wrote:Love the bus and hate to ask a silly question (feel free to flame me for it) but will this have a spare wheel? and if so where would it go. I Remeber seeing what you did for 'sharky' s bus but this has a different interior.
I'll apologise now for the stupid question once again :oops:
Not a silly question at all. There is a small recess on the right side of the engine access hatch (interior) where the spare wheel will sit. I know I have a pic of a wheel sitting in there but can't find it right now in amongst the 1200 pics of this build! There is a custom made bracket that the wheel bolts to keep it in position. Here is the bracket:

Cheers
Al
PS Tonz, you're always welcome for a visit, we should have the bus registered by then and we'll most likely still have it so we can drive it around for a while to sort any issues out before we hand it over.
Tonz Magonz
Mod

Post by Tonz Magonz »

:wink:
Another reason to look forward to the Sept. holidays.. :D
tombi (aka type2tommy)
DSKer

Post by tombi (aka type2tommy) »

Haha Tonz, you will be able to order a NEW bus from Al and Co' after test driving Armando's
Dasdubber
DSKer

Post by Dasdubber »

More pics and progress....

Exhaust was ceramic coated but in black instead of the usual silver for a more 'factory' look

Modified A1 header from Tiger at A1 Exhausts in the US (not the cheap copy)....we custom made the muffler setup

Bumper and engine lid/valance back on finally

Now its getting a little better dialled in we can start to push it a little harder to more effectively evaluate the Red9 Design double wishbone front end

Shut down time for the day....

Another youtube clip of another test run out the front of our workshop:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GoXcHJ67_A

Cheers
Al
PS will have the bus up at the VWDC show at wynnum on Sunday for anyone keen to have a look.