Warbs old panel- now logo'd and dropped

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

volksmanharry
DSKer

Post by volksmanharry »

D-Train wrote:looks killer, glad someone who will do somethin with it ended up gettin it..

seems warb gave u a whole heap of stuff with it...
Yeah it was good timing, Warbs panel came up just at the right time. A whole front cab, minus the front panel, was included which made it easier to replace the bulkhead. It was still a long haul from Penrith to Toowoomba, but well worth it I think. Aim is to get the panel done by Valla 2012 all kitted out to camp. Somehow I think with all my sons pushing, it will be done before then.
warb
Mod

Post by warb »

mate, looks like your just about there.. like dion said, good to see someone doing something with it, i sat on it for over 2 years.... :oops:
volksmanharry
DSKer

Post by volksmanharry »

I needed to move the panel to make it easier to work on the other side, so the decision was made to put the motor in and bring the old girl to life. You see to turn it around it had to be driven out onto the footpath and turned around and then driven back in. So a good test if the gearbox is OK. It was in neutral when we picked it up and I haven't been game to put it in any other gear in case it got stuck and we couldn't push it around.
All gearbox mounts were replaced as well as the linkage thingy at the front of the gearbox, and the boots at the sides. Isn't that fun without taking the gearbox out!!! A new throw out bearing was also fitted, the fuel tank was fitted, as well as new clutch and accelerator cables. The motor is just a 1600 twin port from a lowlight which meant some of the bellhousing had to be ground. Image
[/img]Image
D-Train
DSKer

Post by D-Train »

warb wrote:mate, looks like your just about there.. like dion said, good to see someone doing something with it, i sat on it for over 2 years.... :oops:
explains the roof dings then..
hehe
morts
DSKer

Post by morts »

nice work, looking very sweet...
No matter what happens they can't take you out in the street and shoot you......
volksmanharry
DSKer

Post by volksmanharry »

A new starter motor and ignition switch were fitted, all things were connected, double checked everything and then connected the battery to bring the old girl to life. Turned the key and the panel roared into life. I think my son and I had a moment......... Anyway I then slowly pushed the clutch in, selected first, and then let the clutch out, all of a sudden the splitty was under its own steam. Tried all the gears, drove it up and down the footpath a few times and the gearbox and reduction boxes seem OK, at 5mph anyway. It was a good splitty day!!!

[/img]Image
headstone
DSKer

Post by headstone »

great job looks the goods
60 panel
kombi1976
DSKer

Post by kombi1976 »

This really inspires me to do the same.
My '62 Panel is kinda similar.....well, very different but not too rusty.
I've also got a lowlight motor for it so I'd better get off my butt.
Cheers & God Bless

'62 Beetle
'62 Panel project
'67 Panel
LM
DSKer

Post by LM »

Cool thread mate. Great ya doing it with ya son's
Just makes me want to get my bus even sooner
kombi1976
DSKer

Post by kombi1976 »

Meant to ask, how hard was it clearance the bell housing and how did you do it??
Cheers & God Bless

'62 Beetle
'62 Panel project
'67 Panel
volksmanharry
DSKer

Post by volksmanharry »

kombi1976 wrote:Meant to ask, how hard was it clearance the bell housing and how did you do it??
I placed a 12 volt 200mm flywheel up against the bellhousing so it gave me a rough idea how much needed to be ground off and from where. It mainly was around the bolt holes. Then I just used the angle grinder and kept checking with the flywheel for clearance. When I put the motor in and turned it by hand the flywheel was just touching the bell housing in places but I just kept turning the motor and the flywheel must have ground off the rest. When I started the motor there were no grinding noises so I'm assuming all is good.
Jockster
DSKer

Post by Jockster »

Hats off to you and your son.
Really enjoying this build. 8)
volksmanharry
DSKer

Post by volksmanharry »

slider wrote:Hats off to you and your son.
Really enjoying this build. 8)
My 15 year old son is an old hand at this kombi resto thing. He has already helped with a 69 kombi resto last year that is just waiting for him to get his license. He will just have to ride shot gun for a few years while his father runs it in for him.

[img][img]http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww18 ... ics002.jpg[/img]
Last edited by volksmanharry on Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
beerdoc
DSKer

Post by beerdoc »

D-Train wrote:
warb wrote:mate, looks like your just about there.. like dion said, good to see someone doing something with it, i sat on it for over 2 years.... :oops:
explains the roof dings then..
hehe

you idiot :roll:

Nice work dudes 8)
Cheers Doc

reVOLKS at Geelong
11th /13th Oct 2013

MAMMO
DSKer

Post by MAMMO »

nice combo on the low light