my $10,000 challenge with 61 Panel

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

FrankenCab
DSKer

Post by FrankenCab »

You can pretty much determine that all brakes flex hoses m/cyl are shot so order all this stuff along with rust repair sections so you can make noise during the day and at night clean and prep brakes wheel bearings and headlights glass seat frames , workout if you want to lower it or keep it stock height , rebuild king /link pins if you do this may aswell flip spindles :wink: , are you going to make it a tryhard bay by irs or stock reduction hubs or straight axle .
Lots of things but all good fun when you get little bits done and it comes back together good luck and... plenty of pics
joeM
DSKer

Post by joeM »

I gave the cabin and back a clean out.
I'm happy with the condition of the front floor, less rust than anticipated.

In the back I removed the funky wooden step. I wondered what it was used for, once I removed it, it was obvious, to hide the plaster repair job.
At least I think its plaster
Attachments
DSC01490.JPG
DSC01490.JPG (87.16 KiB) Viewed 5347 times
insideBack01.jpg
insideBack01.jpg (53.31 KiB) Viewed 5351 times
insideBack02.jpg
insideBack02.jpg (80.57 KiB) Viewed 5351 times
Scott
DSKer

Post by Scott »

Well done. You are a braver man than me though! I have about the same budget, although not game enough to say it out aloud. Will be following this one carefully, and don't be shy with the pics too.
joeM
DSKer

The Front end

Post by joeM »

$200 gone today, I had to buy two decent jack stands and some degreaser, grease, tools,including 2 big assed 32mm spanners to get the front wheel off.
I learnt today that the speedo cable sits through the left front wheel and that you need to remove a small clip to get the hub off (Tricky when you cant see it from the gunk buildup)
Confused
I successfully removed the drum and when I was looking at the front end I was a little perplexed in working out how the suspension worked, No springs and no shock absorbers?? what the?
I compared with the right and then realized that the left had a missing shock absorber, but more importantly the top bolt appears to have snapped off :(
Does anyone know if this can be repaired and how?

Wheel cylinders
I rang importedautoparts.com.au about a new master cylinder and wheel cylinders and found out that the wheel cylinders are over $100 each for this model. It was suggested that with a 64 - 67 backing plate I can get wheel cylinders for around $30 to work.

I want to give the front end a clean and paint and was wondering if the best plan is to remove the front end to do it or leave it in.
Can anyone suggest a plan of attack?
Attachments
frontEnd.jpg
frontEnd.jpg (91.69 KiB) Viewed 5298 times
wheel-cylinder.jpg
wheel-cylinder.jpg (88.34 KiB) Viewed 5298 times
brokenStud.jpg
brokenStud.jpg (65.11 KiB) Viewed 5298 times
dawerks
DSKer

Post by dawerks »

Removing the beam can be a chore. You have to remove the shift rod and that coupler is a beast! IF the coupler/shift rod comes off easily (it won't), then pull the beam. If it doesn't, I would leave the beam alone for another day. The only thing you will gain is a) cleaner beam b) easier access to fix the broken shock bolt.

I personally would leave it and drill out the shock bolt as it is.

That's cool you figured out the left nut is clockwise to loosen :) (Only reverse thread bolt on the whole bus!) :)

As for the early wheel cylinders, that's really expensive over there! They are only $35 each here (not German) x 4 = $140ish, not $400!! I can't advise about switching to the newer parts as I usually just get disc brakes or keep what's stock :) For that much money you're half way to discs!

Anyways the best thing about busses is you have so many options and in the end, they are all your choices! :) The choices you make will make the bus uniquely yours. (But I'm glad you're gonna get it on the road first!).

PS You will have to find ALL of the zerk fittings that is buried in the gunk and start loading them up with a LOT of grease. Tons. You have to basically force the old grease out and push in the new (I love this part!).
Last edited by dawerks on Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
warb
Mod

Post by warb »

moving along there nicely.. love thhat box, maybe need to put that back!.. haha.. you can drill and tap out that bolt.. IF it where me id take the beam right out and rebuild, however youll need to also remove the gear select shaft.. that way to can also weld in some adjusters to get her down a smidge ;) ... heck, swap it over for a narrowed beam while your there.. 8) you'll smoke that budget pretty quick tho!
martinigreenbus
DSKer

Post by martinigreenbus »

If you really want to clean it, you already know the answer Joe.

It's much easier to clean up a pair of skidded up undies if you take them off first. :wink:

Keep up the reports and pictures, they are great. :D 8)
4tune8
DSKer

Post by 4tune8 »

get ya parts here...https://www2.cip1.com/searchresults.asp ... =20&page=3

have a squiz around for other stuff you'll need too
scotty*85vw
DSKer

Post by scotty*85vw »

great work mate

id also suggest cip for parts or busterations but keep orders under 1000 so you dont get import tax.

i found mick motors was best for small things i needed quick, always had stock and apart from one incident always had the next day
Penguin
DSKer

Post by Penguin »

martinigreenbus wrote:If you really want to clean it, you already know the answer Joe.

It's much easier to clean up a pair of skidded up undies if you take them off first. :wink:

Keep up the reports and pictures, they are great. :D 8)
If you really want to leave your undies on you could try getting a mate to hit them with the Gerni whilst you bend over. I couldn't find any pictures.

Regarding your $10,000 budget, you are not allowed to include tools in that. So you haven't spent all that much now have you.
joeM
DSKer

Post by joeM »

ha ha ha ha I just told my wife that tools dont count, after she slapped me she said that you dont make the rules. Oh well I gave it a go.

Not sure I'm liking the idea of bending over and being gernied :shock:

I think its time to strip the undies and do the job properly.
GFresh
DSKer

Post by GFresh »

joeM wrote:
I think its time to strip the undies and do the job properly.
That's the spirit :wink:

Love the pics mate, keep them coming
wohoo
DSKer

Post by wohoo »

Love this post, the drive is second to none, just 3 words Joe, 'dont give up' many do. :P
They laugh because You are different, You laugh because They are all the same.
...................Image.....

Need Towing in Tassie, See www.tigertowing.com.au or call 0400 16 14 12
GFresh
DSKer

Post by GFresh »

wohoo wrote:Love this post, the drive is second to none, just 3 words Joe, 'dont give up' many do. :P
I knew this one would get a green sticker, I think its the budget idea that will drive it's popularity, good one Andy

Do your homework Joe or you'll pop your budget early mate :wink:
joeM
DSKer

Post by joeM »

I may have found a loop hole in my budget.
Birthdays, Fathers days, Christmas, wedding anniversary, valentines day

"Don't say it with a card, say it with a pair of brake shoes for my kombi"
I got three kids 21, 19 & 15 this could work :lol: