my $10,000 challenge with 61 Panel

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

warb
Mod

Post by warb »

ha, nice one mate.. time to get a return on those investments!...
splitbus
DSKer

Post by splitbus »

joeM wrote:I may have found a loop hole in my budget.
Birthdays, Fathers days, Christmas, wedding anniversary, valentines day

"Don't say it with a card, say it with a pair of brake shoes for my kombi"
I got three kids 21, 19 & 15 this could work :lol:
Don't forget that Easter is at the end of next week, that's real close :wink:
Mike |o\*/o| 55 11 Window

I don't have a bucket list I have a fu#kit list a mile long
smifff
DSKer

Post by smifff »

Time for a bit of lateral thinking :wink: :wink: :wink:
Mother's Day is just around the corner. I'm sure your wife could use a nice 1600 engine in lieu of perfume and flowers. Still make her breakfast in bed though .. to keep earning those Brownie points.
And instead of Easter Eggs (that are fattening anyway) buy the family an assortment of Kombi parts... brake shoes, tyres, bumper bars, spray paint. Use your imagination.. the list is endless. Just gift wrap them nicely and they may not notice.
Brings new meaning to re-gifting doesn't it.

My in-laws had the right idea. One Christmas he bought her a nice new electric drill and she bought him a lovely ladies dress with matching handbag. They didn't mind how much they spent of each other either.

Give it a go... it could work. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dreaming of split kombis.

Daisy our '61 11 window (under construction)
Edna our '74 Camper
Scott
DSKer

Post by Scott »

Nothing says I Love You, like a set of dropped spindels.
winerot
The Chairman

Post by winerot »

I got three kids 21, 19 & 15 this could work :lol:[/quote]

for 21,19 & 15 years you have helped them grow now its there turn
FREE LABOUR :wink:
http://mirrorimageweddings.com.au/
I am seatless none nudda zero zilch, have some lefties seeing that's the flavour of the month :oops:
Penguin
DSKer

Post by Penguin »

Maybe something along the lines of, "Happy Easter Darling. I didn't get you chocolate because it's fattening, and we don't want that now do we. Instead, I've bought you a dropped spindle for your side of the bus". (I'd be interested in hearing back from you on how this goes.)

The other option is to buy her lots of chocolate and take her in the kombi instead of using dropped spindles.

Let me know if you need anymore ideas.
joeM
DSKer

Post by joeM »

smifff wrote:Time for a bit of lateral thinking :wink: :wink: :wink:
Mother's Day is just around the corner. I'm sure your wife could use a nice 1600 engine in lieu of perfume and flowers. Still make her breakfast in bed though .. to keep earning those Brownie points.
:
Its a shame my birthday falls on mothers day this year, I'll only be able to go for one event at a time I think

Easter sounds like an opportunity
thanks Penguin
joeM
DSKer

Started dropping the undies

Post by joeM »

So I had a look under the bus to work out what needs to be unbolted to drop the front end. I thought I would start simple with the cables that feed through everything.

Can anyone help with the clutch cable?
Attachments
Ok I half worked this one out. The clutch cable has a clip that I managed to undo, I then assumed the pin just slides out but no go :(
Ok I half worked this one out. The clutch cable has a clip that I managed to undo, I then assumed the pin just slides out but no go :(
clutchCable.JPG (87.89 KiB) Viewed 6187 times
these pics are just for me to know which holes they live in
handbrake06.JPG (84.79 KiB) Viewed 6187 times
handbrake05.JPG (42.52 KiB) Viewed 6187 times
handbrake04.JPG (99.89 KiB) Viewed 6187 times
handbrake03.JPG
handbrake03.JPG (90.53 KiB) Viewed 6187 times
handbrake02.jpg
handbrake02.jpg (68.84 KiB) Viewed 6187 times
I realized to late that the housing just slides up, I was trying to pry it apart
I realized to late that the housing just slides up, I was trying to pry it apart
handbrake01.jpg (92.66 KiB) Viewed 6187 times
The accelerator cable was easy (thats one thin cable)
The accelerator cable was easy (thats one thin cable)
acsel.jpg (89.43 KiB) Viewed 6187 times
warb
Mod

Post by warb »

cool, cut the brake cables and replace, id also replace the clutch cable, so cut that, and your right, that pin should push through, soak it overnight.. cool pics mate, keep em coming.
martinigreenbus
DSKer

Post by martinigreenbus »

if you can get the clutch cable out in one hit, don't cut it... keep it as a spare ...
my 2 cents....
headstone
DSKer

Post by headstone »

for 19.98 and martini 2 cents you can buy a new one :idea:
60 panel
joeM
DSKer

Post by joeM »

Almost there.
Forgive me for I not know the names of bits I'm working on.
Attachments
Is there a special way of getting this out? I loosened the nut and undid it so its flush with the bolt, tried hitting it with a hammer but it didn't budge
Is there a special way of getting this out? I loosened the nut and undid it so its flush with the bolt, tried hitting it with a hammer but it didn't budge
steering2.jpg (95.32 KiB) Viewed 6142 times
I loosened the four main bolts on the left side to see if I will have any trouble with them. With my handy jack leaver they weren't a problem, I wasn't game enough to use my air ratchet incase I snap a bolt.
I loosened the four main bolts on the left side to see if I will have any trouble with them. With my handy jack leaver they weren't a problem, I wasn't game enough to use my air ratchet incase I snap a bolt.
mainBolts.jpg (67.38 KiB) Viewed 6144 times
Not sure what this small shocker looking thing is called, but I got that away from the chassis
Not sure what this small shocker looking thing is called, but I got that away from the chassis
thingy.jpg (82.69 KiB) Viewed 6144 times
The master cylinder is finally out, one of the pipes snapped just as I was nearly finished getting it out.
The master cylinder is finally out, one of the pipes snapped just as I was nearly finished getting it out.
masterOut.jpg (96.42 KiB) Viewed 6144 times
Got the pins and bolts out but this will be a challenge to loosen up. I've soaked it in penetrating spray and will attack it tomorrow
Got the pins and bolts out but this will be a challenge to loosen up. I've soaked it in penetrating spray and will attack it tomorrow
gearShift.jpg (73.32 KiB) Viewed 6144 times
dawerks
DSKer

Post by dawerks »

That coupler is going to take alot more than just soaking :) It's going to need heat, muscle, the will of God. In the end, you will probably have to slice the coupler in half.

The big 4 bolts can take MUCH abuse, you can put an impact on it without worries. But, I would soak them first from both sides. But this is your last step, you have to remove all the other stuff first. The nut with the cotter pin through can be removed with a needle nose plier or I just put an impact on it and ta da! (Not correct but it's fast).

The damper is your steering damper (you'll need a new one). And a new drag link, tie rods and a center pin bushing kit, 2 new front shocks. All of these parts will make your front end tight!!

Ideally, you don't want to cut anything. You should struggle to remove them (as it's your first bus right?). That way you can appreciate and learn how things go apart (and then it's easier to make them go together!).

The clutch pin will slide out. You should remove the pedals as well to clean and rehone the bushings. They should slide buttery smooth.

Keep going you are kicking butt!!!! :)
Ian 68
DSKer

Post by Ian 68 »

Great thread and photo's, I'm learning loads from this !

This is what makes DSK a great place. For those of us starting out, the help given here will get these buses back on the road and maybe inspire someone to tackle something they didn't think was possible.

Good work everyone !

Best

Ian
Proudly sponsored by Cunado wear.
Tonz Magonz
Mod

Post by Tonz Magonz »

Definately cut the coupler lengthwise with a extra thin cutoff disc if it doesnt budge...Be careful not to crush the shift tube heading toward the shifter..Its a hollow tube and easily damaged..New urethane couplers are available from CIP1...

Keep at it...

Messy job but the only way to learn.. :wink:
Wanted..Barny bits or 60's Supercharger other than Judson