Hi All

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

split surfer
DSKer

Post by split surfer »

Pepper corn tree may have saved the old girl from complete oblivion, yet the left sill and floor closest to the cargo's didnt fair to well, shouldnt complain tho ay. Pressies from Busstop will turn back time.
split surfer
DSKer

Post by split surfer »

Couldnt help myself, while waiting for Roys pressies to arrive decided to pull out front end to clean properly and replace seals etc. Still to decide whether to drop a fraction or keep standard height...Wot do you think??
GottaSplit
DSKer

Post by GottaSplit »

Dump it on its guts 8)
split surfer
DSKer

Post by split surfer »

Piece for Top hat in roof welded in, will be covered by hoodliner but cant take any short cuts.
While she is pulled apart wasnt to happy with how long the battery tray would last so out she will come also.
Front left wheel arch likewise
Passenger floor to replace, obviously the left side held alot of moisture when it did rain, as this area was also covered by the peppercorn tree the most.

Front end was degreased and presuure washed today also, will put up photos of the respray and dropped spindles if i decide to lower soon.
split surfer
DSKer

Re: Hi All

Post by split surfer »

Well, not that i want this to be a.....hello, I'm split surfer, and I'm a frustrated split restorer, i last touched my split screen 5 months ago, round table confession
yet unfortunately my quick restore and coast driving has fell by the way side like a few on here have done so :oops:

I am now all enthused again and the preverbal head is down and the bum is up... More to follow.

Also...........drum roll..........May have a few photos of another, semaphore model from the photos shown, to keep this girl company. And sorry, another steal has found me :D
Attachments
New piece welded in at the rear of the long section, went a little further forward than needed, just to get up to a solid backing to support the replacement panel. Only a light skim coat required here the mig was humming.
New piece welded in at the rear of the long section, went a little further forward than needed, just to get up to a solid backing to support the replacement panel. Only a light skim coat required here the mig was humming.
Replaced before the new L/H dog leg and part floor replacement
Replaced before the new L/H dog leg and part floor replacement
split surfer
DSKer

Post by split surfer »

Head has been down till the wee hours this week. Finally working close to base so have been spending some time on the old girl.
Attachments
Wasn't happy with the durability of a section in the front left outrigger, so cut out offending section and will replace with new steel also while dog leg is off. Jack point etc was still solid
Wasn't happy with the durability of a section in the front left outrigger, so cut out offending section and will replace with new steel also while dog leg is off. Jack point etc was still solid
Wasn't happy with the spot weld infill nor the the fiddly clean up to come when putting in the fab'd rubber channel on front right dogleg and step, so will cut off step panel and replace with new steel.
Wasn't happy with the spot weld infill nor the the fiddly clean up to come when putting in the fab'd rubber channel on front right dogleg and step, so will cut off step panel and replace with new steel.
split surfer
DSKer

Post by split surfer »

A bit more, sorry for some of the photos it looked a lot brighter through coffee eyes.
Attachments
Again, it looked a lot more arty through 1 o'clock coffee and grinding dust eye's.
Again, it looked a lot more arty through 1 o'clock coffee and grinding dust eye's.
Not surprising that inside the fresh air duct can be a future problem without prying eyes, so will replace rubbers and treat as this obviously confronts the full force of mother natures elements. A bit of Patina pawn for the Rat enthusiast's.
Not surprising that inside the fresh air duct can be a future problem without prying eyes, so will replace rubbers and treat as this obviously confronts the full force of mother natures elements. A bit of Patina pawn for the Rat enthusiast's.
Have read a few members problems with old holes and new door cards. Mine was inundated with numerous size screw holes from panels past so plugged them up and will start from scratch
Have read a few members problems with old holes and new door cards. Mine was inundated with numerous size screw holes from panels past so plugged them up and will start from scratch
Front step gone. there was a bit of rust around a few of the original spot welds, hence the larger diameter holes closer to the arch that i will fill with larger spot welds when new step goes in
Front step gone. there was a bit of rust around a few of the original spot welds, hence the larger diameter holes closer to the arch that i will fill with larger spot welds when new step goes in
split surfer
DSKer

Post by split surfer »

Hi Guy's, Have found these two numbers on and under generator stand. Any idea on motor size?
Can't find any info on the BMI number on the bottom!!
Attachments
photo.JPG
split surfer
DSKer

Post by split surfer »

Busy weekend was had, and finally looking like a bus again and that i am getting somewhere.
Attachments
photo 3.JPG
Left hand dog leg has gone back in. gap turned out well after a lot of door open/door closed/door open/door closed. Sill under cargo all done and primed. Short sill in front of rear wheel same. And inside wheel arch all cleaned and primed. Still amazed how solid the bus is and how well kept the paint is, under all that bitumen in the wheel arch. passenger floor in tonight.
Left hand dog leg has gone back in. gap turned out well after a lot of door open/door closed/door open/door closed. Sill under cargo all done and primed. Short sill in front of rear wheel same. And inside wheel arch all cleaned and primed. Still amazed how solid the bus is and how well kept the paint is, under all that bitumen in the wheel arch. passenger floor in tonight.
split surfer
DSKer

Post by split surfer »

Some more late nights. Took back front cab to bare again as wasn't quite happy with the amount of time it was left standing in primer.
Attachments
Passenger floor section back in. Seam seal to go on joint then a spray.
Passenger floor section back in. Seam seal to go on joint then a spray.
Another shot of the dogleg.
Another shot of the dogleg.
split surfer
DSKer

Post by split surfer »

Getting close to colour time. Scraped out all the older seam sealer and put in brand new seam seal through out the whole bus. Picking up Pear White paint in the morning and will start to splash around. Getting a bit exciting :D
Attachments
All new seam seal, will keep fumes and moisture out of joints.
All new seam seal, will keep fumes and moisture out of joints.
photo 2.jpg
blink
DSKer

Post by blink »

Looking awesome mate.
Keep up the good work!
split surfer
DSKer

Post by split surfer »

Finally some colour in her cheeks. Although nearly substituted a Brown and Gold colour theme.
GO THE HAWKS, Back to Back.
Attachments
May have to try the seats in for size. Getting a bit ahead of myself i think.
May have to try the seats in for size. Getting a bit ahead of myself i think.
A bit dark photo, sorry. I want the interior as new looking. Exterior as close to original as can be expected given the resto and undercoat required.
A bit dark photo, sorry. I want the interior as new looking. Exterior as close to original as can be expected given the resto and undercoat required.
Little bit too shiny and new!! looking for the finish i wanted. May experiment with ageing down on a separate piece of panel.
Little bit too shiny and new!! looking for the finish i wanted. May experiment with ageing down on a separate piece of panel.
Calm before the storm
Calm before the storm
tatvw
DSKer

Post by tatvw »

Coming along nice
63 samba
63 Panel
split surfer
DSKer

Post by split surfer »

Time to tickle her belly.
Attachments
My apprentice is showing some promise!!
My apprentice is showing some promise!!
Um'd and Argh'd over a rotisserie, hindsight says i should of Um'd again!!
Um'd and Argh'd over a rotisserie, hindsight says i should of Um'd again!!
So, is this asbestos or not? Pretty clean in side from years of driving on unsealed roads. What are people using to replace this?
So, is this asbestos or not? Pretty clean in side from years of driving on unsealed roads. What are people using to replace this?