'63 11 window

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

MID WEST DUBBER
DSKer

Re: '63 11 window

Post by MID WEST DUBBER »

At the start of the year I decided I wanted to make something useful in year 12 metal work this year. After some thinking I decided I wanted to build a rotisserie for my bus.

After searching the web at different designs I settled for the two 12 sided hoop design as it would best suit/fit the location I plan to work on the bus in future.

This is the basic idea of what I am aiming for...

So with some research and a fair bit of thinking and measuring, I had an idea of how I was going to build the two hoops.

I started off by cutting 24 (12 for each hoop) 580mm lengths of 50mm X 50mm X 3.0mm RHS with 15 degree angles on each end. (the 15 degree angles will join to make a 30 degree, 12 x 30 degrees= 360 degrees)

Ground a 45 degree on the end so the welds would penetrate better.

I then cut 4 lengths of 20x20 RHS which would be tacked into place to hold the top, bottom and side pieces square.

With it all square and tacked I placed the other pieces in place, and when I was happy I tacked each join.

The steel for the second hoop was laid over the top of this one and when they were exactly the same I tacked all four corners of each join and then fully welded the joins.

Will try to keep this rotisserie build updated now and then throughout the process
Shaven
DSKer

Post by Shaven »

Rusty credit to you mate. Congrats... good to see the bus slowly moving forward. Hows the Red Barron going? :roll:
Only those whom drive a Dual Cab, Know what real driving is all about
4REEL
DSKer

Post by 4REEL »

Looking good. But you will need to cut them in half and have a sleeve welding in to bolt them back together. Once you weld the fixing brackets to pickup the existiting beam mounts it is impossible to slide over the bus.
Atleast thats what I had to do.
good luck with it.
1959 panel
MID WEST DUBBER
DSKer

4REEL wrote:Looking good. But you will need to cut them in half and have a sleeve welding in to bolt them back together. Once you weld the fixing brackets to pickup the existiting beam mounts it is impossible to slide over the bus.
Atleast thats what I had to do.
good luck with it.
I will be sleeve joining each hoop in 4 locations and will be having these as a bolt style fixing. I originally planned on separating the hoops as a top and bottom half but have now decided to alter it and split the hoops into 4, making it possible to remove and re-install the front doors for the purpose of setting the door gaps etc.

Thanks for pointing out your concern mate, I just hadn't explained the full plan in the first post and was going to post the info as I progressed with the build.

My plan may be a little clearer when I have progressed a little further and have posted another update ;)

Cheers,
Rusty.
MID WEST DUBBER
DSKer

On school holidays at the moment and wanted to get something achieved on the bus, so I decided to tackle the broken engine lid hinge mounts. Took a little longer than I had expected but it came up not too bad.

A few shots to show the damage and what needed to be repaired...

MID WEST DUBBER
DSKer

Started by cutting out, repairing and welding the hinge guide/ outside sections

Then I started to fabricate the sections for the inside. From factory the tapping plates are spot welded to the hatch. For adjustment purposes I decided to create a cavity for a tapping plate. The OG tapping plates were buggered so I made a couple of new ones...

MID WEST DUBBER
DSKer

These sections proved to be very fiddly but I got there eventually. All welded in and ground back :)
warb
Mod

Post by warb »

noice.
chuck85
DSKer

Post by chuck85 »

Very nice work
63 left hooker
DSKer

Post by 63 left hooker »

Great work there Rusty. Good to see you're putting the school holidays to good use (unlike my kid!!!!!)
61 dc
67 beetle
Cam Biscuit
DSKer

Post by Cam Biscuit »

Impressive work Rusty
HELMUT
DSKer

Post by HELMUT »

Nice job. Its those little fiddly jobs that soak up lots of time
Shaven
DSKer

Post by Shaven »

Great work Rusty... the stuff you have taught yourself to do is a credit to you mate :wink:
Only those whom drive a Dual Cab, Know what real driving is all about
MID WEST DUBBER
DSKer

Very stoked to have been able to find an old photo with my bus in the background. Not sure when the photo was taken but would definitely be 30+ years ago due to this being the owner prior to the family I purchased the car from.

Ged
DSKer

Post by Ged »

Bloody hell is that Turtleman, caught the Eel in his teeth?
Ged

57 11window project
64 Standard Beetle
69 Lowlight
70 CB100 x 2