Can't wait until Christmas....!

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

KombiMadness
DSKer

Re: Can't wait until Christmas....!

Post by KombiMadness »

OK, the paint process will hopefully soon begin but first sandblasting the whole Kombi....
Anyone know about Strip Safe in Botany? And down the 'Gong way or elsewhere in Sydney, any recommendations for sand blasting services?
My Dad's Kombi circa 1967 at Taronga Zoo. I'm the light weight with the skinny legs, my older brother is doing the roof jump!
KombiMadness
DSKer

Post by KombiMadness »

Soon to arrive in the '59 ute tray from California....

New EIS Safaris primered - these are supposedly modeled on original triangular framed safaris. Feedback on Samba rate them as better quality all round compared to Wolfgang and CE; we'll see?
WW oak timber ute bed slats
WW complete deluxe microbus interior - door cards, headliner, bows, seat pads, seat covers. Incl. drink card divider vinyl and all vinyl for trim around all windows and all chrome (actually repro is stainless) door card divider trim bits and the top bit that goes around the drink tray. I chose Silver Beige/Basalt Gray for all door cards and all 3 seat covers.
WW sun visors and radio blank and a few other bits...

The headliner for my year deluxe (1959) was made from nap clothe but I actually prefer the perforated vinyl look - WW had to do a special order for this.
My Dad's Kombi circa 1967 at Taronga Zoo. I'm the light weight with the skinny legs, my older brother is doing the roof jump!
KombiMadness
DSKer

Post by KombiMadness »

Anyone painted their Kombi L87 Pearl White?? What paint code did your spray painter use and were you happy with the end result?
KombiMadness
DSKer

Post by KombiMadness »

OK, found this Glasurit mix on the Samba - anyone use this or can lend some info?

Pearl White / Color code 87 / Year of usage 58-68 All, 67-69B-H

98.4 parts 1051 weiB
01.0 parts 1066 gelbgrun
00.6 parts 1052 schwarz
KombiMadness
DSKer

Post by KombiMadness »

Middle seat repaired, sand blasted, tubing replaced and epoxied. Just missing the 2/3 backrest springs.

bugstylz
DSKer

Post by bugstylz »

Hi Markus,

Looking forward to seeing this bus on the road! Can i ask who you used for the blasting and seat repairs as well as who you plan to use for the upholstery? I'm also up to this stage in my very slow resto

Cheers
Scott
:)
KombiMadness
DSKer

Post by KombiMadness »

Scott,
I used Wollongong Accident Repair in north Wollongong to blast the seat & springs and then seal it in urethane. Then I used a local (cheap) engineering shop to weld up the metal tubing that needed replacing due to rust.
Upholstery wise still not sure but I have ordered the complete interior for a deluxe from Wolfburg West which will be arriving soon. This includes head lining, bows, vinyl for all the window & panel surrounds, complete deluxe door cards including divider/drink tray panels in two tone, seat pads & covers for all 3 bench seats and chrome (actually stainless) panel divider strips.
I've had one quote to install the headliner and glued on vinyl plus fit the seat covers which was pretty reasonable. Fitting headliner in early buses is a bit tricky so I'd rather pay a professional to get it right than fuck it up myself .
Not sure where you live but PM me for details.
KombiMadness
DSKer

Post by KombiMadness »

Well, she's gone to her new home with new owners. Very sad to see her go but we need the money to buy a house.

Consolation is I have my new 59 ute which is awesome and I love driving it. I definitely will own a window bus again but doubt it will have more than 13 windows, unless I win the lottery..... :D
Cam Biscuit
DSKer

Post by Cam Biscuit »

That was quick, well done mate.
KombiMadness
DSKer

Post by KombiMadness »

Cam Arnott wrote:That was quick, well done mate.
Thanks Cam. The buyer had been looking for a while but got sick of seeing serious rust. As soon as he stuck his head under my 15 he was sold. Got the price I wanted, too.....