DSKer

Post by FrankenCab »

very cool , time to fit the leopard print interior into it
Straight axle is better than IRS
KombiMadness
DSKer

Post by KombiMadness »

FrankenCab wrote:very cool , time to fit the leopard print interior into it

I was thinking more of a Liberace theme.....

My Dad's Kombi circa 1967 at Taronga Zoo. I'm the light weight with the skinny legs, my older brother is doing the roof jump!
FrankenCab
DSKer

Post by FrankenCab »

only if you wear the makeup n lippy
Straight axle is better than IRS
067DUB
DSKer

Post by 067DUB »

Great news Markus, looking forward to crawling all over it
KombiMadness
DSKer

Post by KombiMadness »

FrankenCab wrote:only if you wear the makeup n lippy

Only if you dress up as Jamie Redfern and ride shotgun :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Plates are on and took her for the 1st legal drive this arvo (well, driving to VolksMuller & blue slipper is legal but you know what I mean...).

Went to Bald Hill and had a chat with a few mates packing up their paragliders on dusk and took a few snaps of the old girl with the ocean in the background. I can't post them yet because photobucket is doing maintenance.... :?
My Dad's Kombi circa 1967 at Taronga Zoo. I'm the light weight with the skinny legs, my older brother is doing the roof jump!
067DUB
DSKer

Post by 067DUB »

How are you going with the rock star status? Takes a while to get used to everyone looking and taking photos of your car, gives me the shits most of the time..
KombiMadness
DSKer

Post by KombiMadness »

Don't think mine will attract the attention yours does, Chris. Your bus is fully restoed, nice paint job, interior, wheels, etc which is why it gets the attention it deserves.
My bus will only get attention from Splitty lovers who appreciate a clean, rust free original bus. The rest of the public think it's a crappy, faded paint, no interior wreck.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Are you back from the States yet? Are you going to Valla on the Thursday or Friday?
067DUB
DSKer

Post by 067DUB »

Back last Sat, had a wicked time man. I'm heading up for a Thursday arrival with a big bunch of busses from Mexico. See you there pal, enjoy the 15!
KombiMadness
DSKer

Post by KombiMadness »

Hopefully see some of you at Bus n Bugs @ Croudace Bay on the 8th July...
Penguin
DSKer

Post by Penguin »

Hey Marcus, bus looks great, you must be stoked. I wouldn't paint it - blend the paint on the bare spots. Well done for getting on the road so fast.
Dutchy
DSKer

Post by Dutchy »

nice work, 15's are 8)
067DUB
DSKer

Post by 067DUB »

Penguin wrote:Hey Marcus, bus looks great, you must be stoked. I wouldn't paint it - blend the paint on the bare spots. Well done for getting on the road so fast.
yes YES!!
KombiMadness
DSKer

Re: Can't wait until Christmas....!

Post by KombiMadness »

I'm fitting a new Rancho 12v swing axle tranny (tunnel) to my 15 window to replace the leaky split case. I'm keeping and re-using the small nut boxes & axles. I have had the ring & pinion flipped (back) by Mr. Butler to work with the reduction hubs (Rancho has them set up for SA conversion), I have Nate's (Wagens West) front mount adapter, new rear mounts, gasket kit, hexagonal paper shims. I've been told that I also need the 2 plastic daisys to fit the axles to the new tranny?!? Split case trannys don't have them....

Anyone got the plastic daisys they can flick my way?? I can buy them from Mike @ Rancho but they're only a few bucks and postage costs more, plus it'll take too long to get here. I want to fit the new tranny ready for the Wollongong Cruise on 3rd Feb.

Anyone done this and got some helpful tips.... other than IRS or SA it. :lol:

I am happy to keep the reduction boxes for now, happy cruising at 100 kph, happy to have the increased torque & climbing power and happy to keep the bus as original as possible. The new Rancho box is 'freeway flyer' so has taller legs in 3rd & 4th which will give me a little extra (or cruise at the same speed with lower revs) but yes, I know that will be cancelled out a bit because of the reduction hubs - it's cool, I don't mind.

Plastic daisys anyone.......????
matara
Admin

Post by matara »

No daisys, but I can attest to running reduction boxes. My 65 rolls stock with the exception of a freeway flyer 4th gear. I've been driving it daily for the last 15 years on a 1600SP and it runs fine albeit a little bit noisy inside.

I'd recommend trying to find some 46mm big nut reductions over using the 36mm ones. They will give you better gearing:-

KombiMadness
DSKer

Post by KombiMadness »

I tried to find some big nut boxes, put a wanted post on DSK a while back, to no avail.

The other issue would be unknown condition of someone's old big nut - may need rebuild and I don't have time or money for that right now. At least with my existing small nut they are a known quantity - they don't leak and aren't too noisy. The bus also sat for 31 years so they probably have some life left.

But thanks for the suggestion.... :D