Can't wait until Christmas....!

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

Roo
DSKer

Re: Can't wait until Christmas....!

Post by Roo »

Hey Markus, do you know if beetle boxes have the daisies or maybe type 3's as I would have some at the farm I could pull out.
Cheers, Roo
KombiMadness
DSKer

Post by KombiMadness »

Roo wrote:Hey Markus, do you know if beetle boxes have the daisies or maybe type 3's as I would have some at the farm I could pull out.

Not sure, Roo. Anyone know about the above?
My Dad's Kombi circa 1967 at Taronga Zoo. I'm the light weight with the skinny legs, my older brother is doing the roof jump!
jvm
DSKer

Post by jvm »

KombiMadness wrote:
Roo wrote:Hey Markus, do you know if beetle boxes have the daisies or maybe type 3's as I would have some at the farm I could pull out.

Not sure, Roo. Anyone know about the above?
Yes they do.

You can buy them new too:

CIP1
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp ... 2D111%2DPR

VWHeritage
http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Gea ... try_GB.htm

And other places no doubt
58 Flash
66 11 Window
69 Single Cab
19 Arteon
KombiMadness
DSKer

Post by KombiMadness »

Thanks JVM.

Just to confirm, the plastic daisy spacers are the same for all swing axle VW's????? The VW Heritage site says they are but it wouldn't be the first time parts suppliers have the wrong information regarding parts...... I have been sold the wrong part afew times.
My Dad's Kombi circa 1967 at Taronga Zoo. I'm the light weight with the skinny legs, my older brother is doing the roof jump!
matara
Admin

Post by matara »

This is a pretty good site for VW transmission info with some good exploded diagrams. They sell full DIY rebuild kits as well:-

http://www.longenterprises.com

Cheers

Steve
Roo
DSKer

Post by Roo »

If these are the daisies required, they will be in the post tomorrow!! Good luck with it mate.

Cheers, Roo
KombiMadness
DSKer

Post by KombiMadness »

Thanks Roo, you're a legend mate! :D

Did you also fix the water leak?
KombiMadness
DSKer

Post by KombiMadness »

matara wrote:This is a pretty good site for VW transmission info with some good exploded diagrams. They sell full DIY rebuild kits as well:-

http://www.longenterprises.com

Cheers

Steve

Thanks for posting that website, Steve. :D
Roo
DSKer

Post by Roo »

KombiMadness wrote:Thanks Roo, you're a legend mate! :D

Did you also fix the water leak?
Yes I did!!! Another split pipe :x

Slipped off the axle tubes (with a hammer!), then pulled the daisies out! :D
ImageImage
Cheers, Roo
KombiMadness
DSKer

Post by KombiMadness »

Some of you may have noticed that I put my 15 winda up for sale because we're heading OS for 18 months...... luckily this brief lapse in sanity didn't last long and I came to my senses :lol:

Not only am I keeping my bus but I have purchased more goodies for her - Rancho 12v FF swing axle box (thanks Al), big nut axles, axle tubes, reduction boxes & brakes (thanks Mat from W.A.), Wagen West's lollipop front mount adapter (thanks Nate) which is still in the mail to fit the Rancho box to my early doughnut style mount, plastic daisys raided from a Beetle tranny (thanks Roo) & a new in the box Brosol 30/31 pict carby (thanks Chuck) to go on my 1600sp motor.

Why did I buy all these goodies just before going OS for 18 months? Because I'm a Kombi Nut - just check my username!

My beautiful, rust free, very original '58 15 window deluxe will stay that way while I'm gone because it's being stored in a nice dry country shed in western NSW - secret location so you bastards don't find it while I'm gone and claim a 'barn find'...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Those few who know the secret location have had their tongues cut out and typing fingers severed.... :evil:

The last official outing for my Kombi before storage is this Sunday 3rd February at the Wollongong Cruise - come along for a fun day!

Cheers, Markus
KombiMadness
DSKer

Post by KombiMadness »

Hey Everyone,
It's been awhile.......
I will be back in Oz again soon and keen to get behind the wheel of my 15. She has been looked after well but will receive some more loving and attention when I get back.
Stay tuned......
63 left hooker
DSKer

Post by 63 left hooker »

Hey Markus, good to hear you'll soon be re-united with your bus soon :D

See you on the road,

Warwick
61 dc
67 beetle
Squidy
DSKer

Post by Squidy »

See ya soon buddy
KombiMadness
DSKer

Post by KombiMadness »

I'm catching the train down to the 'secret shed in the bush' where my 15 has been garaged for over a year, to drive it back up to the 'Gong. She will then get some attention.... hopefully, a new engine and the Rancho tranny I already have installed by Valla. Maybe, if I'm lucky also a disk brake conversion up front.

I've been inspired by Mitchell & Tom's 15 window restos. I checked out Tom's bus last week - bloody beautiful. That Fiat 500 green looks awesome in the flesh.

After Valla, she will get paint and upholstery..... stay tuned :D
KombiMadness
DSKer

Post by KombiMadness »

Rancho box with 3:88 ratio is getting married to bignut axles and brakes ready for installation. New rear mounts and Nate's lollipop mount will be used for this. Next on the list is a new engine - I have one in the wings that hopefully will happen soon. The shift plate, front shift rod, etc was not happening very well and gear changes were hit and miss. But also because of slop in the old nosecone. I've just ordered 2 new shift rod bushes (the ones that go inside the shift rod tube) from WW as well as a new front shift rod connector (as the OG one is always seized on there). Then put it all together to get a proper and smooth gear change. Up until mid '59, there was no plastic bush under the shifter where the front shift rod slides through the L bracket support - it was metal on metal with a metal M clip or spring. This has now been modified with a Beetle L bracket and a Beetle plastic bush - seems to be working well.

Once the gearbox and engine is sorted, I will be looking to paint. Seal the under carriage and paint the whole Kombi inside and out. I'm still not sure what colour(s) to go for? Whether I stick with the OG SWR/BG or go something else.

After paint, it's trim and upholstery.... so stay tuned. I will probably be driving the 15 to Valla again this year so if any of you want to come over for a chat and give your 2 cents worth on paint options - feel free :)