SC Pickup build

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

dwcustoms
Newly Converted

SC Pickup build

Post by dwcustoms »

After 6 long years I think it is finally time to start building the ride I have had in my head forever...

So here is basically where we start...

I am of the strong belief that it takes a team to build a car in a timeframe so I will be employing the services of some of what I feel to be the best people in the business for getting this thing done. The plan is a little unconventional but It is what I want...

This is prety much how I bought it...

Employed the services of LAMDesigns to do a rendering of directions...

Spoke to the best team I know in VW resto...

Employed a test drive team to drive the body to into the shop...

Moved it into the deconstruction zone...

Sash quickly made one into two...

We really wanted to see where it was going to sit and putting the cab on deck realised that it needed to be lower than this...

Before I could say GO Sash had already repaired the roof and found good solid metal under 50 years of crunk...

Once the roof was repaired we put the cab on its back to reveal more crunk...
BEFORE

AFTER

After removal of the greater part of an entire desert of sand and dirt it was on to the rotisserie for yet more waste removal...

Repairs complete on the cab and rust removed it is now ready for the blaster...

Whilst waiting for the blaster Sash had the doors dipped and deoxed them and has now completed all the repairs on them as well...

The cab goes to the blaster tomorrow weather permitting and I have been feverishly working on the cad for the front chassis section which I will add to the list of stuff to follow on this build... Will keep eveyone updated as things happen...
dwcustoms
Newly Converted

Post by dwcustoms »

Sasha is doing an amazing job... I feel really fotunate that he might take on this build and am super excited to see its progress... Plans are quite extensive so here goes with a brief list... final details will become clearer as we progress...
Stock looking SC pickup channeled over a scratch built chassis designed to lay flat sheetmetal all round on air suspension, BMW 5 series IRS with custom built tube IFS. Mid mount 6.0L corvette V8 disc brakes running on 15" or 16" whichever will fit over the brakes cragar deluxe wheels. Paint will be simple as per the rendering and I would like to run interchangeable deck elements like safari seats/canopy and or steel rack and or hay sides... The list continues but it gets pretty boring reading really so best get back on to the CAD work and try and sort out some laser cutting for the chassis components...

On with the progress...
Doors return from the dippers...
Cab went to blasters and has returned... Sasha has been flat out deoxing and metal conditioning this thing and I really cant thank him enough for the work to date... Delux Kustoms is where it is at... Time to order some parts...
Amazing to see it in primer this early in the piece... So much to do and so little time...
Doors repaired...
Last edited by dwcustoms on Sat May 05, 2012 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dwcustoms
Newly Converted

Post by dwcustoms »

2011 saw far too little progress to justify posting... This year I am commiting to finish this thing as it represents the corner stone to a turning point in my life. Whilst Sasha now has the final panels to get the cab ready, I have been working feverishly on repair sections for the rails which once complete will be jigged square and joined to accomodate the suspension parts and engine...

Whilst I have been doing the rails I blasted the rear suspension and sent it to the powder coaters which has now returned so i can make up all the crossmembers needed to hang the suspension from. Will post pics once it all starts going together again...

dwcustoms
Newly Converted

Post by dwcustoms »

After going back and forth buying multiple sets of doglegs there are now gersons doglegs on their way from das auto in QLD... In the meantime Sasha has cut some more holes to make way for the new.
I have also built a chassis table to start setting up the rails and suspension on. This will also give Sasha better access for more cutting and replacing.
Once the new doglegs arrive we can really start getting the cab sorted... All the other panels are sitting in waiting...
dwcustoms
Newly Converted

Post by dwcustoms »

So Sasha did some more cutting and then started piecing some of the sheetmetal parts back together...
New lower inner nose...
New pillar lowers... After POR15 application all masked ready for etch...
Front indicators deleted and all etched...
Rails tacked to bench and squared...
Rear chassis section sleeved and overlapped all tacked in...
A view from the top...
All welded up and smooth...
Mocking up the BMW rear end...
Etched to protect...
froger
DSKer

Post by froger »

Man , friggin unreal .. That bloke knows his stuff .. It's going to be kickass when it's done .. Good one 8)
Cam Biscuit
DSKer

Post by Cam Biscuit »

Please allow me to be the first to say....Faaaaark

Will be watching this one with interest.
nick62
DSKer

Post by nick62 »

Faaark yes what an unreal start to what will be a shit hot ute 8) 8) 8)
more betters for goods nicer
Ian 68
DSKer

Post by Ian 68 »

Brilliant work
Proudly sponsored by Cunado wear.
63 left hooker
DSKer

Post by 63 left hooker »

This is a build I can't wait to see. Great work and vision, keep it up :shock:
61 dc
67 beetle
MAMMO
DSKer

Post by MAMMO »

You are doing a great job lov it 8)
GottaSplit
DSKer

Post by GottaSplit »

What an awesome thread.... lovin' the pics... keep 'em coming
Shaven
DSKer

Post by Shaven »

im glad 2 other ppl have said it... BUT FARRRKKKKK :shock:
ive seen Sasha's work before... its stunning :!: :!: :!: + he is a bloody nice bloke.
Only those whom drive a Dual Cab, Know what real driving is all about
byronbus
Admin

Post by byronbus »

Thanks for the pics, we need more of this on dsk... sasha is doing a great job...
FrankenCab
DSKer

Post by FrankenCab »

is this show only or rego able , as it would be awesome on the rd