Keep at it and we will be both at valla/macvillie in our buses in 2022
I may join u!!!!

2024. Hahahaha
2024 , might see you
splitthis
DSKer

Re: 60 11 window

Post by splitthis »

Got my rear seat back from the trimmer today. It had a busted seam on the front edge and a side panel was trashed beyond repair. I’ve been buying up all the OG trim people have taken off of seats to have re-trimmed for the last few years so I had plenty of OG vinyl to use to fix mine. None of my seats are perfect but they’re all 100% OG vinyl, the front and middle are actually untouched and super nice.
C0E7ED59-301C-4C77-B547-C575C6BCC5C3.jpeg
85A5A120-68A0-4820-B369-37378831279A.jpeg
6DCF981A-74D2-4C76-9FBE-12E774ACF6EC.jpeg
0010FF4E-BCBF-4CE4-961A-784A100B21F5.jpeg
Chasing any Neiman steering lock parts, will consider anything.
MID WEST DUBBER
DSKer

Post by MID WEST DUBBER »

That’s awesome mate!!
rusty 55
DSKer

Post by rusty 55 »

Very nice mate
it’s got nuffin to do wiv yer “vor sprung Durch technic” ya know!
vanell
DSKer

Post by vanell »

Nice seats Matt, is OG better than NOS, and why is it OG shouldn’t it be OE ?
morts
DSKer

Post by morts »

Looks good Matt, keep pumping...
No matter what happens they can't take you out in the street and shoot you......
splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

vanell wrote:Nice seats Matt, is OG better than NOS, and why is it OG shouldn’t it be OE ?
A great question Wiz, I’m glad you asked.

OG= original, as in it left the VW factory IN A BUS.
OE= original equipment, a genuine part made by VW or one of there suppliers. Perfect in every way and exactly the same as the parts that were on the busses when they left the factory but made new recently (not many OE parts available for busses, VW Germany are making hubcaps and a few other small parts)
NOS= New Old Stock, OE parts that were made back in the day, these are the gold standard for bus parts considering the lack of OE parts. Expensive, hard to find but guaranteed to fit without fucking around.
Repro= reproduction, shit, avoid at all costs.

Now my personal ranking system

1-OG to YOUR bus. May not be as perfect as a NOS part but was in your bus when it left the factory and that’s worth something.
2-NOS
3-OG but from a different bus
4-OE (would be above OG but they don’t really exist)
100-Repro suitable for mechanical parts only and even then :?

The only other category I think we missed was free parts but Colin hoards all of them so the rest of have probably never seen one.
splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

I've been on nights again this week, so as well as getting paid your tax dollars to watch movies (according to Colin) I also got some time in the garage. No major work done, I just focused on tidying up previous work and trying to finish all the little miscellaneous jobs before my final push on the cab doors (paint next year is the plan).

I had a couple of inner and outer window frame repairs to do.

Then i finished up closing out the lower cargo door hinge area which i needed to open up to replace the nut plate.

I decided to cut out the upper join of the rear 1/4 panel because it was all rusty, I've seen a few busses rust out again under fancy new paint in this area so decided to bite the bullet and do it properly, glad i did because as you can see it was caked with rust. I cut it right back, opened the seam, wire wheeled it and then used rust converter before hammering it closed and adding a new flange.

splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

Both my pop out hinges were bent, rusty and just generally trashed, enter NOS Steve who had a pair of NOS hinges still caked in cosmoline 8) .

Then it was just grinding down old welds and tidying up odds and ends. I still have a little bit to do in the cargo area (still grinding welds from the 100's of random screw holes i welded up) and one more pop out hinge and then the body is done.....I think.
morts
DSKer

Post by morts »

splitthis wrote:Both my pop out hinges were bent, rusty and just generally trashed, enter NOS Steve who had a pair of NOS hinges still caked in cosmoline 8) .
How good's that :shock:
No matter what happens they can't take you out in the street and shoot you......
Zimblewinder
DSKer

Post by Zimblewinder »

Shows real grit and determination (putting down the bickie to take a photo of your hinge job). :D JK, clearly determined to do a great job and it shows. Nice work
March 58 Euro 23.
April 59 Mango
Wanted:
59 crank handle (tick!)
cargo door outer handle 59
two perfect rear floor mats (pretty pretty please!!!)
splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

Well I had some leave booked in this week to go to Valla but obviously that didn't happen. I managed to get a couple of days in the garage instead.

I remember seeing people selling cab doors for $500 and thinking "these guys are fucking crazy, who would pay that"

Fast forward to this week working on my passenger door and I would pay $1000 for a solid door. This door was so bloody rusty in the frame, the skin was ok but the frame was swiss cheese, to make matters worse The lower inner i ordered was for the wrong side :roll: so everything had to be made from scratch or scavenged from OG scraps. Big thanks to the Wiz who gave me a really rusty inner frame that just happened to have some of the pressings I needed. Ive removed the lower hinge and strengthened that with a tapped 6mm plate in behind the original strengthener, ill weld it once I have checked the gaps but for now its just bolted in place.

In the beginning...

Plugging away

Rusted out short brace

This bit pissed me off. The holes on my door were all ovaled out and I thought that was so you had adjustment in the mech. Then I looked at the donor from Wiz and they were round holes, so i removed both, welded in the "better" piece only to discover that my drivers door had ovaled holes too. There must have been a change at some stage in the early/late doors. Ill just open the holes a bit to match later.

So this is what 2 solid days of work will get you, still haven't touched the skin but the frame is nice and solid. Just need to weld up the holes from drilling out the spot welds.
colin elmer
DSKer

Post by colin elmer »

Looks great. Must be missing watching videos?
morts
DSKer

Post by morts »

Great perseverance Matt and how good is the Wiz??

And to think I thought this bus wouldn't take that much to get on the road... :oops: :shock: :lol: