DSKer

Re: 60 11 window

Post by 1958kafer »

That's brilliant! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
spl65t
DSKer

Post by spl65t »

Cheeseboard wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:47 am Just done some reminiscing about life.

You bought this bus Matt in 2012 after a “3-4 year search” takes it back to 2008 worse case scenario.

In that time, I’ve had four dogs (two died of old age and one from being kicked in the head by a cow) but we only ever had one dog at a time. The current dog is two years old.

How many more dogs have to die before this bus is on the road Matt!
HaHa Classic, I don't know poor Matt personally....but he can't be that bad a fella can he ?

Gonna roll with x2 more dogs for what it's worth....sorry Matt :D

Linz
Der Splitty.....slowest thing up the Blue Mtns, since Wentworth, Blaxland & Lawson :twisted:
vanell
DSKer

Post by vanell »

I told him it will never be finished in my lifetime, and I included Big Dave in that as well
Dogs Ha, it should be how many Ian’s have to die before it’s finished
And if he does get to finish it off before I die I will be more than likely in a nursing home and won’t know who the fuck he is anyway
braddick
DSKer

Post by braddick »

Na I beg to differ
Matt will get it done
Not sure how where back on this topic, oh that’s right cheeseboard brought it up again
Get that house Reno finished and get back on the bus and give us a update
splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

The moment I saw the notifications I knew the shit would be flying.

I’ve been searching for the right fake turf to finish this thing off. Cheeseboard did you ever think that maybe I just don’t like dogs? Leave is booked for August, I’m hoping a solid month will get the final bits of welding done and most of the metal finishing done then onto filler work (which is quiet so can be done when the kids are in bed).

No one wants to see this thing done more than me but you pricks are next level. I could slap some bog on it, paint it some shit bright hippy colour, roll out the turf and be done with it this week but I’m better than you…. I mean that, I’m better than that.
Chasing any Neiman steering lock parts, will consider anything.
splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

Well I have almost run out of jobs to do on the wife's new palace and I'm on nights this week so just trying to get a few little jobs done.

I have all of August booked off work to do nothing but work on the bus so hopefully despite the shit I cop on here, I will actually make some progress.

I acquired this cool Hella isolator switch which will mount next to the battery, the red key is removable so it also doubles as a bit of a hidden immobiliser. I'm going to mount it through the whole in the D pillar in the engine bay.
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg (35.36 KiB) Viewed 4544 times
image0.jpeg
image0.jpeg (34.66 KiB) Viewed 4544 times

I had previously cut down the steering column 38mm after doing the box raise and I wanted to gusset the weld. I also have a Neiman steering lock so with the help of my mate Mick we machined up a gusset/steering lock collar.

I went to see the Wiz today and he TIG'd it on for me, a bead at both ends and 4 plug welds for extra security. small steps are better than no steps. Thanks Wiz for putting up with me, sorry it was a head fuck :lol:.
image2.jpeg
image2.jpeg (48.78 KiB) Viewed 4544 times
image5.jpeg
image5.jpeg (47.37 KiB) Viewed 4544 times
Attachments
image4.jpeg
image4.jpeg (54.47 KiB) Viewed 4544 times
Cheeseboard
DSKer

Post by Cheeseboard »

Good stuff Matt
Ideas man
Minister for Finance
Scared of wife finding out what I’ve spent
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

I know I am going to get roasted for this but just wondering why didn't you get the shaft shortened and re-machine the taper and thread? Have you stress-relieved the shaft after the welding?
splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

You’ll get no roasting from me.

I did it this way because I have a grinder and a welder. I don’t have the skills/equipment to build a modern marvel of engineering like you, this is a basic backyard build.

For what it’s worth there are literally hundreds of busses getting around with shortened/welded steering shafts with no gussets at all and lots of them are high mileage busses. I’m 100% confident that this will hold up to any stress a bus puts it under.

As for shortening and re-machining the taper/thread, my understanding is that’s not ideal. The top end of the shaft is actually partially forged into the taper, which means if you just cut and machine then that area ends up thinner than it was originally.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

First things first, you will get nothing but total respect from me for anyone doing any sort of home build whatsoever. We all have to work with the tools and skills we have, me, you everyone.

I have been in the engineering game (I am NOT an engineer) all my working life since doing my trade. I don't think that makes me better than anyone else, but I do think it gives me a better understanding of some things engineering-wise. This is meant as an observation, not a criticism. Cutting and welding a steering shaft is just not the right way to do it. The steering shaft in mine is from CE, and is machined from a single piece (like the factory one). The engineer had zero issues with using it. Why? Because that's the sensible, strongest, and safest way to do it. When you weld, first of all, you are at the mercy of the skill and competence of the welder (and the day they are having), you introduce lots of localised heat, and it's too difficult to determine if it's done right or not without expensive testing. Plenty of my welds look great, I shudder to think what they actually are like underneath. I have never seen a forged taper, that's not to say it hasn't been done, but I have designed dozens of tapered joints, all machined. Thinking about it, prob the easiest thing to do would be to cut and re-spline the other end, a very simple job if you have the right gear.

My point is this, there is a time and a place to do it yourself, and a time and a place to get it done by someone with the gear and knowledge you/me/us don't have. Steering is one of those times. I really wish we could all have these kinds of discussions without me coming across as a smart-ass, I am just trying to contribute my experience. Thats all.

And as a last thought, and in reply the Wizz ages back saying engineers were responsible for the west gate bridge collapse, the greatest racing driver of all time Senna died because of a welded steering shaft...
vanell
DSKer

Post by vanell »

I told Frank to put a sleeve over it but he wouldn’t listen, something about saving weight
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

vanell wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:17 am I told Frank to put a sleeve over it but he wouldn’t listen, something about saving weight
I think he learned that from Colin Chapman... :D
Cheeseboard
DSKer

Post by Cheeseboard »

Wise words indeed.

High and slow is the way to go. Gives me a chance to see people waving and time to wave back.
Ideas man
Minister for Finance
Scared of wife finding out what I’ve spent
vanell
DSKer

Post by vanell »

Engineers still need a Test Pilot, someone who is willing to take the risk and test it out. I think that’s how things work, Senna was a test pilot and I bet an engineer welded that steering shaft. Test Pilots should be awarded for having a go, I’m sure not every thing brakes and you die, but learning from your mistakes is what it is all about, having a go at modifying things is what Hot Rodding is all about, you cannot put shit on something that you haven’t personally done yourself because after all it may just work fine
We need more Test Pilots
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Man were you dropped on the head by an engineer at birth or something, seems to be a lot of pent-up hate there for the profession buddy!! Basic sound engineering principles don't need test pilots.