Original Paint - then and now!

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

Dasdubber
DSKer

Post by Dasdubber »

SWR is probably the most varied factory colour in restorations so you've got your work cut out :)

Its amazing at the big shows in the US how many variations of SWR there is side by side amongst the deluxes ranging from barnies up.

As Hoves mentioned, I know Steve Hopkins spent a lot of time tweaking the formula to get as close to original as he could - I haven't done a bus in SWR to date so unfortunately can't be much help. I would suggest getting your brother to match an area of paint on your bus that hasn't been too UV affected.....at least then its 'correct' for your bus. Unfortunately whatever variation you choose, someone else will always claim to have a more correct variation hence the advice to matching something on your bus.

Just my 2c :)
Cheers
Al
KombiMadness
DSKer

Post by KombiMadness »

Thanks Al and everyone else - appreciate your input! :D Two (or more) heads are better than one.....

Hey Hoves, is this your 23 that Steve Hopkins restored? If so, the SWR looks really good in this photo.... actually, I typed before I looked properly; of course it's not yours because this photo ain't a 23.... duh!
But it is a Steve Hopkins bus so can I assume it's the same mix of SWR he used on your bus?!?

My Dad's Kombi circa 1967 at Taronga Zoo. I'm the light weight with the skinny legs, my older brother is doing the roof jump!
KombiMadness
DSKer

Post by KombiMadness »

OK, how about this one? Is this your 23 Hoves......

My Dad's Kombi circa 1967 at Taronga Zoo. I'm the light weight with the skinny legs, my older brother is doing the roof jump!
GFresh
DSKer

Post by GFresh »

IN2VWS wrote:
In my paint chip draw, along with the other ones.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Show off :wink:
Hoves
DSKer

Post by Hoves »

KombiMadness wrote:OK, how about this one? Is this your 23 Hoves......

Yep, thats mine !! I can only assume that Steve used the same colour on anything that was to be done in Sealing Wax Red, but give him a buzz t confirm..