The Yellow Peril

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

Dibsy
DSKer

Post by Dibsy »

Thanks for the advice Nick, i am putting in IRS in the back with adjustable springplates, just wanted to balance the front up - would flipped spindles be enough ?

Klaus, too late .... TBH it needs a bit of work on the sides / roof as well as the bottom six inches so this way i will get all the old bog out and get it solid again.... Painting isn't in the budget, although a neighbour has stepped forward to help !

Just need to do what i can do then lock it away and start flogging stuff on epay :shock:
FrankenCab
DSKer

Post by FrankenCab »

flip spindles would be plenty you can lower more with tyre sizes too and I'd run adjusters to level it out ..buy the creative springplates great quality and no exchange needed average cost from classic is 440 (use lowlight bay ones )
Straight axle is better than IRS
Dibsy
DSKer

Post by Dibsy »

FrankenCab wrote:flip spindles would be plenty you can lower more with tyre sizes too and I'd run adjusters to level it out ..buy the creative springplates great quality and no exchange needed average cost from classic is 440 (use lowlight bay ones )
I have Indian Springplates & IRS kit ... Hope they hold up :roll:
thebear
DSKer

Post by thebear »

Looking good Dibsy. Patience. It will all be worth it in the end. 2014 Valla sounds like a plan.
Seeing the Peril loaded up for blasting bought back memories of Manfreds build.
K
The ad said rust only in the usual places...
71 Type 3 wagon "Paddy"
65 11 window "Manfred" by DAS
56 Panel. One day......
Dibsy
DSKer

Re: The Yellow Peril

Post by Dibsy »

Well, Goodbye to the yellow ! My bus is back from the blasters .....

Now i can see what was hiding under the paint .....

Here's a bit of damage that i missed, something has hit into the window buckling the top part of the panel, so the pop out doesnt seal properly ....

Even the solid looking roof revealed some rot - something i would have missed without the blasting ....

Time to let Das Resto weld in some metal ...

Just some of the random rust holes lurking underneath ...

Still plenty more welding to get it solid though!
Dibsy
DSKer

Post by Dibsy »

My dear little Yellow Peril is now back in the shed for a couple of months whilst i wait for my new cab floor, A pillers & doglegs to arrive via AL from Germany.

Al & the team have just about welded up all underneath and replaced the inner & outer sills on both sides as well as all crossmembers, outriggers and jacking points. They also had to weld in just about anything hidden like the B post bottoms, C post bottoms etc etc !

What looked like a pretty solid project has turned into a bit of a dog as the blasting revealed an awful lot of accident damage at the drivers side front and the drivers side rear from the roofline down .... even the solid roof revealed tons of dents and rust holes all over the place !

My 20k budget will be well and truly blown but i am not ready to jump ship and buy a better one, so i am booked in to TAFE on a welding course so i can tackle all the little bits like the holes above the doors and the dented window openings. Al will be welding the front end on for me along with complete A pillars on both sides, i can tackle the bottoms of all the doors :shock:

So here's photo's of work so far, Al has allowed me to do all the grinding of the welds so that i can save some money and that is what i will be doing for the next few weeks.....

Heres the Dolly wheels Al made for me

And my new front

Still a bit of work making a new lip and then the battery tray goes in

Onwards and upwards......
Ian 68
DSKer

Post by Ian 68 »

Good to see progress Mark, it'll all be worth it in the end mate....honestly it will !

Best

Ian
Proudly sponsored by Cunado wear.
tar76
DSKer

Post by tar76 »

Looking good mate this will be all worth it in the end. Nice work also by the Das Resto crew!
62 Single Cab.
Triumph thunderbird bobber
62 XL falcon.
And for F#%k sake no peace signs!!
Dibsy
DSKer

Post by Dibsy »

It's been a while since i posted any progress, as i have been waiting for my Gerson panels to arrive via Das Resto Haus. My new cab floor, A pillars and Doglegs have arrived so just waiting for a space to open up at Das Resto so these can be fitted. Because of the multitude of holes everywhere i am also going to invest in my own welder and attempt to do the small repairs myself - of course this means spending cash not only on a welder but also on getting a 15amp circuit hooked up in the shed !

So progress wise i have just been doing some grinding and managed to unseize my heater tube closer, revealing a small piece of the lovely yellow that it was in when i bought it ......

Dibsy
DSKer

Post by Dibsy »

I have luckily found a set of rear bumper irons complete with splash pans on them ...

Now i just need a pressed rear bumper !

:D
Ian 68
DSKer

Post by Ian 68 »

Well done mate, keep it up..

Nice score on the irons and pans..
Proudly sponsored by Cunado wear.
Leroy
DSKer

Post by Leroy »

Nice work mate! Still cant believe you bought those rear brackets and splash pans for $40 :shock: 8)
2018 Year of the Barndoor
Cam Biscuit
DSKer

Post by Cam Biscuit »

Dibsy if you are only doing light welding you can probably get away with grinding the earth pin on your 15amp lead and using the 10 amp plug....

You'll know if you are overloading the circuit ;) but its worked ok for me doing light stuff....
Dibsy
DSKer

Post by Dibsy »

Thanks guys for the kind words, Couldn't believe my luck with the pans either Leroy, i paid double that for my old set :D

Good call on grinding the plug mate, certainly worth a try and if it keeps tripping the fuse then i will have to upgrade the electrics.

Cheers.
kombi niko
DSKer

Post by kombi niko »

Great job on the blasting, mines taking ages!! What media did they use to blast the surface?